Question of the Day, Wednesday, January 25, 2023

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was afraid I would date myself if I told, but we must have been in the same class, so here goes. The only car growing up that we had was a 1947 Hudson. It was a medium blue that eventually powdered. Dad had it repainted green, and by the time I was in high school it was the bane of my existence. The floorboards rotted out and were replaced by boards. Friends asked if it was my car it was such an old beater. After I graduated in 1961, Dad bought a Rambler, new. What a step forward.
One of our neighbors had a Hudson Hornet, the exact year I don't recall. The last new car that my father bought was that '57 Nash Ambassador; a dark green color, but it should have bright yellow. Yeah, a real lemon.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not worried about dating myself - just look at this!

The windscreen wiper was run off a battery and passengers had to walk up any steep hill which the poor car couldn't tackle. My youngest sister was so ashamed she used to hide under the back seat in case any of her friends saw her.
Spectators thought we were part of the rally when we once got caught up in the London-to-Brighton Veteran Car Run on our way to visit my brother at boarding school!
:lol:

Last edited:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My father brought a used Hudson and rebuilt the engine. I don't remember what year it was. In 1957 we got our first new car. It was a 1957 Plymouth sedan with wings. Then a tan 64 Dodge Dart sedan. That was the car I drove as a teenager.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I learned how to drive on a Chevy Nova. I remember having a Chevy Malibu and Chevelle when I was a kid.