Question of the Day, Wednesday, June 12, 2024

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning and Happy Whiskers Wednesday! :runningcat: Like so many members on TCS I have a fondness for all animals not limited to cats alone. Over the years DH and I have rescued and tried to help a variety of different species some of which include: a opossum that showed up injured outside our front door, a baby squirrel we found in a parking lot that we think fell from a tree, a baby bunny that a group of crows were attacking, while driving we saw a box turtle in the middle of the road so we pulled the car over and gently carried it back to a nearby pond, a countless number of birds and several dogs who were lost in our neighborhood, all of which I’m happy to report were reunited with their owner.

HAVE YOU EVER RESCUED AN ANIMAL THAT IS NOT A CAT?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Michele and I were at the town clerk's office to get our marriage license, a woman came in with a puppy that someone had dumped near her home, and she was looking for the man who handled such things for the town. We asked to see it, Michele fell in love with it- it was a German shepherd male, maybe a month or two old- so we adopted him. The upshot was, I needed a notarized copy of the license for my education benefits under the GI Bill, and there was a $5 fee for that, but because we took the dog, we got the copy for free.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
bro in law and i spent a hot summer day trying to catch a 3 foot monitor lizard that was running loose in his town house community. the lil kid who owned it helped us after finding out it was his lizard we were trying to catch.:lol: it was chaos soon as the kid got all his little friends outside to help look for it

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Only neighbors dogs that have gotten loose. Two escaped the backyard. One got out when their front door popped open somehow! Thankfully their younger dog was kenneled inside because the other dog wouldn’t let me get close enough to stop darting away.

DH and I also found a VERY old spaniel wandering towards a busy road near our old church. A mailman stopped and gave us water for it and another couple got an extra leash they had. Eventually a man came walking up the street looking very relieved we had her. I think she was just so old she was getting a bit senile. Since then I’ve had a leash in the trunk of my car; just in case. I’ve had pets get irritated by tags when they got old too. It’s a good case for buying the kind that slide on instead of dangling.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
More than I can remember! I learned from the best: my dad. He was always rescuing creatures from our yard. Baby bunnies whose mother was killed in the road, toads from our window wells, a baby squirrel. I’ve saved all of those, too, over the years, plus two baby skunks in my window well (at different times), ducklings who tumbled into drains, turtles in the road, a small alligator, a skink who got in the house, bats and mice in the house, a tarantula, a hummingbird… I try to save everything!

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I also do my best to rescue or help outdoor animals in need.

A baby racoon whose mother was killed on the road, raised her until an adult and then turned her loose on my property where she continued to return for a couple months with her babies.
Moving turtles off the roadway on my way to and from work when I was still working.
A very small dog I found under my deck, very scared, thirsty and with an injured back leg. I surrendered him to a local rescue that was able to repair his rear leg with surgery. I called back a few days after and they said it looked like someone had tossed him out of a car and that's why he was injured. :mad2: He was eventually adopted by someone.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
All of my dogs were rescues. The last one was technically through a GSD group who came upon him in a shelter, and my JRT type terrier was directly from a shelter adopted by me. The other 5 were all streets rescues of one kind or another.

Siberian hamsters taken in when the owner had a disastrous car accident. Fiona thought she had died and gone to heaven when I walked in the house with a cage full of rodents.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
A baby racoon whose mother was killed on the road, raised her until an adult and then turned her loose on my property where she continued to return for a couple months with her babies.
That's wonderful, you're amazing! :goldstar: By any chance did you get a photo?

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted both of my dogs from a rescue. I personally didn't rescue them though. They were born into a foster home (they are from the same litter, by the way) and I got Poppy when she was a puppy and then I adopted Roo after he got returned to the rescue when he was a year old.

Going on a tangent here, but I get upset thinking about him getting returned because it took awhile for him to understand that I was his forever home and he wasn't going to have to go through that trauma again (I suspect his first family had a fire and that was why he got returned because he shakes in fear anytime he smells smoke). When I first got him it was really hard to connect with him, but during a training session, I got him super hyped up and excited and that was the exact thing he needed to understand what I was trying to communicate with him. Anyway, Roo is very, very sweet and he loves kids, so since I'm planning on having a baby soon, I'm excited to see how he reacts to a kid in the house.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always get the turtles out of the roads when we're out and about.We had a dog for many years that someone dumped in town and she showed up at a friends house.I fell in love with her,hubby not so much,so we brought her home and named her Olana (after the Frank Lloyd Wright estate in NY)...Lana for short.She didn't much care for the cats,so we had to muzzle her from time to time ,which she hated.She was a beautiful girl...short coat that was a beautiful shade of red.Not sure of breed...she looked like a small dobie (ears done and tail docked) but in taking her to be checked out at the vet,he found she'd been abused with all her scars from being chained,and a gash on her shoulder,and she was afraid of men.I was still working but Harry had retired,so he was home with her,and she became his dog.Followed him everywhere.....sat at his feet under the table.A couple of years ago,he took her out to potty and some jackwagon came down the road,swerved into our driveway,missed hitting Harry but hit her and she was gone.That quick.We know she had a much better life with us than wherever she came from(she was my LooLoo) and she is buried at the end of his garden,covered with 4 oclocks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We know she had a much better life with us than wherever she came from(she was my LooLoo) and she is buried at the end of his garden,covered with 4 oclocks.
I am so sorry for the way Lana lost her life. :hugs: But Harry and you showed her affection and taught her to trust humans again. It was fate that you were at your friend's house when she showed up that day.:hearthrob:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for the way Lana lost her life. :hugs: But Harry and you showed her affection and taught her to trust humans again. It was fate that you were at your friend's house when she showed up that day.:hearthrob:
I believe that too.She was meant to come home with us...nobody else would have given her a chance.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I grew up on a farm and people were always dumping dogs around us because it was a very rural area. Both of the dogs I had growing up were strays. I could only have one dog at a time. When the first one passed away the next friendly stray was my dog. That second one lived for many years, several years past when I left home.