Question Of The Day, Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My birthday was this past Friday, and one of my gifts was a lovely pair of really good-quality cubic zircona earrings. Now, I know just enough about jewelry to know that a high quality cubic zirc can be more expensive than a lesser quality diamond, and these are small enough that they look real, and not absurdly silly. Which brings us to today's question.

Do you have a favorite gem stone, either precious or semi-precious?

I actually am not very fond of diamonds, to tell the truth. But I love love love amethysts! I also love moonstones! If you aren't familiar with them, take a peek:

If I could design my ideal ring, it would be a central moonstone flanked by tiny amethysts.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, Happy Birthday Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 ! All the best wishes from Speedy and R raysmyheart !!:purplebutterfly:

This is a wonderful question. I do not collect jewelry or like to wear jewelry, but I LOVE to look at the stones just for their own beauty. Soooo amazing!

Two of my favorites are amber and citrine, both of which can be yellow. All stones are beautiful, though!

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite gemstones are the phenomenal ones, with opals being my favorite. The really fantastic ones I would not be able to afford. The best opals go to Japan and Middle Eastern countries where they are treasured. The colors in the stones below roll around when you move the stone in your hand. My favorite!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Of the stones that I both can and will buy for myself my favorites are aquamarine and blue topaz. With the precious stones my favorites are sapphires and emeralds. I have never been a big diamond fan either.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy birthday Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 !

I don't wear a lot of jewelry - my job isn't the best for it, but it's so pretty! Like Boris Diamond Boris Diamond I love opals - but I'm superstitious and they're not my birthstone, so I won't buy them for myself (my parents got me and my sister Australian opals when they were there, and I guess it's okay if someone else buys it for you).

My birthstone is a ruby, so most of the jewelry I have features that. They're pretty, but I prefer green emeralds.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the cubic zirconia earrings from JCPenney. You can get some really nice affordable jewelry there.

Kitty Mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't wear jewelry but my favorite stone is a ruby. My mom gave me a small ruby ring for my high school graduation and is always been very special to me. I have a special box I keep it in.

Wenda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:celebrate: Belated Happy Birthday! :celebrate:

I like anything shiny (kind of like a dragon), but today my favorite might be opal or malachite. I also like agate especially because they're so easy to find walking around WY.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Diamonds, lots and lots of huge diamonds!I've got several colored diamonds too, so can get any 'stone' I want because there is most likely a diamond in that color too! I especially adore black diamonds. I have never seen one like an opal though, have to work on that!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you all for the lovely birthday wishes!

MAN, we are a colorful lot around here! Amber...I forgot amber. My grandmother left me a beautiful amber necklace. It has faceted beads alternating with the most intricate filigree silver beads, and a large pendant set in filigree silver.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy belated birthday, Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 !

Precious or semi-precious gems, don't get me started! I don't wear much jewelry except I have some favorite rings, some with stones but many that are made of wood (this is one of my fave etsy stores-- they also have ready-to-ship). But I do like to collect cut and uncut stones and beads, cabs and jewelry findings, etc., in case I make jewelry in the future. :)

I like moonstones a lot too, but I also like umbalite garnets, idocrase, and sapphires.