Question of the Day, Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you superstitious? A little "stitious?" Not "stitious" at all?

I'm amazingly superstitious about some odd-ball things, but not about the more common superstitions. Most of those I learned from my Gran, actually. She wasn't the least concerned about black cats, or the number #13 (other than considering it lucky), or walking under ladders, but she vehemently believed that laying a broomstick across your doorway would keep thieves out, and that you should NEVER take an old broom into a new house, or sweep towards the front door, as well as a host of other such things. So, I guess I'm a little stitious!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Not at all. Only if I've done something dicey and think, this will come back to bite me. I don't think that counts. :lol:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
No, although I had the shoulder/biceps tendon surgery that caused the neuropathic pain syndrome
on 13 October, 2000, a FRIDAY!!, I am still not.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not, although friday the 13th has had MANY bad things happen to me. That is the only one I am vaguely uneasy about. I consider black cats good, and going under a ladder IS bad luck, I was running to answer my phone and forgot about the crossbar connecting the legs together. I was laid out on my back! LOL

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. That wasn't allowed by my mom's church. We couldn't do or think anything spiritistic, that was considered from the devil. No horoscopes, fortune tellers, dream catchers, magic, etc.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Not superstitious but I do believe in Karma, experiencing it now first hand.

A lot of religions believe that if you cook in a bad mood that energy is transmitted into the food. Not mentioning which ones as I don't think mentioning that is allowed in this particular forum.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That church is whacked.
Dream catchers are from the Indians (American) and they most definitely were not from the Devil. They are meant to help people.
They believe any calling upon/appealing to the supernatural (other than prayer to their God of course), for good or bad, is from the devil. Even if it appears to help people (the devil being tricky). I think that's fairly common among evangelicals.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I believe in Karma, I sometimes think that may be wishful thinking. I think we have all known people who get away with everything including hurting people and they seem to have a charmed life. Believing in Karma lets me think that it will come back on them sometime and in someway. I do still think that catastrophic things seem to happen in threes. When there are two I am waiting for that third one.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't say I'm superstitious. I have OCD, so I try to not react to any superstitious thoughts I may have because it could easily spiral into an anxiety attack. I will have to acknowledge that I am having an obsessive-compulsive thought, but as long as I don't react to it (get panicky, feel like I need to do certain rituals, start thinking of worst-case scenarios, etc.) I am usually fine.