Question of the Day, Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
These stories remind me of one I had forgotten. One of my boyfriends in college—one of the sweetest men I’ve ever known—gave me a black eye. We were clowning around, and he was trying to dab mustard on my nose. I had locked my elbow while he was pushing his finger toward my nose, but he was a college wrestler and extremely strong. My elbow buckled suddenly and he punched me in the eye. It looked worse than it was. He was absolutely horrified, of course, being the gentle soul he was. I felt more sorry for him than for me.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another dumb injury, but not on my part. Our hay baler had broken down, so we used our old machine to load loose hay onto our wagon, and it fell to one of my sisters and me to unload it into the barn. We were standing side by side when for some reason June took her pitchfork and, in going for another fork full, drove a tine through my right foot. She saw what she had done, screamed, dropped the fork and ran to the house, leaving me to fend for myself.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
While talking on my cell and walking down the stairs without turning on the hall light I accidentally tripped over the dog who was sleeping on the landing. My phone went flying and so did I. 😱 I hit the back of my head on the wooden stairs but I'm not sure who was more frightened, the dog or me!

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
The dumbest I ever did was fall in the freezing rain. It was dumb because I assumed that, since there was no ice on the west side of the house, that there was no ice anywhere. Many of the bad mistakes I have made in my life were because of faulty assumptions. :) I strutted confidently down the east side cement stairs. They were icy! My right leg went flying. My left leg collapsed and flew to my left and the fibula broke. At least, from evidence of scattered debris, I think that is what happened. My shoes flew off, too. I lay on the stairs in the freezing rain stunned for a while before I got up and limped off to bed. Went to doctor and then orthopedist the next day.

At least I did not hurt my back, break my hip, tear a muscle or mess up my knee! It was about four years ago, and I have healed up just fine, with no after affects.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was about 10 or 8, I don't remember, Dad ordered me to weed my small flower garden.He certainly wasn't a gardener himself as he told me to do it when it hadn't rained for days and the ground was hard as a brick. I ran in my sandals to get a shovel, and when the shovel went nowhere, I jumped on it to force it down. It still didn't go down, but it did slice the arch of my right foot. Bleeding heavily, I hopped in the house to tell Mother. She took me to the ER to get it stitched up.

I wasn't taken in first. The piece de resistance was the man who went in before me. Mother sniggered, a mystery to me. She told me later that he had zipped his um/ah in his pants.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Being the eldest in my family, I shouldered most of the morning chores: Get up, feed the animals, make lunches, shower, practice piano as loudly as possible to wake everyone else up, make breakfast, get everyone out of the house for school.

One day, after the piano session, I stood up a bit too quickly and gave myself a massive headrush. I fell, cracking the back of my skull on the square foot of the old upright... right on the corner. I woke up screaming.

While everyone else went to school, I went to the local clinic. The doc looked at it and basically said there was nothing to do for it, except to tape it up with a small area bandaid. Then I went to school.

I got to school just in time for PE, where apparently gymnastics were on the docket. I told the instructor that I could not do any gymnastics. She told me I looked quite fit, and I shouldn't be afraid of a little tumbling. I told her again that I literally could not do any gymnastics, because I had a hole in my head. For some reason, she became very upset with me and told me that if I would not do as she told me, she would send me to the principals office. I then stood up, flipped my head upside down and showed her the damage. "I told you, I have a hole in my head!!!" . I was excused from PE for the rest of the week.

I still have an indentation in my skull from that piano.
My cousin once tried to use a thingamabob that you're supposed to rest your head on for pressure release. It just gave me a massive headache. Then I remembered... I have a hole in my head.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
At lunch, I was walking out the driveway to the main road in front out of office building. My plan was to walk my three miles and then come back to work, change back into my work clothes, eat my yogurt, and that would be that. I got out to the main road, and there were guys working on fixing a pothole. Well, I sometimes swim in the shallow end of the pool and I was so busy watching the road crew that I wasn't watching where I was going. Stepped into a small pothole, turned my ankle and....down I went. A lady was driving by, stopped and asked me if I was OK. I said I was fine, other than my pride, she smiled and went on her way. I limped back to the office and stayed inside for the rest of my lunch.

ETA: And lest you think that I never watch my husband, allow me to tell you the story of the poor garden hose. I was mowing the yard while Rick was opening the pool. I was up by the garden, just getting ready to turn the corner of the garden to come back around. And there was Rick, with his butt up in the air, trying to get the gizmo out of the skimmer. His butt was wiggling, I was watching and....I ran the mower into a coiled-up garden hose. Whzzzzzzzz! Sliced right through the hose and the mower stopped dead. Rick's head came up over the fence so fast. And I just sat there on the mower with my head on the steering wheel. Rick was fine. I was fine. The garden hose died. Not one of my smarter moves.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At lunch, I was walking out the driveway to the main road in front out of office building. My plan was to walk my three miles and then come back to work, change back into my work clothes, eat my yogurt, and that would be that. I got out to the main road, and there were guys working on fixing a pothole. Well, I sometimes swim in the shallow end of the pool and one of the guys was particularly nice to look at. I was so busy watching him that I wasn't watching where I was going. Stepped into a small pothole, turned my ankle and....down I went. A lady was driving by, stopped and asked me if I was OK. I said I was fine, other than my pride, she smiled and went on her way. I limped back to the office and stayed inside for the rest of my lunch.

That was one of my more stupid moves. I have a few of them.
As someone whose pool float is permanently in the shallow end of the pool, I can verify that it can be a dangerous place. DH and I were driving somewhere once and there was a guy riding his bike down the sidewalk. I barely noticed him as we approached. All of a sudden, DH yells out, "Oh that guy is naked!" Man I whipped my head around so fast I thought I sprained something. It turned out that he was not naked. Just wearing flesh colored shorts. DH got a good laugh out of my cussing and holding my neck. The worst part? The guy wasn't even good looking. :flail:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Deb, had to clean the cinders out
of my back. I stood in the shower while she gently cleansed me,
Road rash is HORRIBLE!

OK...having almost wet my britches (and winced more than once), I have decided that there is at LEAST one thing more than cats that give us our incredible bond here on TCS! If MOST of these showed up as a scene in a movie, no one would believe this stuff really happens!

OH...and a television fell on my head. One of those old, heavy honkers. But not my fault...it was mounted to a wall, and the bracket broke.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I was working very long hours, but it was my daughter's 3rd birthday, so I had to make her a cake. I decided on one of those cut-up cakes that looks like a bunny's head with a bow tie. This was back before stand mixers were common. I was mixing away, half-asleep, the the cord from the hand mixer fell off and into the cake batter. Without thinking, I picked it up and put it in my mouth to lick the batter off. The batter tasted tart. It was then that I realized I was electrocuting myself. I ripped the cord out of my mouth with a shriek that brought my husband running. He couldn't understand why I was holding the cord and laughing like a kookaburra. It was years before I admitted what happened.

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few stories come to mind.
When my twin sister and I were around 6 or 7, we were moving a table out of our garage. My sister dropped her end and it slammed on my big toe. Between that and riding my bike with flip-flops, I lost my toenail.
I was in middle school and was late to gym one day. As I was running into the locker room, I tripped and banged my head on a cement wall. I had go to the office and I missed a day of school.
When I was around 13 or 14 I was playing basketball with my cousin and brother. I was running to get the ball on the ground and tripped over it, spraining my ankle.
A few weeks ago, I was making cinnamon rolls and forgot to put a oven mitt on my left hand. I grabbed the tin with my bare hand. Boy did that hurt! I spend an hour at the sink running cold water over my hand until the pain became tolerable.