QUESTION OF THE DAY, WEDNESDAY, JUNE 9, 2021

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Our dining room set is inherited from my aunt who possibly got it from my grandparents, not sure. We had it stripped and refinished because I'm not sure wooden furniture is as sturdy anymore.
A lot has to do with the type of wood, e.g. my husband collects antiques and does appraisals so the wood furniture is at least 100 years old. Oak, maple, walnut and mahogany are four of the most durable woods to use for a table. If your grandparents table was made from any of these type of woods then it is well made. 👍

I had a Maytag washing machine that lasted for something like 40 years dating from my teens.
We inherited a Maytag washing machine from the previous owners of our last house and brought it with us to our present home. It's now approx. 35 yrs. old and you know there's no way a new washer would last that long. 🙄 The Maytag Company was based in Newton, Iowa and when Whirlpool bought them they moved their manufacturing to other states and Mexico thereby leaving the employees in IA without jobs. :frown:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
neely neely I always liked Whirlpool appliances as well but am not as happy with the dishwasher as the filtering system is not up to par. When I looked for a new washer and dryer I considered the Maytag commercial style as it still had an agitator but it has very low reviews, so they probably aren't the company they used to be.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I can't think of an appliance so I'm going to say jeans. I had a pair of jeans that I bought when I was in high school and was still wearing regularly when I was 30. These days jeans seem to fall to pieces within a few years,. I know I'm pretty hard on clothes, but jeans are supposed to be outdoor work clothes. You'd expect them to be a bit tougher.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I think electric appliances have gone down hill over the years. It seems like I have to run out and buy new appliances way before they are suppose to go bad and this is after normal use and maintanence. The worse is Computers and Washing Machines. I get so ticked off of computers crapping out on me, that I would love to do this. :crash: Piece of junk!
Do they want us to run out every few years or way before the usual lifespan of our appliances/electronics and keep buying more crap products? Long gone are the days where something lasted you for many years. You are not getting much bang for your buck these days. SMH!

Last edited:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot has to do with the type of wood, e.g. my husband collects antiques and does appraisals so the wood furniture is at least 100 years old. Oak, maple, walnut and mahogany are four of the most durable woods to use for a table. If your grandparents table was made from any of these type of woods then it is well made. 👍
I believe our table is oak!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
neely neely I always liked Whirlpool appliances as well but am not as happy with the dishwasher as the filtering system is not up to par. When I looked for a new washer and dryer I considered the Maytag commercial style as it still had an agitator but it has very low reviews, so they probably aren't the company they used to be.
Yeah, maytag is garbage since they got bought out by whirlpool which has also really gone downhill. If you want a good washer/dryer get a speed queen, they're almost as good as maytag used to be.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do they want us to run out every few years or way before the usual lifespan of our appliances/electronics and keep buying more crap products?
Yes, of course they do :tongue: .

With what we ask of computers, I'm pretty sure that's about all we can expect from them. If we went back to just playing Oregon Trail then they probably would last longer. But who wants that? Lol.

The long cycles on washing machines and dishwashers is to save water. There's usually a fast cycle option that would use more water. So it's a choice between speed and your water bill, you can pick which one you prefer.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know with you guys, but there is definitely one thing that came to my mind. When I was a kid visiting my mother's hometown every summer I used to see this "appliance", back when the place had poor electricity supply. It is an iron and is very heavy to use. You had to literally put charcoals inside to make it work. Now there is nothing like this anymore as far as I know:

1623301265177.png

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Computers for sure. It might be because I use them everyday for many hours, but I feel like I need to replace my computer often because file sizes get bigger and everything slows down quickly. Another thing is furniture. I know it's because things are cheaper, but things definitely don't last as long because of the cheaper materials. I need to invest in some high quality furniture.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Computers for sure. It might be because I use them everyday for many hours, but I feel like I need to replace my computer often because file sizes get bigger and everything slows down quickly. Another thing is furniture. I know it's because things are cheaper, but things definitely don't last as long because of the cheaper materials. I need to invest in some high quality furniture.
If your computer is slowing down it's probably not because it's getting old, it's more likely it's getting full of malware.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are not. I brought a Maytag disherwasher and had nothing but trouble with it. A repairman told me that it was because they used plastic parts. This was 10 years ago so things might have changed but I will never buy anything else made by Maytag. I got rid of the Maytag after a year and brought a Kenmore. I've had the Kenmore for 9 years and I have never had a problem with it.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For me it was more because my old computer couldn't handle me using it for lots of data processing and then running ArcGIS which took up a lot of memory.
Yeah, that would do it too. I guess I have a bad habit of comparing everyone to my mom, last time I upgraded my gaming computer I gave my old one to her, and within a month it was so loaded with malware it took almost 10 minutes to boot up and was running at 80% memory load when idle.