Question of the Day, Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a two-parter today, and some of your anwers I probably already know from another thread, so will do that one first...

What is your favorite genre of books (newpapers, magazines, and "I don't read, I watch TV" DO count for this one)?

How do you like to read? Do you prefer a print copy or an ereader?

It is really hard for me to choose a favorite genre. There are several that I enjoy, but the top two right now would be cozy mysteries and really well-researched historical fiction. I enjoy speculative fiction as well, and once read a really interesting book about a man living in a 21st century where Rome had never fallen.

I don't own an ereader. I probably should get one, if for no other reason than checking out an author/series before I invest in a print copy. But...I will NEVER go totally electronic when it comes to reading. I love books. Physical books. I love the weight and heft of them in my hands, I love the tiny anticipation when I turn the page. Sometimes, when I really enjoy a passage, I hug my books to my chest. I love the way full bookcases look in a room. And I don't have to worry about dropping a print book in the bathtub, where I do much of my reading. I can replace MOST any print book for about $4, or at most, half the cover price!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
My favorite genre is true crime, though I do read a lot of mysteries and biographies. Nowadays I read e-books almost exclusively. They're cheaper, can be obtained at a moment's notice, and don't take up room. I generally use a Kindle Paperwhite, though sometimes I'll read on my tablet or phone.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I read both nonfiction and fiction. I like biographies and true crime. I also like historical fiction and psychological thrillers. I actually do most of my 'reading' now with audiobooks. I borrow them from the library and listen to them while I am working.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
My fave is psychological thrillers, followed by true crime. I love the feel and smell of a real book but I use the tablet when I read in bed.
Others genres, biographies, histories of Great Britain, Vikings, and books about lost civilizations.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like autobiographies, romance and historical fiction. I do like magazines. Mostly Woman's World, First for Women and the gossip magazines provide mindless entertainment.

I have an ereader (Kindle Fire). I much prefer that to physical books. I can take it with me and have any number of books and games at my fingertips. Physical books are dust gatherers and take up too much space. I'm reading Elton John's autobiography now and so far it's good. Next up will be Demi Moore's. I bought the Kindle version after I heard her interview with Howard Stern. I've always liked her and I adore Sir Elton.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Kindle, which I prefer, but have so many paperbacks I haven't read from my dad's extensive library I am going through them right now. I read every morning for an hour, and go through at least one paperback/novel a week. My dad was a HUGE reader and that was passed down to me. My absolute favorites are psychological thrillers, especially with serial killers. I love the turns, and how the people involved figure out how to bring them to justice. My dad was in law enforcement for 30 years, so I grew up in that atmosphere.
The ereaders are nice because I can adjust the size of the print, they are backlit so I can read in the dark at motels when we travel, (my husband doesn't share my crazy hours) and it is so much cheaper to download a book then to buy it. But I would never be without my physical books, I once had a library with several thousand hard backs, most of which I have donated or sold over the years. I still have 4, 4 x 8 foot bookshelf units that are filled with my favorites over teh years, especially Steven King, Anne Rice, James Patterson and Jeffery Deaver.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What is your favorite genre of books (newpapers, magazines, and "I don't read, I watch TV" DO count for this one)?
I love to read. And read a variety of genres, depending on my mood. Historical romances, mysteries, thrillers (thanks to Mia6 Mia6 ), biographies, as well as general non-fiction, including ones on nutrition and health . Currently I'm reading A Mrs. Miracle Christmas by Debbie Macomber, as well as as a book on Digital Photography.

How do you like to read? Do you prefer a print copy or an ereader?
I bought a Kobo e-reader 5 years ago, and haven't read a physical book since. I love that I can adjust the font size and brightness to my preferences. And as I almost never read the same book twice, I download books from the library. In January, however, I will be reading The Mountain Between Us by Charles Martin for the 2nd time, as it's our TCS book club of the month read. And yes that's a shameless plug inviting any and all bookworms to join us in the new year for a group read. Click here for the thread.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sci-fi, historical fiction, historical non-fiction, mysteries. Just finished James Blish, The Frozen Year. I like reading actual books; "e-reading" is no fun!

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
When I read, I read true crime, psychological thrillers, and mysteries. I used to be an avid reader all through high school, but have since seriously clacked off and now I spend almost no time reading. :(

I prefer paper copies of books. I like the way pages feel and the smell of a book.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly, I'll read pretty much anything I can get my hands on. I do like cozy mysteries, but I also really like science-fiction. I'll sit down and read Rick's Sports Illustrated from cover to cover and I'm not fond of sports at all. But it's something to read.

I prefer books in hard cover, but I also have paperbooks. I have my iPad and a Kindle Paperwhite (that I got for Rick's mother, but she didn't like it, so I kept it for myself). My problem is that, as I get older, my eyes are getting worse. It's difficult sometimes for me to read regular books. Sad to say, but that's pretty much it. So while I may prefer regular books, my eyes say something differently. With a reader, one can adjust the font to a larger size. My MIL loves printed books, but she can no longer read them at all. Her Kindle font size is huge and she only has one more size she can go to, when she can no longer see the current font size.

