Question of the Day, Wednesday, August 24, 2022

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
An early version of QOD for Happy Whiskers Wednesday! :lovecat: It seems that ever since they've eliminated certain subjects in school and people text with abbreviations, emojis, etc. we are losing our grammar and punctuation skills. Some examples are: when people do not capitalize the first letter of a sentence or do not punctuate the end of a sentence, do not capitalize a name, use who for whom and visa versa, there instead of their, your instead of you're, end a sentence with a preposition and so on.

WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR GRAMMAR OR PUNCTUATION PET PEEVES?

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"irregardless!"
"could of" instead of "could have."

I agree! Things are being lost!
“Could of” drives me up the wall! I wonder if it’s because people don’t know the word is “could’ve”, short for could have.

“It’s” used as the possessive (its) annoys me - though there’s a fair chance it’s because of idiot autocorrect keyboards.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. Most people now are relying on auto spell so many have already lost it. A mistake here and there is ok though. It happens to me too. But when I encounter someone I personally know who doesn't really get the difference between simple words such as you're and your, it gets to my nerves. LOL.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
there/their/they're
So many times the wrong one is used. I can forgive it if the person typing does not have English as a first language.
Although I do make many mistakes, that one just irritates me for some reason.

Also 'I could care less'. It should be I couldn't care less but no one ever says it that way.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
A supervisor at the paper plant used to say "irregardless" all the time. I finally said, "Look, regardless of what you say, irregardless is not a word! Stop it!" He just looked at me and said, "Really?" "Yes, really! Stop it!" From then on, if we were in a meeting and he was talking and said "irregardless," he'd stop and say "regardless".

I hate text speak with a passion. Also people who write everything in one paragraph. I can't read it and have stopped trying.

To, too, and two
You're, your
There, their, they're
It's, its

When using the plural of a noun, an apostrophe is not needed. Cars are cars, not car's or cars'.

.... (And I know I'm very guilty of that.)

My GF told me I should have (NOT should of) been an English teacher.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I hate text speak with a passion. Also people who write everything in one paragraph. I can't read it and have stopped trying.
Exactly! When I see lines and lines with no distinct paragraphs it turns me off.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of the above, plus another that I see all the time in various magazines is using 'pour' instead of 'pore', as in to pore over instructions. It's like hitting a speed bump in my reading. And yes, I once was told that I should become a teacher, but the prospect of spending 40 years or more in front of a bunch of indifferent crumb crunchers dissuaded me.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
who/whom
lie/lay
prepositions at the end of a sentence
mines as a possessive, as in "the dress is mines"
the reason is because
misuse of adverbs, as in "real happy to see you"
misplaced modifiers, as in "Hopping across the lawn, I saw a rabbit."
no clear antecedent (professional writers even miss this one)
pronoun disagreement