Question of the Day - Tuesday, September 27

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greeeeeeetings everyone! Happy Tuesday!

What kind of classes do you wish existed when you were going to school? (Elementary/Grade School to High School)

More language classes other than French - French is great of course, but would have enjoyed and appreciated other language courses too. During my final year of High School, German was going to be offered for the first time and everyone was SO excited that registrations for the course completely booked up. But whatever reason it didn't end up happening as they cancelled it 🤷‍♀️ Multiple language courses are of course common in many parts of the world.

Other classes I would have liked would be more philosophy classes. People underestimate the value of philosophy so much.
Self defense! To go along with the usual fitness, sports and CPR training and Community Volunteering that we did.
And in retrospect for many, a course on finance/budgeting would be beneficial I'm sure. Preparation for things like debts, investing/savings, mortgages, paying for post-secondary, rent etc etc

kidi-okul-okul.gif

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had a state requirement for PE in high school for two years and again for two years in college. I wish there had been an option to just work out for the 50 minutes in high school, there was an option for that in college. I am not coordinated or athletic, always one of the last picked for teams in grade school. Maybe working out 50 minutes a day three times a week as a freshman and sophomore in high school it would have become more of an ingrained habit. Working out is something that I hate and force myself to do, kind of like a dose of bad medicine. Maybe if I had started as a young teenager it wouldn't be that way for me.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i wish they had alot more drug and anti gang educational classes. while i was a kid growing up maybe it could have helped me to make the right choices before i screwed up my life making the wrong ones. whle its true for some kids its all they know/ see growing up(makes things normal to them). i feel like the earlier we educate the kids on things the better chance we have at ending these issues in our country. after all these kids are our future why not give them the best chance to grow up decent people

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
More stuff about African American, Native American history, how the Japanese were treated terribly in WW2, Climate Change and Environmentalist issues, and like, when I was a kid there were about five known dinosaurs. So more on the dinosaur front.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fun question!

I would have LOVED a non-traditional gym class. I have never been particularly coordinated (physically, musically I can hold my own) and I came to hate sports. I do think exposure to different sports is good; but it would be really helpful if everyone could find a way to move that they love. It might even go a long way to help the obesity issues we have in modern society. I know it's something that's been hard for me to recover from as an adult. And it felt SO unfair for gym to bring down my GPA even though I was trying hard! :crazy:

Art History or non-traditional history classes. I'm not good with memorizing dates; but when you set that aside these can be some of the most captivating subjects. I was talking about this with my god-mother and apparently I'm covering history much more in-depth than schools do. I do think curriculum is becoming more diversified because even using a religious based one my DD's last 2 years have covered ancient history including different regions of Africa, Central and South America. History has led to some of the most interesting discussions looking at the good, the bad and everything in between. My niece and nephew haven't even been taught who George Washington was. :dunno:

And in retrospect for many, a course on finance/budgeting would be beneficial I'm sure. Preparation for things like debts, investing/savings, mortgages, paying for post-secondary, rent etc etc
I was actually thinking about this recently because our Economics teacher did talk a lot about these things and it was an AMAZING class. He was really passionate about teaching that particular subject so he made it really fun and it ended up being the most practical class I took in school. I didn't realize other schools weren't covering those things like that! I mean my parents did too; but not everyone's parents understand these things.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The classes were there but pretty much just offered to the boys. Girls had to take home economics, boys got shop class and auto repair. I had been a 4 H member for a number of years so I had the cooking and sewing down and would have much preferred the shop class.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greeeeeeetings everyone! Happy Tuesday!

What kind of classes do you wish existed when you were going to school? (Elementary/Grade School to High School)

More language classes other than French - French is great of course, but would have enjoyed and appreciated other language courses too. During my final year of High School, German was going to be offered for the first time and everyone was SO excited that registrations for the course completely booked up. But whatever reason it didn't end up happening as they cancelled it 🤷‍♀️ Multiple language courses are of course common in many parts of the world.
My husband studied Russian in High School (and this was a VERY long time ago.) The school I went to offered French and Spanish, but only if you were doing really well in English. I chose French, because of my French heritage, but I wasn't very very good at it. I still wish I could learn it.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The school I went to offered French and Spanish as well. I tried both and didn't get very far with either one. I never was able to trill the r's.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finances, Budgeting, real life stuff. Actual history too. I was in college when I learned the true history of Native Americans (and that might have been primarily because I went to a college that was once a Native American boarding school) and only in the last few years have I learned about racism in the US.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I wish there would have been more attention to the arts for creative expression, e.g. media art, visual art, musical theater or dance.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, my high school had a lot of those classes mentioned as electives - I was very lucky. You got to choose your gym classes junior and senior year (so long as they fit into your schedule) so people could choose things like dance, or power walking, or bowling. We had tons of art classes - I took jewelry making my senior year, there was a parenting/child development class that ran a preschool with local kids, and everyone was required to take consumer ed or test out of it. We also got to choose social studies electives as upperclassmen. I did psychology and sociology, but there were different history and geography options as well.

So I guess I just wish everyone had schools like that.