Question of the Day, Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Dang...wonder how long it will take me to start typing "2020"? NO THAT IS NOT THE QUESTION!!!

THIS is the question.

What is the coolest Christmas gift you every gave anyone? For those who don't celebrate Christmas or Yule, or any of the other December celebrations, pick ANY event where you gave a cool gift!

Easy one for me. Last year, I gave Hekitty a heated bed. Not a reflecting mat, but an honest-to-goodness heated bed. She's 11, going on 12 now, and I never have to look far for her when she disappears anymore! She's snuggled down in her "warms" for a catnap. That, of course, changes when I tell her that the electric blanket is turned on. Sometimes a cat's gotta sprawl, you know!

I hope this year's gift goes over well. I have an extra-deep mattress and box spring set, and she's been struggling a little on occasion, so this year she's getting a bed ramp! ANYTHING for my baby girl! AND a toy. ALWAYS a toy. Or six.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid, my dad's union would have a summer picnic with bike raffles for the kids. I won one year and again the next year, but I didn't need another bike, so I picked out this really cool Harley Davidson-like bicycle, that actually made motorcycle sounds, for my younger brother. His birthday was a few weeks later so I gave it to him then. He was 4 at the time and wasn't quite tall enough for it, but he eventually grew into it. A lot of my dad's colleagues came and told me that they were impressed that I had just given up a new bike for my brother. I was 11 at the time and still adored my brother. ;) Our relationship faltered in our teen years, but it's good now.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I took DD to Disney for the Epcot food & wine festival last month. They were already decked out for Christmas. She wore her different ears and outfits. She was very happy about it despite the fact that it was SO cold out.

Cold to US. Not normal people. It was in the low 50's, very windy and overcast. :lol:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Michele and I were on a just-because day trip, and we stopped in this little store in Wellsville, NY, and while she was browsing, I was doing the same. I came across a Swarovski crystal hummingbird perched on a flower, so I bought it- not for Michele, but for her mother. You see, unlike the stereotypical mother-in-law, she thought of me as another son, so I got it for her- just because.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My stepdad is a big Snoopy fan. Especially “Joe Cool” and The Flying Ace. A few years ago I found him a cool, vintage Flying Ace Snoopy toy. I’ve never been so excited to give a gift! :yess: He loved it and its on display in his home office with some other figurines and things I’ve gotten him over the years. But that Snoopy is by far the coolest!!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm knitting a Christmas Tree for the cats. Just multi color yarn to wrap around an old and now useless tripod from years ago. It isn't fancy but something for them as well. I have an umbrella stand to put it in too. Not sure if it's cool or great of something though.
That's a great idea. I bet they will love it. No tree for us. Sophie would destroy it in record time. No tree deserves that. She disagrees but she'll be OK- and so will the tree that is spared that trauma. :lol:

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This isn't a specific gift, but whenever I'm giving someone a small gift, like ear rings or a gift card, I like to disguise it by wrapping it in several different size boxes. Kinda like this:

My brothers have done that before. Always made for a good laugh! Sometimes even putting just a tiny item in a huge box, too. Or trying to really tape or ribbon the package to make it challenging to open.

I'm knitting a Christmas Tree for the cats. Just multi color yarn to wrap around an old and now useless tripod from years ago. It isn't fancy but something for them as well. I have an umbrella stand to put it in too. Not sure if it's cool or great of something though.
That sounds so neat!! Would love to see when your done!

I recently bought a friend the Effin' Birds card deck that has passive aggressive or funny sayings on each card. Someone at my summer job had them and we used them on game night. It was always a riot! My friend and I have similar humor, so I thought he'd like it.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 5 siblings, so most of us had plenty of hand me down toys. For my eldest brothers birthday, at age 70, I gave him an old teddy bear that each one of us had used as children. So you see, he got the very same present twice; this time not new at all. His eyes filled with tears and he said it was the best present he had ever gotten.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the gift that thrilled ME the most. My third year in college, I was 23, my son was five and what he really, really wanted from Santa was this huge Tonka fire truck. I didn’t have a car at that point but the only store I could get to by bus had tons of them, so I didn’t think much about waiting for the semester to end, around the middle of December to do my shopping. I go to the store, look up where the trucks should be and it is totally empty, just a big space where the fire trucks should be. I just stood there nearly in tears. I mean how do you not get a five year old what they are expecting from Santa? After a few minutes of just standing and staring another customer walked by, who was
like most of the world, considerably taller than me. Out of desperation I asked him if he could please look up beyond the toys on the top shelf to see if maybe one had gotten shoved behind other things. Honestly, when his hand came forward with a beautiful big red Tonka firetruck I nearly fell to my knees. It was so emotional that even now some fifty years later it brings tears to my eyes. So I had one happy little boy at Christmas but his mom was even happier.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, that sounds so cool. Please post a pic when you finish it.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a great idea. I bet they will love it. No tree for us. Sophie would destroy it in record time. No tree deserves that. She disagrees but she'll be OK- and so will the tree that is spared that trauma. :lol:
Now I have to figure out how to do it as I thought of it when I first saw this thread ad not very far in my knitting lol

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
A most awesome gift I ever gave someone was a pair of champagne glasses from Romania to my future daughter in law for their wedding. In addition, I learned to say “welcome to our family and I look forward to many good times together. Also said this at their engagement party to her family who still spoke Romanian as their first language. It was very special to her as well as my son.