QUESTION OF THE DAY, WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 19, 2022

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I don't particularly like grocery shopping. I see it as a necessity or an essential task. So if DH and I go to the store together I always say, "let's get in and out as fast as we can." I think since the pandemic there's been a big boom in on-line shopping and delivery. But as much as I dislike grocery shopping I dislike the thought of someone else picking out my produce or substituting items for me that are out-of-stock. I understand that it can be a convenience for people who work long hours, don't drive, are ill, live far from a store, have a disability, etc. I have to admit there's been a few times when the thought of someone else shopping for me and delivering my items to my front door has been tempting especially in bad weather.

QUESTION OF THE DAY - HOW DO YOU GET YOUR GROCERIES? IN-PERSON, ON-LINE DELIVERY SERVICE, CURBSIDE PICK-UP, ETC?

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had them delivered, but have been going to the store lately. I also hate having someone else pick things out for me, plus there always seems to be a mistake. Like the time I ordered a certain number of apples ( I think it was 5-6) and ended up with 25 pounds of apples! I got a bag of every variety the store had! Because of the pandemic they would not allow returns.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I now go grocery shopping together with my grown-up daughter once a week in-person. It has become a habit and (almost) enjoyable!: Benefits being:
  • only using one car
  • any difficulties (payment, cash, general upsets) are easily dealt with when there are 2 of us, and time needed lining up at counters can be halved!
I also worry about ordering on-line and picking up. If I drive I may as well choose my alternatives and check the sell-by dates. There's no point buying products on sale, if they all have to be eaten within two or three days! I have never placed an order - even though the companies are always sending me vouchers - 10% off and no service charge!

Here dry goods can be delivered (normal postal services) but I only order for delivery when I want things not available locally (for instance: British Christmas food products :)).

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we tried the curbside pick up once at the start of covid was a waste of time you dont get all of your order. plus kinda makes me mad paying for bad/damaged/rotted veggies i'd rather mask up take my chances to buy in person and be able to pick out my groceries myself if i had a house with enough yard space i would just grow my own veggies and raise some chickens

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had them delivered, but have been going to the store lately. I also hate having someone else pick things out for me, plus there always seems to be a mistake. Like the time I ordered a certain number of apples ( I think it was 5-6) and ended up with 25 pounds of apples! I got a bag of every variety the store had! Because of the pandemic they would not allow returns.
I used to order my mothers groceries online and overall it worked pretty well but we did have a few occasions like yours where we got a massive amount of one thing or another . Very annoying.

Last edited:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A mix of in person and curbside pickup. I vastly prefer in person because I like picking out my own produce and substitutions. And I get a bit of baby free time. But right now with Omicron and choosing to have J's birthday party, we're doing curbside so in case we got covid, we won't spread it around, and beforehand so we wouldn't possibly get it there.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I go in person. I like to pick up what I want. Trying to do my errands in one day, so I can hibernate!!! 😆

Since I have been making my meals, this year— not eating the dining room food, I am really stocking up, every other week.

When we were in lockdown, quarantine; I did some deliveries from Instacart. The first order was awesome— what a good shopper. But as the pandemic went on, I found the quality of the shoppers worsening.

I was glad to be able to get back to the store.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Every Sunday morning, 10:30 or so, my husband and I head off to the grocery store. The store isn't busy at that time (and the store is huge so it's not a problem to maintain a distance between us and the other shoppers). We eat so much fruit (30+ pieces a week) that we aren't willing to risk someone else picking it out for us. I prepare our list ahead of time, and we know exactly where everything is in the store. We're in and out in about 25 minutes. We're masked, and we use the self checkout so we feel relatively safe.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In person. Usually, what I'm buying is also limited enough that I do self checkout. The other day when I went shopping, the self-checks were all open (there's six spots on each end), but the manned checkout lines had lines (hard to get through the front of the store because they were so backed up).

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
In person. Rick and I go together. Since the beginning of the pandemic, we’ve been going once every 4 to 6 weeks and I try to get enough to see us through. During the holidays, we went more often because people did visit with us. But now, we’re back to our new normal of 4 to 6 weeks. Always with our masks.

I do buy the girls’s food from Chewy; this last time, I had to go to Target online as Chewy didn’t have much. I buy ten cases at a time, if I can, an assortment. It doesn’t last long.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I go to the Supermarket in person and buy other things online. I go early on Saturday morning before it gets crowded. I did that before the pandemic, I don't like dealing with a crowded store and lines to check out. I go early and get in and out quickly. I go weekly but many weeks it is just a few things. I rarely have a large order.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister once ordered a ham and they brought her like 10 pounds of baloney from the deli.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have mine delivered, but have been in the stores a few times. I'd rather shop for myself, but husband says we should stay out of the stores for now, and I agree. Hopefully once we get through the omicron surge we can get a little bit more back to normal.