Question of the day Wednesday December 30

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Heres a hope and wish for a less complicated 2021!

Not too long ago I read about a siamese who had supervised time in a large backyard with a big tree.

She loved attention, and would climb partway up the tree. Then she'd start to yell, holler and meow for help, and the kids and sometimes mom would run to the rescue. By this time everyone in the family was convinced she truly couldn't get back down.

One day mom happened to see that smart little meezer in the tree, and meowing for help as usual. The kids weren't home, and mom couldn't stop what she was doing just then, but was able to watch the cat from the window. Sure enough, after a few minutes of no human help/reaction, the siamese came back down the tree and sauntered into the house 💞

Does your cat do things specifically in order to get your attention?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG YES!
Lily...and I haven't quite figured out the "why" yet, she is a sensitive little girl and has some insecurity quirks...will "ask me" to follow her to her food dish, and won't eat until I pet her. It's not all the time, and she will eat on her own, but it's like she wants "approval". She does this when I'm busy around the house, when I return home from something...even if I was just outside for a bit, and at bedtime. I don't think it's about the food, because sometimes she'll only have a couple kibble, I think it's to get my attention. She had food insecurities when we adopted her and that has now evolved into...I get attention when it comes to food.

Bynx will play with things and knock things off the piano and side table to get my attention when he wants to play. And I know it's for me because he will literally stare at me while he does it. One by one, it goes like this....
Stare at Mom...not coming? OK...stick paw out and stare at Mom...still not coming? OK...lightly bat at object while staring at Mom...still not coming? OK...knock object over...still not coming? OK...onto the next item......stare at Mom........

Chester is more of a "give Mom the sad eyes" type of cat...and every so often I get pathetic meow along with it. He's more polite about getting my attention...unless it's about food. He reaches out to me and try to get me to follow him to his "feeding station", or will sit on the kitchen counter when he wants his breakfast and dinner.

All the cats do other normal things, like meow, rub up against us, or just jump on our laps when they want attention, along with other little quirks as well. But some of them are hard to describe, because you would have to know them to know that they are being deliberate with how they are looking at me, where they are sitting at the time...etc...It's hard to explain.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Noodles would tap my leg if I was at the computer desk and she wanted something. If that didn't work she would nip my pants. Usually that was for food though; not attention. She wasn't much on attention for pets. She did scratch furniture as a last resort.

Mooch just comes to my lap if she wants attention. If she wants food; she sits by the bowl and glares or she sits at the end of the hall leading to the kitchen glaring. She's always been the sweeter of the two; so the glares are generally just to let me know her meal delivery is late.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heres a hope and wish for a less complicated 2021!

Not too long ago I read about a siamese who had supervised time in a large backyard with a big tree.

She loved attention, and would climb partway up the tree. Then she'd start to yell, holler and meow for help, and the kids and sometimes mom would run to the rescue. By this time everyone in the family was convinced she truly couldn't get back down.

One day mom happened to see that smart little meezer in the tree, and meowing for help as usual. The kids weren't home, and mom couldn't stop what she was doing just then, but was able to watch the cat from the window. Sure enough, after a few minutes of no human help/reaction, the siamese came back down the tree and sauntered into the house 💞

Does your cat do things specifically in order to get your attention?
yes graycie does that everyday usually when i am in middle of somthing :lol:like sit right in front of my pc to block the screen(like right now)she also doesnt allow me to be on the phone with any women gf/ friends. if she hears a female voice she will nip at my arm or get in my face and complain she meows while i am cooking or gets on the counter usually i just talk to her then.or i grab her put her one of her trees or a chair out of the way

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh God yes and it's all Demi. He will only drink water on the bathroom sink and will cry until you pour him fresh water and let him watch to make sure you are doing it right. Then you have to pet him and give him a little hug before he will drink. :lol:

Then at night, he waits by the microwave for me to get my 7pm coffee and then cries his head off for me to follow him. He wants me to lay down, he stands on my chest, crushing me, and sucks on his blankie. If I don't do it, he howls like somebody is killing him. :headshake:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Carleton is very alert and has our routine down to a science. :wink: If he wants my attention he will follow me and yowl but if I ignore him he climbs on something high to look me in the face then reaches out his paw and ever so gently taps me with it. If he wants affection he will roll over on his back with his paws curled under and give me that look, the one that says aren't I irresistible? 😻

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blue is still learning his communication skills and things change from day to day but his most obvious are: Sits near me and stares until we make eye contact the tail will fluff out and eyes go black so it means ..play now. Stares at me and make eye contact..with a sweet face and Brrs at me..means I want on your lap, most times he doesnt ask, just suddenly lands on you but nice when he does ask...lol
Stands on my feet and body slams my legs..wants rough house play and a pretend fight no holds barred. I mean rough..he will hit me at a full run with hip and shoulder and I body slam him on the floor and ends when both puffed out.
Goes outside and yells at top of voice...time for a walk. Other loud yelling outside means open the gate...he can fit through the bars but no..he has to have the gate opened for him. When hungry stands near his food bowl and water dish and pats and splashes his water until I ask..you hungry and that causes loud yelling and running around in ever increasing circles.
When finished dinner will go to the laundry door and howl for about 5 minutes telling me he gonna go poop which means I have to get up..check his litter tray and make sure it is clean and he approves of it..then he goes poop and comes out and tell me all about it.
Lots more but all that come to mind and most recent this morning.
He is walking around aimlessly at the moment going braa...yaaa..braa..dont know what he wants or is doing or saying.

The I want something look.
20201231_080808.jpg .

Last edited:

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat will come up to me and want some petting/cuddle time. However, when I am busy or distracted, she gets very annoyed and will jump up on the Table/Kitchen Counter/Dresser Drawers and knock stuff off of it.😼🙀😽 She only does this when she wants attention from me. I am still working on correcting this bad behavior. She can be a naughty girl sometimes.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got 4 cats and they each have their own way of getting my attention.

Emily - the heaviest, and most aggressive, simply comes up to me while I'm sitting at the dining room table and puts her claws in my legs and starts kneading me. If I'm on the sofa and another cat is sitting next to me, she will do her best to frighten the other cat away, but she is usually willing to sit down on the other side of me. :catrub:

Meghan - the little monkey - starts screaming and then makes a dive towards a sofa, wall, or door and scratches away for all she's worth! She expects me to start shouting and chase her so that she can run to another sofa and carry on with her little game. I'm doing my best trying to ignore her. :devilcat:

Mogi - a rather timid cat - is usually under the table, or in a doorway. She hears me moving and rushes to the bathroom, where she knows she will have my full attention. On most days I go to the bathroom far more often than necessary just to be with her! :dancingblackcat:

Katy loves my bed. Ever since she was treated there for many weeks after a nasty road accident, she associates my bed with being fed, cleaned and cared for. When she thinks I might just perhaps be going into the bedroom, she runs in front of me, on her short, little, fat legs and keeps looking back to make sure I'm following. She jumps on the bed and prepares herself to be petted. For this reason, I spend far more time on my bed than I really want to. :petcat:

CATS!! Such a waste of precious time. :clapcat:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Flora and Remy just crawl on me. Flora will also rub against me. Maisie usually only wants my attention when she is hungry, so she will glare at me from across the room and breathe heavily. She only breathes heavily when she's hungry. It's really weird.