Question of the Day, Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last night I just didn't feel like cooking anything at all. So I opted for a bowl of cereal. I sat contemplating my supper, and this drifted through my mind...

Is cereal a soup? Why or why not?

And darned if I know...It actually might be!!! This is the dictionary's definition of soup:

a liquid dish, typically made by boiling meat, fish, or vegetables, etc., in stock or water.
"a bowl of tomato soup"

BUT...gazpacho, vichyssoise, and naengguk are all cold soups, to name just a few. Not hot. And many soups are grain-based, and many use milk or cream rather than stock or water. So...

I'm gonna say yeah, cereal IS soup! It will make me feel much better about supper last night, at any rate!

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app

Leads me to reply that barley soup is most definitely cereal but that Girl Scout Cookies, although they are mainly made out of cereal, are not soup.

I eat cereal all the time, just not the kind that comes in a cardboard box with pictures on it and costs $4.50 for not even enough to fill you up if you haven't eaten in awhile. That would be dumb an inappropriate use of my resources. I like the cereals like oatmeal, barley, rice, cornmeal, quinoa when I can afford it, couscous when I'm travelling, etc. that you find in the bulk section. I like to make soup with some of them sometimes and other times I make something different.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure that cereal is a soup - however in my opinion there is no shame in having cereal for supper! A quick, nutritious and yummy food....think of all the fortified vitamins it contains :)
I agree. There is nothing wrong with having cereal for dinner. Or lunch. It's no worse than having pancakes, waffles, etc for dinner. Most people have likely done this at some point in their lives. I feel that there's no wrong time to eat anything. If I ate a piece of pizza for breakfast (I have and will again), does that make it a waffle? Eat what you want when you want and do it proudly! :cheerleader:

RIP Tardar Sauce (AKA Grumpy Cat) :rbheart:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'd say that cereal is more of a snack than anything. IMO, there's really very little nutritional value in many of the cereals today, although the manufacturers would love for us to believe otherwise. I've never eaten cereal for dinner, although eggs, waffles, even pancakes can be dinner items for us. But hey, we eat what we want when we want and there's nothing wrong with that at all.

I've eaten pizza for breakfast a lot of times.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Not a soup. All foods are either protein, fat, carbohydrate or fiber. Grains have a little bit of protein, sometimes a little fiber but are mostly carbohydrate. Carbohydrates are sugars or break down into sugars as they are digested so when you have a hot or cold cereal you are having mostly sugar for breakfast or dinner.

Those of us who are diabetic have a defect in our ability to process sugars and our bodies produce no or not enough insulin to keep our blood sugar level after eating carbohydrates. That’s why most diabetics have to limit their mealtime and snack carbs.

Last edited:

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
Susan is absolutely spot on about how diabetes complicates daily life and I'm really glad she pointed that out.

A lot of humans who like to eat meat are unaware of the actual protein needs of our species and worry way, way too much about getting enough protein. Cold cereal (Cheerios, Corn Flakes, Raisin Bran, Super Sugar Crisp, Fruity Pebbles, etc.) with 8 oz of pasteurized cow's milk poured over it is deficient in a lot of nutrients, but protein isn't one of them, lol.

It is almost impossible for a healthy person with a reasonable income living in a first world country to develop a protein deficiency. When you ask a veg*n, "But where do you get your protein?" you make yourself look just as silly as the veg*n would look if they asked you, in all seriousness, "But where do you get your fiber? If you can't defecate, you will die! You have to stop this silly fad diet right away before you ruin your health!"

I think a lot of us worry too much about being judged for what we choose to eat, but I don't think those worries are necessarily unjustified.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
Does anyone remember Bill Cosby’s skit on giving his 2 yr old cake for breakfast? He reasoned “hmmm, it’s got milk, eggs, flour; perfect!” He gave it to her😉. Though his mrs. was upset with him for being so brilliant:). Cereal and milk is cereal and milk but who really cares if it’s soup or not, it’s yummy 😋! I’d say; eat it for dinner! After all, you’re not going to hurt if it’s once in a while...