Question of the Day, Wednesday, February 12, 2020

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't get the reference - is it from a fairy tale I missed?

Margret
That was my question...

No. Her hubby is an avid mountain climber. It would seem very noble if he had to pick them from the mountainside while also outmaneuvering an unruly goat. :biggrin:
And now it is answered...

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, so they have daikon at my Jewel. And they are way bigger than parsnips.
Wow, thanks so much for the pic because they look so different than red radishes! Do they taste alike? Can I slice them and put on sandwiches and in salads raw? We only have Walmart, Price Chopper, Aldi, BJs. There is a fancy co-op 45 minutes away that might have them, but I don't go there very often.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, thanks so much for the pic because they look so different than red radishes! Do they taste alike? Can I slice them and put on sandwiches and in salads raw? We only have Walmart, Price Chopper, Aldi, BJs. There is a fancy co-op 45 minutes away that might have them, but I don't go there very often.
I've never eaten them! I'll have to find a recipe. Hopefully someone who's eaten them can chime in.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I've never eaten them! I'll have to find a recipe. Hopefully someone who's eaten them can chime in.
They're really nice as nimono. Peel them and then cut them into slices about 1 or 2 inches thick. Put them in a deep pan with about an inch of water, soy sauce, Japanese mirin and cooking sake and some powdered dashi.

Simmer until soft. You can cook other vegetables like potatoes, turnip or carrots in the same water. It's a nice way to cook winter vegetables.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They don't look quite as "carroty" as parsnips, either. If I had both in my fridge, I'd know which was which quite easily. Now if I can find some murin and dashi, I wouldn't mind trying that recipe at all, Norachan Norachan !

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'll bet Amazon has them, too. Say what you will about Amazon, when all else fails, they often come through!