Question of the Day, Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A great part of the world is either self-isolating, or under governmental orders to isolate. And we're all worried, and trying to keep busy. What are some of the best ways you've found to fill the extra hours? If this is stuff that anyone can do, all the better, and many of us would welcome suggestions for kids!

Honestly, I'm as close to a hermit you can be and still live in a town. However, I've been looking for new things, just in case. I spend several hours a day on the computer, to Hekitty's great disgust. I even searched out some new games at Microsoft. AND I'm going to catch up with organizing my collection of books, which is now nearly 1000 strong. AND I'm planning a couple of counted cross stitch projects. IF I had an eReader, I'd be ordering from Kindle to save some space, but as it is, the shelves, I'm sure, will be getting more crowded as I order books on line from my favorite used book seller!

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wish I had extra hours. We went back to normal working hours this week (the last two weeks we got done an hour earlier). I did as many people my age have and got Animal Crossing for my Nintendo Switch to try and fill the empty space in my weekends. I also still have to put together the cupboard I bought over a month ago...It's just sitting in pieces...D:

I'm a "creative" type, so I have writing to work on and illustrations to putter at. I haven't been to the movies in about a year, so there's plenty for me to catch up on through whatever is available on Amazon (although I've mostly just been rewatching old movies). I also have a ton of those therapeutic coloring books just in case I've exhausted all options.

One of the channels I watch on youtube is apparently going to be doing a DnD adventure through video call, so if roleplaying games are something you're into, you could set that up with your friends! Honestly I would love to do that. The issue with multiplayer in Switch is that I really don't know others who have it and even if I did, our online times would be vastly different due to time zones. haha Speaking of which, it's my mom's 60th birthday on Friday, so we're trying to put together a family video chat (my brother also lives separately) to simultaneously watch a movie. It will be Saturday morning for me~

Other than that, I also find it soothing to turn on the oil diffuser and just kind of zone out for awhile (no drugs required). I don't get a lot of sleep during the week so I love taking naps or just being still on the weekends. I'm pretty good at clearing my head, or I'll just think about the characters and plots in all the stories I have going. I know it's not something everyone can do, but it's like a less "intentional" form of meditation. There's actually an annual "zoning out" competition here that I think I would be very good at if I won the lottery selection (I didn't the year that I tried to enter)

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For me at the moment its not a problem. The weather is unseasonably sunny and warm so I'm keeping busy outside, powerwashing, fence painting that type of thing. Once with weather goes back to normal its a different matter. I have some painting to do indoors but will spend most of my time reading and will dig out my jigsaws. It will become more difficult the longer it goes on for people who are unable to do DIY but its a good time to sort out those cupboards and drawers. Jigsaws and crosswords are a good way of keeping the mind active.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i don't get out much to socialize, though the little socializing i do (and enjoy doing) is not happening now (my state is under 'stay at home' order -- except for 'essential services', and we're able to go grocery shopping and to pharmacies).

so i'm doing the usual household chores, and still moving firewood. i'm watching television more, playing computer games, and have ebooks to read. i've got other projects to spend time on, too.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a homebody by nature, so I'm not "trying" to fill my time to keep busy, I simply "have" the time to do things I normally wouldn't...If you ignore the scary stuff...I'm kinda happy at the moment. I've started with all my indoor spring cleaning, taking it room by room. I also have a list of household projects that I can get to when the cleaning is all done, like refinishing my coffee table, finally hanging my artwork (I moved into this house over 7 years ago :paperbag: ), and some other stuff. I also have a bunch of books on my kindle and coloring books. I'm keeping busy with indoor stuff only though, we still have way too much snow to start with any yard work.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a homebody, too, for the most part, so I don't have (much of) a problem. I'm taking time out to read and to watch some of the tv programs that I never watched much before. We have outside chores to do and then I have my normal indoor housecleaning chores.

Trying to get back into walking, but every time I do, that darn foot starts to bother me. I'm on the fourth walking day again and I can feel twinges. Meanwhile Rick is walking outside, doing our 4.2 mile loop almost every day. I'm happy for him, but also insanely jealous, too.

I love to hang out in the kitchen, so I'm baking things that I wouldn't normally spend a lot of time (or have a lot of time) baking. My hamburger roll dough is proofing as I type. And I have to admit that I'm enjoying the time in the kitchen.

