QUESTION OF THE DAY, WEDNESDAY, JAN. 12, 2022

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Good morning and Happy Wednesday! A little over nine years ago I went to visit one of our daughters who was in NYC for grad school. It was fall and I thought a perfect time to go. Low and behold Hurricane Sandy hit and I was there much longer than expected. LaGuardia was closed for an extended period of time, subways flooded and many areas had no electricity. Fortunately my husband was home with the animals but it was the longest I had ever been away from them, i.e. three weeks.

SO FOR TODAY'S QUESTION OF THE DAY -
WHAT IS THE LONGEST TIME YOU HAVE BEEN AWAY FROM YOUR CAT AND/OR OTHER ANIMALS & WHY? WERE YOU ON VACATION, VISITING RELATIVES, TAKING CARE OF AN ELDERLY PARENT, ETC.?

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
March 2021, was the longest time I was away from Geoffrey. It was 5 days, in the hospital. It was also the only time I was away from him.

I had a friend who came in, once a day to feed, scoop.. He hid under bed...
When I came home, he was so happy.. peeking out from my bedroom; watching me around the corner.. He could not believe it was me..

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About three weeks for our honeymoon in Australia! We has our families tag team and someone came and gave wet food/scooped litterboxes about every other day, and we had the automatic dry feeder and water fountain for the between times. When I had good internet, I watched them on our camera if they were in shot.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sept 2013 my stroke happened spent my birthday( :biggrin:ended up getting 3 chocolate cakes to eat the icu nurses, my beloved gf,little sisters all bought me cakes to celebrate my birthday)along with xmas and new years:lol:i remember having around 3 or 4 of those mini cups of ice cream lost on my hospital bed cause i couldnt register anything on my left side at the time luckily my gf had come to visit me and found em for me mostly melted:lol:then she got a good laugh with the icu nurses while they gave me a sponge bath and set up clean bedding for me:rolleyes3:i had a fun stay kinda i guess went home home to all my marine tanks dead.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The longest I have been away from Willow is six days back before I retired used to have to travel for work. My son checked on her every couple days and I used an feeders for her food and water. With other cats before her I occasionally had longer trips but my son was living at home to care for the cats.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning and Happy Wednesday! A little over nine years ago I went to visit one of our daughters who was in NYC for grad school. It was fall and I thought a perfect time to go. Low and behold Hurricane Sandy hit and I was there much longer than expected. LaGuardia was closed for an extended period of time, subways flooded and many areas had no electricity. Fortunately my husband was home with the animals but it was the longest I had ever been away from them, i.e. three weeks.

SO FOR TODAY'S QUESTION OF THE DAY -
WHAT IS THE LONGEST TIME YOU HAVE BEEN AWAY FROM YOUR CAT AND/OR OTHER ANIMALS & WHY? WERE YOU ON VACATION, VISITING RELATIVES, TAKING CARE OF AN ELDERLY PARENT, ETC.?
I was without my male Maine Coon "Hobie Cat" for just a little over1 year. I was in the Military and was transfered to a remote island overseas. The Breeder was kind enough to care for my boy at "No Charge" during my time I was away.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have been away on vacation for two weeks on a couple occasions. Cats acted like I'd never been gone. When I came home, it was like, "Hey, isn't that old 'what's-his-face,' you know, that guy who used to feed us?" I think they liked the sitter more than me!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Until I was 18, I used to spend my summers on my Grandmother's cattle ranch in Oklahoma and couldn't take my horse. I had to board him at a full care facility. Hated that part, would have loved to have him there.
So, 3 months (give or take a week)

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About a week, when we would go on our annual camping trip. With this new group of kitties (we've had them about 3 years) we have not left them alone longer than a days work or an evening out.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 weeks while I was on holiday. The cat's stay with my son, nothing changes in their routine because he still lives at home. I even got his big sister to check on them make sure my son was cleaning the litter and feeding them on time. :lol: I didn't worry about my son he can open a can of food. ;)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Probably one of the last vacations we took before the pandemic. Went to Turks & Caicos for 9 days. We had good friends staying at our home to watch over the cats. I remember being a bit worried because our older one was dealing with kidney disease but thankfully at that point, he only needed fluids 2x a week so we made sure to do it the day before we left and the vet ok'd him going without until we got home. They took great care of them and our vet was theirs also so at least if there was an emergency it wasn't like they were dealing with doctors they don't know.

Since Luna has been with us we've never gone anywhere since the pandemic hit a few months after we got her. I do worry about what will happen once we can travel again. Our friends no longer live near us and we don't have anyone we trust nearby to stay with them - which is preferable due to their different eating patterns. I try not to think about it since it doesn't look like 2022 will allow us to travel anyway.

Last edited:

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back in 1987,my father in law passed away suddenly and we all had to go back to NY.Had no dogs at the time,so made arrangements for my neighbor to come down and take care of the cats we had then,and it turned out to be a few days more than we had planned,like a week and a half.She did an awesome job though!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I was a teen I would go spend the summer with my family in my home state. Usually just for 6 weeks or so. My mom and step-dad were home so my cats were home too. As an adult; we've gone away for 7-8 days for vacation. I have had sitters who stay here with my girls so its easier to be away knowing they have attention and all that. Its harder if I have to arrange multiple sitters.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I left my three boys for a week this last Christmas. :( I really wanted to see my dad because he is in poor health so my partner stayed home to be with them. I felt so badly that he spent Christmas alone with the cats, but for us boarding isn't really an option. They get fed homemade raw four times a day. While Po and Goose would probably be okay on just wet or even dry, Morty can only eat raw without vomiting because of his IBD.

I thought about boarding them with a weeks worth of food but then remembered the nightmare of fleas as well as how terrified they would be in a strange place with other animals. I just didn't want to stress them out, especially Morty. My partner is leaving for his sister's wedding in April and then it will be my turn to cat-sit. We really miss being able to take vacations together, but we moved really far from family and friends so it's just not idle for more than a night or so anymore.