Question of the Day, Wednesday April 14th

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I've been going through and getting rid of a lot of paperwork lately, both mine and my mother's. How do you generally get rid of sensitive paperwork (bank statements, credit card statements, etc.) ?

I generally shred all paperwork like that, but there has been so much lately that I've been burning some when we use the fire pit.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I shred... but I understand being overwhelmed at the mountains of shredding which has be to done..

It is too much.. sometimes I just ignore it.. and redshift the 'mountains'....
I do that too. I need to get to my mountains though. I'm pretty sure I saw a climber on one of them the other day. :lol:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
There are different local shredding events in our area so we bring our sensitive paperwork there. You can also bring electronics. It's very well organized and you don't even have to get out of your car. I remember when my husband's sister passed away her step-daughter was overwhelmed with all the paperwork she had saved and collected so she had a shredding company come to the house with some type of large container. I have no idea how much that cost though.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I do shred but only the pieces that have personal info. So I pile it all up and go through it piece by piece, cutting off the personal part for shredding. Usually the shredder pile ends up being very small and the rest goes in recycling.

Kathrines_Cat^_^

Cat! :-D
Young Cat
Purraise
Wait until a family member wants to go on a camping trip and use it as fire paper. :-)
My family goes on camping trips every summer (and they pay for my ticket and food so it's kind of a win-win) so I just throw everything I don't want into the campfire. ;)

I guess that doesn't work for everyone though.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
we put papers through a cross-cut shredder.
I have a cross-cut shredder, as well. It's a higher priced one, which doesn't overheat every 2 minutes.

Shredding goes into a blue bag, then by the street on garbage/recycling pickup day.

And prior to pickup day, "someone" has a temporary bed. :winkcat:

1618425947431.png

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've taken mine to UPS to shred. They store it in a locked container and then Iron Mountain picks it up. Iron Mountain is a big sensitive document shredding company and takes care that nothing is left of the documents. I've noticed that another exclusive shredding company has opened nearby, and I may try that. I take my papers in paper grocery bags.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh, small fire pits are considered barbeques here so they're legal even when it's dry enough for a burn ban.

I usually shred stuff. If I'm going to do a fire in the fire pit I'll save some papers back for that but it sends up those flaming paper bits so it makes me a little nervous. I guess I could put the cover on it when I put the paper in though.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh, small fire pits are considered barbeques here so they're legal even when it's dry enough for a burn ban.

I usually shred stuff. If I'm going to do a fire in the fire pit I'll save some papers back for that but it sends up those flaming paper bits so it makes me a little nervous. I guess I could put the cover on it when I put the paper in though.
Not here, it's not. Just last week a woman was ticketed for burning some stuff in a fire pit when she was spotted by someone driving past her house who blew her in to the DEC.