I feel so bad for her because she dearly loves to read and has been such an avid reader all her life. She needs a reader.

Sometimes it's not what you really prefer to use to read, it's what you're able to read. For people like Rick's mom, a reader is the only answer she has.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly, I'll read pretty much anything I can get my hands on. I do like cozy mysteries, but I also really like science-fiction. I'll sit down and read Rick's Sports Illustrated from cover to cover and I'm not fond of sports at all. But it's something to read.

I prefer books in hard cover, but I also have paperbooks. I have my iPad and a Kindle Paperwhite (that I got for Rick's mother, but she didn't like it, so I kept it for myself). My problem is that, as I get older, my eyes are getting worse. It's difficult sometimes for me to read regular books. Sad to say, but that's pretty much it. So while I may prefer regular books, my eyes say something differently. With a reader, one can adjust the font to a larger size. My MIL loves printed books, but she can no longer read them at all. Her Kindle font size is huge and she only has one more size she can go to, when she can no longer see the current font size.

I feel so bad for her because she dearly loves to read and has been such an avid reader all her life. She needs a reader.

Sometimes it's not what you really prefer to use to read, it's what you're able to read. For people like Rick's mom, a reader is the only answer she has.
That's sad. Has she tried books on tape? I know it's not the same but at least when the time comes, she won't be cut off from books completely. I wonder if they make readers specifically for people with vision issue. They should if they don't.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My favorite is clean historical fiction. Especially in romances.

I do all my fiction reading on my Kindle Paperwhite. It goes everywhere with me. Nonfiction is a toss up because I make notes and highlight. I can do that on the kindle and then export them though. I’m doing that more these days. Its so much more comfortable to read! Even in bed with my husband who can’t stand light while he sleeps. Or on the couch with the tree lights on. Waiting in line (or for DH at Lowes). While I’m on the elliptical. It’s the best! I had to replace my kindle cover this fall because it was literally falling apart. :lol:
FC935934-8701-469B-A50A-E28AFC9E87E7.jpeg

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer histories, with a side of western novels for a change of pace. I have also read a ton of science fiction, but the stuff of today palls compared to the bygone masters of the genre. I read and subscribe to several monthly magazines, and all of my material is ink-on-paper.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I love "end of the world", sci-fi, and similar fiction stories. I also enjoy non-fiction - biographies, autobiographies, disasters (one of my favorites is a book about the Great Chicago Fire). I do lean more toward non-fiction these days than when I was younger.

I prefer holding a book vs using an e-reader.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
My tastes are all over the place..Romance, mystery, Paranormal romance, historicals, end of time stories, survival type novels (The survivalist series is REALLY good), Mac Bolan books-or similar army type books. If I had time I would read westerns too. I try to get a variety of different books..I want to read Tom Clancy older fat thick books-since I watched all those shows on Amazon that featured his stories.. I also read autobiography books too. Growing up I was known to read encyclopedias too. I just much prefer reading to anything else..and it has to be real books..I find them cheap at yard sales/thrift stores or people at work bring me bags of books..and puzzles...that's my 2 favorite things. read for a few hours, then work on a puzzle for a few hours with the TV on..yeah I am one of those weird people that watches tv while reading..
My favorite show is ID Channel with Homicide Hunter with Joe Kenda. I still need to catch up on seasons 5 to 9 but I absolutely love his sense of humor-kind of dry but sarcastic. Like me. I should read true Crime-I probably will like them..The Scarpetta books by Patricia Cornwell are A++++++++++++ very twisty and they really explain the crime scenes-my dad can't read them-says too descriptive :lol:

I basically read anything..which is why I love this site-always something to read...

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love historical fiction, biographies of historical figures, sometimes a good mystery or lawyer books. I also like to read non fiction technical stuff - books and articles pertaining to the cats, especially medical information, gardening books - not the fluff stuff but hard core gardening. I love my KIndle Fire, but find for the historical books if there are maps involved I prefer a hard copy to the kindle. I read a lot of revolutionary and civil war based books I am hoping the book I am reading right now gets better - it just hasn't captured my interest, even though I loved the TV program that was based on it.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Contemporary women, thrillers and some mild horror or supernatural. Never ever murder mysteries. My preferred media is being read to via audio books.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of the books I truly enjoy are pre-1920/19230s. My favorite book of all time is The Scarlet Letter. If I gave to pick a genre, I would say the Romantic (not romance) and Gothic and psychological fiction.

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm a voracious reader and will read romance, sci fi, historical romance, self-help, supernatural, etc. Overall I prefer "happy" stories because I really get into the stories and don't need my "escape" to upset me or stress me out. ;)
I like free or .99 Kindle books for cheap and thoughtless reading, even though many are poorly written and full of grammatical errors, but they're worth what I pay for them and I delete them when I'm done. I'm picky about the "real" books I buy and only buy ones from my favorite authors because I know they'll be well written and I'll enjoy them. I just started re-reading one of my favorite murder mystery series, and I read them so long ago the first time that I can't remember the endings. It's like having all new books! :lol: