Question of the Day, Wednesday July 27, 2022

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning and Happy Whiskers Wednesday! :catface: Today is Norman Lear's 100th birthday. :celebrate: Just in case his name doesn't ring a bell for you he was the creator and producer of some of the most famous sit-coms, e.g. All in the Family, Maude, The Jeffersons, etc. He has never stopped working and credits his longevity to laughter. :thumbsup:

QUESTION OF THE DAY -
IF YOU LIVED TO 100 WHAT WOULD YOU CREDIT YOUR LONG LIFE TO?

My first thought was coffee. ☕ It contains antioxidants and is linked to other health benefits. I also try to lead a healthy lifestyle while still having fun. But one of the most beneficial parts of living longer for me would be sharing my life with animals especially my feline friends.:catlove:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I chose my ancestors wisely. On my father's side, they were notable for long lifespans- my 3X great grandfather, born in 1760, lived to 88 years old. Both parents were in their 90s, and my paternal grandmother was 101, so it would seem that I have a shot at it.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Genetics and animals. My great, great grandma was 106 when she died in 2004, both of my grandpas lived into their 80s, my paternal grandma is still alive (I think she's 82), her mom lived until she was 88 and her grandma was my great, great grandma as mentioned. I have had a lot of animals in my life and they are my reason for living and make my life full.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure about luck...both my parents passed in their early 90's and neither one of them were well at the time,so there goes the genetics.I don't know...I try and live a fairly healthy lifestyle,I watch our diets like a hawk for the most part,try to keep my stress level as low as I can,stay on top of things with very good health care, and then there's the kiddos,both feline and canine.and they are a great source of peacefulness for me.I guess we'll just see how it goes.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Genetics. Also, I have a very strong mental will. I would love to see how my kids would become and how their own families would turn out, and also spend much longer years with my pets. So I am willing it!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Genetics and taking care of yourself are the keys. The ratios are different. I seem to have the genetics, a lot of people that lived long lives but the taking care of myself not so much. I will see how strong the genetics really are.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
This Time article is interesting.
It seems the people who live longest have good, supportive community/family structures, eat well and exercise. But of course there's always the M26 marker, a genetic variant linked to extreme longevity

My lot are not long-living, but then I'm firmly in the 'it's not how long you've got but what you do with it' camp. :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HEY! It could happen! All but one of my great-aunts and uncles on BOTH sides of the family (almost 20 total) lived to be well into their 90s, with 4 of them living to be 100 or more. 105 was the oldest one to die. So, good genes, and LOTS OF CATS!