Question Of The Day, Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmmmmmm...what am I nosey about today? OH OH OH! I know...

What is something that is popular right now that annoys you to no end?

For me, it is cell phones. Well, not so much the cell phone as how attached people are to them. They're attached to the point of rudeness. For instance, a friend stopped by the other night to "visit." We were sitting on my front porch, and she was on the phone with her boyfriend when she got there. I sat there listening (I had no choice) for about 5 minutes, then said, very nicely, "I can see you're busy...I'm going to get on my computer, and we'll visit another time." To her credit, if someone calls her now when she's at my house, she tells them she'll call them back. She did learn. It seems to me that too often now we have relationships with our devices, not with people.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Having dinner at sometimes house with the tv on. I'm not referring to watching a football, basketball, world cup or super bowl game or when you are having a movie. dinner night. I like to talk and not have the news on. Instead most people are either watching and commenting on the news while playing with their phone.

I guess I'm old school or maybe just old, :flail:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The hairstyles right now, or should I say the lack of. My 85 year old mother went in and came out looking like she just crawled out of bed. Come on people, I know you just don't have 'time' anymore, but at least look like you've dragged a brush through it. They can spend 8 hours on a cell phone but not 15 minutes in front of a mirror.......

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine is a language thing. The word 'much' followed by a single word. Like..."jealous much?" or "coffee much?". You hear it with the young crowd all the time. Whenever someone says 'much' to me, my response is "articulate much"? The problem is they are then confused because they have no idea what the word articulate means.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmmmm...what am I nosey about today? OH OH OH! I know...

What is something that is popular right now that annoys you to no end?

For me, it is cell phones. Well, not so much the cell phone as how attached people are to them. They're attached to the point of rudeness. For instance, a friend stopped by the other night to "visit." We were sitting on my front porch, and she was on the phone with her boyfriend when she got there. I sat there listening (I had no choice) for about 5 minutes, then said, very nicely, "I can see you're busy...I'm going to get on my computer, and we'll visit another time." To her credit, if someone calls her now when she's at my house, she tells them she'll call them back. She did learn. It seems to me that too often now we have relationships with our devices, not with people.
I can't think of anything in particular except for what you mentioned about the cellphones. That's why I got rid of mine and use a Nokia C3 instead. I'm on it much less now. Sometimes, I even forget it when I leave the house. It's not on half the time. It forces me to look at people. Interact. Ask questions. Etc.

Anyway, along the lines of what you just said, something that is popular today seems to be lack of basic human decency. I won't refer to anything specific. I'm sure you've seen and/or experienced something that will make you agree. So, I will leave that up to you to decide.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Movie remakes. They are rarely good and not needed. Think of something original please.

TV show reboots. I loved the original Beverly Hills 90210. It was a guilty pleasure and, well, Luke Perry :wink:

I watched about 15 minutes of BH 90210 and it is horrible. Whose idea was it to integrate their "real" lives in the show? Awful. RIP Luke. :angel:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Movie remakes. They are rarely good and not needed. Think of something original please.

TV show reboots. I loved the original Beverly Hills 90210. It was a guilty pleasure and, well, Luke Perry :wink:

I watched about 15 minutes of BH 90210 and it is horrible. Whose idea was it to integrate their "real" lives in the show? Awful. RIP Luke. :angel:
Same with the all female Ghostbusters. Who's idea was it to remake such a classic? And how many Godzilla movie remakes do we need anyway?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Selfies - people who have to stop and take a selfie everywhere they go. :headshake:
Yes, yes, yes! I really wonder if those posting them all the time on social media actually stop to just enjoy a sunset, crashing waves, butterflies on flowers, etc., or are always on the lookout for a photo opportunity.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh were do I start?
The fortnite dances
Remaking classic movies (such as Ben-Hur who in their right mind remakes a movie that won 11 academy awards! :fuming:)
The ripped jeans
The popular rap music
ect.
Ouhhhh... popular rap music. I have sooo many opinions on those. :eviltongue:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I find pretty much anything super trendy annoying on some level. I didn’t decide to homeschool my kids to keep them away from trendy influences; but it’s sure been a perk not to hear about every trend kids are into at school. They didn’t know what fidget spinners were till a friend gave them each one! And they never got the idea that they’d be able to play with one during school time.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like those scruffy beards men are wearing these days. It makes them look too lazy to shave. Beards that are longer and neatly trimmed are fine, but not that 2-3 days growth.

I don't like the messy women's hairstyles, either. Some of the curled ones have straight ends hanging out and they look like they didn't know what they were doing with the curling iron. When I hear something about a messy bun, I think, oh yeah, I can do a messy bun. No prob.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's all a matter of taste. I love scruff on a man. And some people spend more time on making their "messy" hair look right than they would making it look buttoned-down.

I don't mind some remakes, but they do get carried away.

I don't like selfies. Not one bit.
I didn’t decide to homeschool my kids to keep them away from trendy influences; but it’s sure been a perk not to hear about every trend kids are into at school.
Be sure they get enough exposure to other kids and trends, especially when they're 10+. It's very hard to relate to co-workers as an adult if you don't have pop-culture references in common. That's my biggest regret about homeschooling.