Question Of The Day, Wednesday, August 14, 2019

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone: Ariana Grande. I just can't stand her!
I also can't stand Love Island, Marvel, Fortnite and similar franchises, Game of Thrones and shirts with slogans on such as "girl power" etc - it takes away the real meaning of the phrase and its message (I also feel the same about some forms of modern feminism, such as women stripping in public so people can feel better about their body parts, I just kind of feel like they're taking the p*** - same with the LGBT+ rainbow flag as an aesthetic).

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Manbuns. I just can't stand em! When we're out somewhere, sometimes we'll spot little ones (man croutons), or big ones (man loaf), or just regular sized manbuns. And sometimes after a while I might say, "you know what? I haven't seen one manbun yet!"

Sorry if any of the guys do the manbuns. It's not you, it's me. Kinda. :wink::lol:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmmmm...what am I nosey about today? OH OH OH! I know...

What is something that is popular right now that annoys you to no end?

For me, it is cell phones. Well, not so much the cell phone as how attached people are to them. They're attached to the point of rudeness. For instance, a friend stopped by the other night to "visit." We were sitting on my front porch, and she was on the phone with her boyfriend when she got there. I sat there listening (I had no choice) for about 5 minutes, then said, very nicely, "I can see you're busy...I'm going to get on my computer, and we'll visit another time." To her credit, if someone calls her now when she's at my house, she tells them she'll call them back. She did learn. It seems to me that too often now we have relationships with our devices, not with people.
ALL pop culture, pop music, "talent" TV, "trends", consumerists, and all the heartlessness, idiocy, and vapidness that go with all of these.

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Manbuns. I just can't stand em! When we're out somewhere, sometimes we'll spot little ones (man croutons), or big ones (man loaf), or just regular sized manbuns. And sometimes after a while I might say, "you know what? I haven't seen one manbun yet!"

Sorry if any of the guys do the manbuns. It's not you, it's me. Kinda. :wink::lol:
I'd forgotten about that!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having dinner at sometimes house with the tv on. I'm not referring to watching a football, basketball, world cup or super bowl game or when you are having a movie. dinner night. I like to talk and not have the news on. Instead most people are either watching and commenting on the news while playing with their phone.

I guess I'm old school or maybe just old, :flail:
I sometimes was invited to eat dinner at my BFF's house and they had the news on every time. WHY??? do you want to get all stressed looking at that while you're trying to eat???:sigh:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am just so annoyed when a series throws in a few new clips, gives it a new title and calls it a new show rather than what it is. - a rerun.
Yeah, I've noticed this happening a lot, too, susanm9006 susanm9006 . They charge SO MUCH for airtime it's no wonder that the producers repackage the same old stuff over and over. Some of this stuff I practically know line for line! :nono:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmmmm...what am I nosey about today? OH OH OH! I know...
:flail::flail::flail:

What is something that is popular right now that annoys you to no end?

For me, it is cell phones. Well, not so much the cell phone as how attached people are to them. They're attached to the point of rudeness. For instance, a friend stopped by the other night to "visit." We were sitting on my front porch, and she was on the phone with her boyfriend when she got there. I sat there listening (I had no choice) for about 5 minutes, then said, very nicely, "I can see you're busy...I'm going to get on my computer, and we'll visit another time." To her credit, if someone calls her now when she's at my house, she tells them she'll call them back. She did learn. It seems to me that too often now we have relationships with our devices, not with people.
I hear you on the cell phone thing. They're a nice thing to have, but the marriage to them is a bit annoying. Especially in kids, little kids that should be playing and building forts and just enjoying their childhood. I got a lot of good child hood memories, what are they going to remember besides facebook and internet games?
Also, overly melodramatic celebrities. Can the crocodile tears for ratings.
I'm with @neely on selfies. One or two with your partner, kid, or pet is really cute and something to hang onto, but do we really need 5 selfies of you cruising through Wal-marts candy aisle? (Also, the "duck face" isn't cute or sexy. I won't say what it is, but......it's not cute or sexy.)

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! Where to begin???

cell phones and people's addictions to them
Facebook and twitter
instagram and people getting famous for NO reason, and this includes you tube
manbuns
selfies
Taylor Swift - I DON'T GET IT!! She does not seem like a nice person to me at all!
ALL "reality" TV
The Kardashians
The over saturation of "political comedy" TV shows

I'm starting to get upset...I'm going to stop.:argh: ;)

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rap "music" but maybe that is just taste - I am sure some people don't like country which is my favorite.

As others said, being on a cell phone instead of interacting. I can't imagine not having my cell phone, but if I am with a friend, for example, and someone calls, I don't answer.

Posting every little thing on facebook. I don't care what you had for breakfast. Which is why I rarely go on facebook - mostly just to keep up with my shelter and other fosters.

And this not exactly a trend, but I hate the lack of good grammar in letters, texts, billboards, conversation - everywhere. Both of my parents taught English and I majored in languages so I hate the trendy phrases - like, and my new personal (un)favorite - "reach out" as in "I will reach out to our (x) team." Are you going to grab their arm?

And jeans hanging well below the waist with underwear showing. This is a male thing. I really don't want to see your b..t.

I could go on but that's enough.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People not voting even though they are able to.
Agree 100, ashekitty ashekitty -- even when none of the candidates is worth the powder, as my folks would say, people can still vote on the issues! I regard voting as almost sacred, since people fought and died so I could vote and that's still something that's going on today in some areas/for some people.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
People that allow technology to raise their children. Brace yourselves, this is my personal soapbox.

I get letting your kid have tablet or TV time while you cook dinner/do stuff around the house/want ten minutes to yourself. I also understand how integrated technology is in everyday life, from school to work to recreation.

What I do not get is having kids buried in tablets in restaurants and not being involved in conversation. Babies that can't walk yet with their faces inches from a cell phone screen while mom and dad grocery shop. Kids that have no idea how to occupy themselves in a car/bus/plane without some sort of electronic in their hand. The meltdowns that ensue if a device dies and there is no charger.

We are doing our kids the greatest disservice we have ever seen. This overuse of technology is causing motor (fine and gross) development issues. For example, kids aren't using their whole hands to grasp, etc. anymore during play. Kids aren't playing outside and learning, using their whole bodies to jump and run which is presenting as obesity and lack of coordination/body awareness in space.

In my opinion, it is the greatest travesty of this generation.

Please note: I am referring to typically developing children. Those that use tablets/technology as communication devices are, of course, an entirely different subject.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People that allow technology to raise their children. Brace yourselves, this is my personal soapbox.

I get letting your kid have tablet or TV time while you cook dinner/do stuff around the house/want ten minutes to yourself. I also understand how integrated technology is in everyday life, from school to work to recreation.

What I do not get is having kids buried in tablets in restaurants and not being involved in conversation. Babies that can't walk yet with their faces inches from a cell phone screen while mom and dad grocery shop. Kids that have no idea how to occupy themselves in a car/bus/plane without some sort of electronic in their hand. The meltdowns that ensue if a device dies and there is no charger.

We are doing our kids the greatest disservice we have ever seen. This overuse of technology is causing motor (fine and gross) development issues. For example, kids aren't using their whole hands to grasp, etc. anymore during play. Kids aren't playing outside and learning, using their whole bodies to jump and run which is presenting as obesity and lack of coordination/body awareness in space.

In my opinion, it is the greatest travesty of this generation.

Please note: I am referring to typically developing children. Those that use tablets/technology as communication devices are, of course, an entirely different subject.
As a preschool teacher I 100% agree. The changes in the past ten years are insane.