But I also have to admit that I'm starting to come down with a bit of cabin fever. I want to start working on the path to the shed, but can't go out to buy what I need. I was never much of a shopper, but I still enjoyed going to antique stores just to see what's out there. Things like that. I do miss visiting with good friends, going out to dinner with them, cooking for people. I miss going down to the Green Dragon. We had planned to do some things this spring that we don't see us doing now. The big thing for us is to continue to stay at home. (Dear Richard said we could plan our big vacation this year....to the shed!)

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same stuff here - yard work when weather permits, grooming the pets, housework, reading, trying a few new recipes, and watching some TV with hubby. As for keeping kids busy ( mine are grown) you could try googling science experiments you can do with kids. I had a link for that for my grand daughter, but lost it when I reinstalled windows on my laptop. Help them learn about different animals. Start a plant together and depending on the ages of the kids, teach a little about botany and where the plants came from. For example the Rhizanthella gardneri is an orchid from Australia that grows completely underground! Excuse the plant nerd in me! ;) For some adults the videos on YouTube by the History Guy may be fun. He covers things that they don't tell you about in the history books. For myself I have been looking at my dining room furniture and thinking it is in desperate need of refinishing. I am just not 100% certain that I can do it by myself, never have done it before.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm trying to go through cabinets, closets and drawers and organizer and get rid of things I don't really need.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I have been sleeping later and have to admit I enjoy not setting an alarm. I should be decluttering since it's on my to do list but it hasn't happened yet. ;) I've been catching up on phone calls with old friends instead of texting or sending e-mails. It's so nice to have a leisurely conversation with people I care about or haven't talked to in awhile. And DH and I have been walking every afternoon, weather permitting.:walk:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am retired so my days aren’t too different than in the past except for fewer shopping or store trips. Not that I don’t spend some of the day sitting and surfing on the IPad but it is important to me that every day has a purpose and that I end each by feeling I have accomplished something. Whether that is doing a bit of cleaning, building something, working in the yard or going through a closet, I try to have a project or goals planned for every day. Some kind of exercise is always on the list.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lots of museums and the like have put educational programs and virtual tours online. Many are kid-friendly. Check the web sites for your local museums or any museum you have always wanted to visit.

Some other ideas:

You CAN go outside to get fresh air, exercise, walk the dog, etc. Just practice social distancing, although that may be hard to do with stir-crazy people crowding popular parks and outdoor spaces on warm sunny days:

Local animal shelters may still need help from home-bound volunteers and others for various easy to do at home things.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I was actually accomplishing things, but I've just been sitting on my couch watching Netflix for the last 6 days. I have a lot that could be done like unpacking from moving last Monday, but I haven't. My sleep schedule is out of whack too. I should put together a plan for each day. Things I need or want to get done are unpacking, crafting, writing, reading up on gardening, organizing, and actually doing some work from home.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still work, but other than that during my off days:

- Do house projects/Clean house
- Clean the side of the roads. I take a big garbage bag, gloves and go down my county road and big up garbage.
- Spend time on the internet, games and TV
- Go for a walk
- Spend time with furbabies <3
- Read and drink tea
- Take online ballet classes

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Work has been on quarantine since March 13th, and now, it's been extended to April 13th. I've never been away from work for this long! We can only get 1.5 week vacations at a time.

I've been making jewelry, painting jewelry boxes and knitting cat shelter cage blankets. I've also been slow-cooking: yesterday, I made cabbage, fresh mushroom and carrot soup, and another slow-cooker full of beef stew.

Today, I did some kitchen cabinet re-organizing.

Sometimes, in the late morning, I take an hour's nap on the sofa, as my arm and shoulder still hurt a bit when I'm sleeping (it will be 7 weeks tomorrow!), so I don't sleep very well some nights.

The cats are so happy that I'm home! I'm getting lots of love from some of them.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
View attachment 327739

Sorry I posted this here by mistake. I meant this for another thread.
I know this was a mistake, but it's funny because I had ordered a cat tower online right as this all heated up in China and they couldn't deliver it because the factory was closed. So...the one thing I wanted but couldn't get was a cat tower...

Jewely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A couple of years ago I joined a coloring app. I actually joined several but just stuck with one. I get on there now and then and color a bit depending on my mood. Some apps are free and some you have to pay to get the better features. I can’t color in a regular book, or draw anymore due to my health so it’s a great outlet and fun!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No extra hours here! I could come up with a bunch of crafty things to do. Puzzels to put together and books to read. But its pretty much school as normal here. I’m used to not going out every day.