Question of the day Wednesday August 5

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Our Poppycat was silent for a number of years after he came to us, and wouldn't even meow when he wanted something.

He was really ill a couple years ago, (fluids at home for a couple weeks, etc), and since then has become more and more vocal and talkative. In his situation, it's wonderful 😌

Was your cat a talker/Were your cats talkers from the beginning, or did it take a while?

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both were talkers from the start. I remember hearing Charlie's adorable squeak as a kitten and wishing it would stay like that. I actually got my wish :lol:

Roxabelle

Human slave to Sinclair the Kitten
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Atari wasn't overly talkative, but he had very distinct noises for different scenarios. His "feed me now" noise was very different from his noise for "let me outside this instant, I've seen something that I want to kill".

Sinclair is still very little, but she makes up for it with her voice! She's very vocal, although she doesn't so much meow, but makes more like an "eeeeeeee!" sound. I haven't quite worked out her different noises yet either. We're still learning each other's language.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lilith is very vocal and always has been. I get chirps and trills all the time. She also is great at being demanding. I get scolded all the time. If I don't go to bed when she thinks I should or if she wants some of my food and doesn't get it fast enough. :lol: :rolleyes2:

She also says some words. Well, it sounds like it. Like a toddler girl saying, "Hello?" and "Mama?" It's bizarre.

Sophie is not as vocal but will express herself when she needs to. She didn't start until she had been here quite a while. She picked up her sister's habit of scolding me when she wants something. Of course.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Until this last year Willow communicated mainly by staring at me (Avatar picture!) or doing a closed mouth whine. But of late she has discovered her voice and meows at me a lot. She doesn’t seem to want anything, just getting out everything she hasn’t said in the last nine years

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
All of our cats have always been big talkers. It might be because we've always talked to them. When Muffin (Mom's cat) first came to live with us, she was fairly quiet. Now? Meow! Meow! Meow! She chats a blue streak, just like the others. A friend came to visit with us (before quarantine) and he was amazed at how vocal our kids are. His cat doesn't say much at all.

The girls don't talk to each other that much, but they sure know how to get our attention!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None of ours were, at least at first. My, how things have changed, though! All of them do now, to a greater or lesser degree. They meow, they chirp, they make noises that defy description.

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Missy has been a talker since kittenhood. She meows, chirps, trills, purrs,... and when she hears an unusual sound she even growls like a dog.
She also talks to Alpha, a male cat from the neighborhood who pays regular visits to our garden, and Alpha always responds to her. Their conversations are limited to greeting each other and vocalizing their annoyance (Missy with a squeaky 'meow' and Alpha with a raspy low voice).

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have two cats who are not talkers. Freya and Fennimore. Freya rarely makes any noise, and Fennimore only talks in certain situations. He does have what we call a battle cry. Every once and a while, he gets cranky. If another cat comes near him, he makes a very specific loud noise and bristles his tail. Then we say his name and he is fine.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
In the beginning Carleton opened his mouth but no sound came out. :nervous: Since he had a bad start in life DH thought the worst but I was more optimistic. Fast forward to today and he makes his voice heard, even from another room.:lol:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mooch is a talker and pretty much always has been. Noodles was more talkative in her last few years. Mostly it was to get my attention but we suspected she was getting a little senile too. If we went away she would spend a few days to a week or a little more meowing in the other room. When I'd call for her she would come running all happily like "Oh there you are!!" One of the last times we went away my house sitter said she found her meowing outside my bedroom door. It made it hard to go anywhere!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mingo has always been a great talker, and he is extremely expressive. He has a happy mew, an excited one, a complaining one, and a sad one. You can tell instantly what he's feeling. Lily was not a talker at first. It took her quite a long time to find her voice, and now she rarely meows for anything but mealtime. Her voice is very low and throaty - her Mae West voice.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None of my cats are very talkative. I wish Flora was more talkative because she has the cutest meow. Maisie really only talks when she's hungry. I've noticed Remy has been talking more when he plays with Flora and I keep thinking he's hurt because it's weird for him to meow.

My late cat Willie was such a loudmouth. I have never had a cat who talked as much as she did. It was nonstop.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lelia's always been a talker. Sparkle is starting to talk more I feel, living with Lelia, than when she lived alone with my husband, especially at meal time!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
All three of mine are fairly talkative. They remind me of the recorders (the musical instrument) my mom used to play. Iris is an alto, Lily is a soprano, and Mocha is a sopranino. The sisters, Iris and Lily, always speak when spoken to. Mocha is a squeaker, and vocalizes a lot to herself. She also has perfected the silent meow, the opening of her mouth with no sound when I ask her a question. It’s incredibly cute, of course. :)

They talk mainly to me rather than to my husband, but that’s because I talk to them constantly. If I see one of them, I say something. They respond.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of mine are talkers...some more than others.What I call my big mouth five are Whiskers,Donnie,Toughy,Bunny and Mystery.Donnie and Whiskers almost all the time,Toughy when he realizes he's someplace he thought he wanted to be and then changed his mind,and Bunny's that way too.She follows her dad around just about everywhere and when she gets caught somewhere he's not,she starts in.Mystery can never make up her mind where she wants to be,so usually she ends up in the bedroom with the door closed.Bless her heart,but that girl can rattle the windows!When you open the door and ask her "what?",you get the innocent pink nose and blinky eyes.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
My Cal was not a talker till our Vincie girl went to the Bridge. Vincie began talking non-stop
after she went deaf. Kirsten and Cal never said much. This past year Cal has become
quite the talker, lovely sounds; cooing twilling, snorting snoring,and some sounds I
can't even describe but they are beautiful

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Domino is not a talker. He brrrp’s and grunts and huffs to communicate. Only when he is very anxious, for example going to the vet, will he meow. And then it sounds like a kitten meow, which is comical being he’s 12 years old and a big 21 pounds.