Question of the Day, Wednesday, January 25, 2023

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning and Happy Whiskers Wednesday! :kitty: I woke up to snow this morning which is supposed to continue through the weekend. ❄ It's a lovely winter wonderland as I look out my window but not fun when you have to clean off your car. Even if you have a garage you still have to clean the car when you go out whether to work, shopping, errands, appointments, etc. Growing up we did not have a garage and I remember my dad getting up early just to clean the car and his parking space on the street in order to go to work. He had a Chevy Impala and that car was his "baby."

WHAT MODEL AND MAKE WAS YOUR FAMILY'S CAR WHEN YOU WERE GROWING UP?

MeezeIfYouPlz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The only car I remember from my early childhood is my mom's Metropolitan, red and white, like the one pictured. I probably remember it because we were in a wreck, rear-ended, in it. The only other car I remember is a 1979 two door Chrysler LeBaron. We were also rear-ended in that one, just two blocks from where my parents drove it off the lot, brand new. My mom cried. Insurance had it fixed and it later became my first car.

Screenshot_20230125-102641_DuckDuckGo.jpg

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my...there are so many!My Dad,bless his heart,had a thing for cars,and it seems like every time we turned around,there was something else,or in addition to in the driveway.I can remember a Willys jeep,an old Chevy of some sort,several pickups,a Studebaker,I do recall he had at least one Rambler,a beautiful Desoto with fins and I was very intrigued because I think it had a push button transmission,he fell in love with the Checker taxis in NYC and had to have one,so he got it new from the dealer.There was also a pretty red Ford station wagon I think he bought new,and a Saab he thought was cool because it never seemed to get stuck in our winters and had a green troll on something under the hood...my Mom drove that car almost exclusively.I believe the last car he had was when he was living in Raleigh with my brother and it was a black Ford Galaxy.There were more over the years...I just can't remember them all now.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First my Dad only had a bicycle, then a small motorbike, followed by a motorbike with sidecar (one seater) and then a motorbike with a sidecar which carried 2 plus a small child! If the family had to travel a long distance, we older children would start walking and dad would travel backwards and forwards until all 8 of us were at our final destination. I was allowed to travel pillion (no helmets in those days 🙈 ). Shortly before I left home, he took his driving test and bought an ancient Morris 8!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gosh. My mom had a series of older used cars. Then when I was in elementary school she managed to buy her first ever brand new car. It was a red Mazda Protégé. She drove that car until after I was married and out of college.

My Dad was the same with a series of old, used vehicles. I remember having a big red/orange van. It only had 2 seats and the back was probably designed for commercial purposes because it didn't have windows or seats. It didn't have shoulder belts and one time I remember having to sit backward on the ground (I think in a booster seat) behind him with his belt around me. That would NEVER be acceptable today!! After that he had a beige and red pickup truck and I loved going over big hills in it because he'd get enough speed that my stomach would flop when you went over the top. I loved that back then! Now; not so much. :lol: :barfgreen:

Dad is a classic car guy so I also remember riding a lot in a 70 something Chevy Nova. We did trips in that one and my stepmom mainly used that car. Dad still has it too. I always had to sit in the middle between my stepbrothers because they would fight (typical boy/sibling behavior). How come the good kid always gets to be uncomfortable for the ones that can't contain themselves? :rolleyes3:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the time before I left home, my father also had 3 pickup trucks; a '49 Ford F3, a '53 Ford F100, and a '62 Ford F100, all bought used. That last one I helped rebuild, as it was stolen and wrecked, but my boss bought it from the insurance company and repaired all the damage. My father bought it in '64, and drove it for 10 years.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first one that I remember was a '46 Pontiac, followed by a '54 Rambler, a '57 Nash, a '59 Rambler wagon, and a '62 Pontiac wagon.
I was afraid I would date myself if I told, but we must have been in the same class, so here goes. The only car growing up that we had was a 1947 Hudson. It was a medium blue that eventually powdered. Dad had it repainted green, and by the time I was in high school it was the bane of my existence. The floorboards rotted out and were replaced by boards. Friends asked if it was my car it was such an old beater. After I graduated in 1961, Dad bought a Rambler, new. What a step forward.