Question of the Day, Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Most of us prefer either gold or silver. I prefer silver. However, my very favorite metal is bronze. I can't get enough bronze. EVERY curtain rod in my apartment is bronze, my canisters in my kitchen are bronze, IF I were allowed to change my towel racks and potty paper holders, THEY would be bronze.

SO...what's your favorite metal? Not just for jewelry, but in your home, as well?

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Copper for my cooking pots - I have Revere ware copper bottom for every day, a few tin lined "real" copper pots, one huge copper stock pot. A copper bowl and copper whisk for beating egg whites when I am in the mood.And yes, I keep them polished. In fact, copper polish is the one item I am having difficulty finding right now. Not out yet, but becoming concerned. I know Shoprite will have it but I don't want to go in there.

And I like silver for jewelry, candlesticks, and dinner party tableware.

For kitchen knives I like carbon steel - easy to give a quick touch-up sharpening.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Steel for jewelry. I like stuff that isn't too shiny. If I ever get married, I'd probably want one of those really slick titanium or cobalt rings. If my partner tried to propose with a gold ring or a ring with a diamond in it, I'd have to throw them out haha because clearly they didn't know me at all!

I feel a little bad about my distaste for jewelry. My mother dutifully has all of hers insured and gets them cleaned and appraised regularly and I feel guilty because I know she assumes they'll be passed down to me. Maybe my brother will marry someone who likes jewelry...lol The only piece of jewelry I've ever wanted to inherit was my grandpa's firefighter ring, but when I asked for it, we found that it had been lost. What a shame!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted a white gold ring. I told my husband rose gold would be okay, please no yellow, and white was preferred.

He went with platinum, and it ended up being a good choice because it's hypoallergenic and won't have to be redipped in rhodium.

We have stainless steel and cast iron in the kitchen. Maybe copper? I've heard great things about copper pans.

I don't know if I have a favorite metal...

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Copper probably. I love the warm glow it has. My curtain rods and ceiling fans are the oil rubbed bronze and I love that. But on the wall in the kitchen I hung some decorative copper placemats shaped like leaves. I got them at Kohls in the fall things one year.

Our house came with standard nickel faucets and we've stuck with that when we changed them. They feel more timeless and blend in. If I get to design my own house; I'm using something different. The light fixtures in the bathrooms are brushed nickel.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like silver jewelry. Copper would be my metal of choice for house stuff; however, I also like--and have--oil rubbed bronze. I also like titanium in general.

I'd probably want one of those really slick titanium or cobalt rings. If my partner tried to propose with a gold ring or a ring with a diamond in it, I'd have to throw them out haha because clearly they didn't know me at all!
Haha! I know what you mean! It should have been a warning with my ex-husband when he proposed with a diamond set in gold. He did propose six times before I said yes. Nearly 20 years together, and he never really put in the effort to know me well.

My husband had an acquaintance who is a jeweler make a silver engagement ring with color-shift green sapphire a white topaz halo for me because I am not a fan of diamonds and becaue green is my favorite color. My wedding band does have diamonds. Little green ones. Since they are green, I have no complaints! (He has a tungsten "The One Ring" as his engagement ring and a silver band with a crow on it for his wedding band. He wears them on opposite hands.)

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I definitely hate yellow gold. A lot of the switch plates in my house are yellow gold and once I figure out what I'm painting the walls, the switch plates are going.

I don't wear jewelry. If I were to get married though, I'd want either white gold, platinum or silver for the ring. In my house, I like copper. The light fixture in my bedroom is copper-colored, so I'm painting the walls in there a turquoise to coordinate with it.