QUESTION OF THE DAY, WEDNESDAY, JUNE 16, 2021

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love bowling. Unfortunately the local bowling alley closed. This is what I think "killed" it: almost every night they had league or a private party or something. Only had open bowling maybe one or two nights a week, and it wasn't scheduled so you sort of had to guess. When it was open in the evening, the regulars shouted rude things at you, leered openly, and swore a lot, so you didn't want to bring kids.

They started charging something like $10 a game and $5 for shoes, which, incidentally, looked, smelled, and felt like they gave them to a dog in between wearings instead of disinfecting them. They rushed you along if you took more than 15 minutes a game, and half the time the ball return and/or the pin clearer was broken and took 5 minutes to reset itself, or the guy had to go in back and whack something (and gave you grief if he had to do that). So it was basically $70 for 2 people to get 45 minutes of being rushed by a bored teenage employee, waiting for the ball to come back, and being sexually harassed by drunk old guys. No thanks.

But I really enjoy the actual bowling!

As for my closets, I don't have any :tongue: . My house is a converted barn and they didn't think of that, I guess. My last house was old and had exactly one closet, and I swore my next house would have plenty of closets. Oh, well. If I ever get to build a new place it'll have lots of closets. . .

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
A backpack for when I go hiking, hiking poles, my winter hiking boots wrapped up in newspaper and put back in their box, a wildlife trail camera, a Go-pro and a box full of all the different attachments that go with it, a tool kit full of nail varnish, nail stickers, nail files and other nail stuff, a pretty cardboard gift box full of other pretty cardboard gift boxes for when I have a gift I need to wrap, a camera and camera case, some lenses for taking close up pictures of wildlife from a distance, a plastic box full of various leads and cables and a huge cloth bag full of old fleeces and blankets that I recycle and sew into cat bedding.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I only have two closets in my house. One has a little bit of everything in it the other has some of my daughters stuff in it still along with some of my mother in law’s stuff. My house looks like a catch all at the moment.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry that your shoulder pain put an end to your bowling. At least you got to enjoy it for a good while and finished out with an awesome season. You probably have a lot of good bowling experiences to share with others. Sadly, I don't think the younger generations took to bowling, that's why there are so few bowling Alleys around anymore. At least it seems that way in my neck of the woods.🙂
It was fun, true enough. I bowled on 1 handicap league, and carried a season average of 206- first time ever- and had a 700+ scratch series- first time for that, too, but I'm all done for the duration.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never enough closets! In our coat closet I have leftover ceramic tile from the kitchen remodel several years ago and a tool box. The tile was to heavy to lug down into the basement. Spare bedroom closets have junk that the kids left home (books, my daughters old portfolio, sports stuff and several guitars). Our closet has a small file cabinet for important papers.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I love bowling. Unfortunately the local bowling alley closed. This is what I think "killed" it: almost every night they had league or a private party or something. Only had open bowling maybe one or two nights a week, and it wasn't scheduled so you sort of had to guess. When it was open in the evening, the regulars shouted rude things at you, leered openly, and swore a lot, so you didn't want to bring kids.

They started charging something like $10 a game and $5 for shoes, which, incidentally, looked, smelled, and felt like they gave them to a dog in between wearings instead of disinfecting them. They rushed you along if you took more than 15 minutes a game, and half the time the ball return and/or the pin clearer was broken and took 5 minutes to reset itself, or the guy had to go in back and whack something (and gave you grief if he had to do that). So it was basically $70 for 2 people to get 45 minutes of being rushed by a bored teenage employee, waiting for the ball to come back, and being sexually harassed by drunk old guys. No thanks.

But I really enjoy the actual bowling!

As for my closets, I don't have any :tongue: . My house is a converted barn and they didn't think of that, I guess. My last house was old and had exactly one closet, and I swore my next house would have plenty of closets. Oh, well. If I ever get to build a new place it'll have lots of closets. . .
Well there is definitely some truth to that. I remember getting turned away on Tournament nights, also the parties that nearly took up the whole place and yes other people that come with a large group of family and friends and hogged up a bunch of lanes. If the bowling Alleys handled things a bit better no one would feel shut out or rushed. It is fun bowling. I find it hard to find these Bowling Alley's. The last place I bowled was inside a Dave's and Busters Mega Arcade. There was practically no one there because everyone was playing video games. I would go there again.🙂

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
This is very timely as I just helped a 75 year old male friend go through a closet that had stuff dating back to the1970s when it was a share house! Way too many odd things to share here. :lol:
Mine is very boring.. I store picture frames.