Question Of The Day, Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just popping in to post this in the middle of getting ready for YET ANOTHER wretched inspection! Y'all wish me luck!

What is your favorite body of water to play in? Ocean? Lake? River?

I love mountain streams that tumble and laugh over rocks, sun-dappled, with an occasional deep, still pool that reflects the forest above it, something like this:

I'll catch up with everyone either Thursday afternoon or Friday, depending on when the manager gets around to me!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
How about swimming pools. I like them.
:yeah:

Don't get me wrong, I love the ocean, I love mountain streams and waterfalls, even rivers, but you really shouldn't swim in our Susquehanna River (although we did when we were kids).

Our pool is there whenever I need it. No getting in the car, no traffic jams, no dealing with crowds (except on a really hot day!).

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I don't have a preference-whatever is cool and refreshing. Ocean water. River. Lake. Pool. I am not picky.

When I was a youngster I swam once in our swampy pond behind our house-there was a water snake coming right at me-I never swam in ponds again-granted I was 8 or 9 and it was one of those hot summers that every day was 90+. And I just couldn't take it anymore-the local swimming hole is 5 mile ride on a bike-which when it's that hot-is just nuts. And didn't have anyone to drive me home-plus my mom would have had a heart attack if her 8 year old rode her bike 5 miles across town to the town beach at the pond. So yes I did a ton of swimming as a kid. It was the one thing I looked forward to every year.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Having grown up near one of the Great Lakes I'd have to answer lake. When we were kids we used to ride our bikes to the lake and spend all day there. Very fond memories! :thumbsup:

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953
I Love the picture you posted. It looks like heaven to me! Shade, ferns, rocks, moss, and cool clear water speak to my soul. Don't ask me how I ended up in HOT, HUMID, SANDY Florida.:(

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My parents bought a sailboat that slept 4 when I was 10. Grew up going to the lake every weekend,rain or shine. Dad installed a hot tub on the back porch when I was a teenager. Swim team in high school. Became an aviation electrician in the US Navy,saw the world via aircraft carriers. Floated in the dead sea. I am a child of the water. I'll even dance in the rain.

But I am never been more happy than when I have watched the sun either come up,or go down,in a hot tub with someone worth being with.

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Salt water make me feel like a potato chip. I prefer moving fresh water. Streams, creeks and rivers. The best part of my summers are wet wading creeks.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How about swimming pools. I like them.
Same here. I love the ocean but you will never catch me in it or any other body of water where fish and other creatures live. That body of water is their toilet bowl and catches all of their bodily functions and it STAYS there. Yeah. NO. Give me chlorinated creature free water any day. Plus, Jaws and I made a pact years ago. I'd stay out of the water and he'd stay off land. It's worked well for us for a long time now. :thumbsup:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to love swimming in rivers and lakes. Until I found out that Bull sharks can now swim in rivers and other fresh water places. My bathtub is the only safe place for me now.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same here. I love the ocean but you will never catch me in it or any other body of water where fish and other creatures live. That body of water is their toilet bowl and catches all of their bodily functions and it STAYS there. Yeah. NO. Give me chlorinated creature free water any day. Plus, Jaws and I made a pact years ago. I'd stay out of the water and he'd stay off land. It's worked well for us for a long time now. :thumbsup:
Exactly right. That body of water is their toilet bowl and I won't swim in, or eat anything coming from it including sea salt.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Almost all of the swimming I have done in the last 30 years has been in a river. It is not deep in most places - it is hard to find a place where it is over my head - but I love walking across the rocky bed and floating in the rapids, sometimes while holding onto a rock while the river flows rapidly over me. We have seen mussels, otters, beavers, blue herons, green herons and egrets. It is very popular with canoeists and kayakers and the water is very clean.

The state used to take sand out of the river there and there is a road built for large dump trucks, so we have always been able to get down to the river, even though the road passes through a flood plain. Also the state built a breakwater at the river, which is just a bunch of large rocks, and there is always a sandy beach. I dearly love the place, but because it is a retirement investment, it will no longer be mine as of next Tuesday. :bawling2: The new owners will use it mostly for deer hunting and they say they may let us use the river when it is out of hunting season.