Question Of The Day - Tuesday, September 24

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Everyone! Happy Tuesday! :fallsmiley:

What is the one thing you’d love to do, but don’t think you’ll ever do?

The first thing that comes to mind for me is probably sky diving. I had actually planned to consider doing it this summer....but the local sky diving company recently had a tragically fatal accident with a 63 year old woman during a tandem jump :paperbag: she died on scene. It was investigated and no criminal responsibility (The parachute malfunctioned). Nevertheless I might just wait a wee bit longer for the time being. I know there are plenty of great companies out there, deaths are still not entirely common and due of the nature of the activity risks are there anyway, but I think I'll definitely do some more research and bade my time some more. Weigh my priorities a bit! I think if I were to risk my life than I would save it for actual travelling.

Another thing is to renovate and create a museum for the once-top-secret World War II radar stations and buildings we have here in my province at this specific small town. It's amazing part of history but sadly they have fallen into disrepair and abandonment. I just need a few million dollars! No big deal :lol:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually two. A trip to Africa to see what is left of the wildlife. A trip to India that includes going out on an elephant to try to find a tiger in the wild.

I always wanted to go skydiving and finally did go on a tandem jump. I was surprised that they had me go through a pretty involved class before going, I guess to try to make sure someone doesn't freak out. This place that I went to puts people through a lot of training. If someone wants to do a jump on their own there are several weeks of training that include jumping off the tower with a zip line and several static line jumps before someone does their first free fall.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always thought that after I retire I might like to go on one of those chartered bus tours. Maybe to out to New England to view the fall colors or something. My parents went on several of these tours and really enjoyed them.

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Close proximity wingsuit flight... it looks like such a rush, but first I've gotta straighten out this train wreck I call my life, LOL. If I ever get around to doing this wingsuit number, I wanna do it just the way Jeb Corliss and the "Brazilian Speed Freak" do it in this video, including the recovery by boat:

You can skip the stupid ads at the outset, just gotta wait a few seconds... :confused:

If I ever hit the Big Time, I'm gonna sail down to Ball's Pyramid---largest volcanic stack in the world, over 1800' high---and jump outta the chopper the very same way. Heights have never bothered me, and I flew in choppers many times in the Aaaaarrrrgghhmy... what a cool way to enjoy that magnificent scenery!!! :yess:

Edit: Technical rock climbers have successfully ascended this stack, NOT something I'd wanna do since the quality of the rock is poor, it looks like total rubble and several narratives by climbers confirm this... kinda ironic, the wingsuit flight would actually be SAFER than an ascent with rope & gear. "ER, I'LL TAKE THE WINGSUIT FLIGHT FOR $500, ALEX!!!" :rolleyes:

P.S. Be sure to watch the "full-screen version" of this video on your computer... MO' BETTAH THAT WAY, LOL. The classic hand aboard the inflatable at the end of the video reminds me of THE HOBBIT. :cool:

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That kind of looks like low altitude skydiving with a special suit that allows for some gliding.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take Michele on a sailing cruise around the Caribbean, but that won't happen because she won't leave the cats overnight, even though our neighbors have offered to care for them on multiple occasions.

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That kind of looks like low altitude skydiving with a special suit that allows for some gliding.
Not always low altitude, though hardcore climbers helped pioneer close proximity wingsuit flight. Dean Potter lived on the razor's edge and created the concept of "Free-Basing"---free soloing some tall cliff or spire and B.A.S.E. jumping off the top with a wingsuit. Like Jeb Corliss and other pioneers, Dean Potter is dead, but his legacy will live forever, same way Dan Osman's legacy will live forever:

Me: That was fun, I'm landing in the ocean.
Bullshark: Mmmm...lunch.
I'm ordering up the 2-ton Great White, it'll be faster that way... :eek:

Take Michele on a sailing cruise around the Caribbean...
Ah, another sailor... it's what I do best. Always wanted to sail the Caribbean, but if I hit the big time, I'm off for Australia & Ball's Pyramid... :running:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hike alone in a remote area. I'm not trained in survival and I'm kind of a big chicken. I went for a walk yesterday after work thinking I could do a 3.2 mile loop before the sun set, but I didn't. While walking through these woods, I saw a bunch of deer, but it was dark and I couldn't quite make out that they were deer, so I was naturally scared. We've had cougar sightings in the area where I work (yes, the suburbs), so that was all I was thinking about too.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hike alone in a remote area. I'm not trained in survival and I'm kind of a big chicken. I went for a walk yesterday after work thinking I could do a 3.2 mile loop before the sun set, but I didn't. While walking through these woods, I saw a bunch of deer, but it was dark and I couldn't quite make out that they were deer, so I was naturally scared. We've had cougar sightings in the area where I work (yes, the suburbs), so that was all I was thinking about too.
Go to a sporting goods store and get a can of bear spray. It will shoot about 30 feet and works against both 2 and 4 legged predators.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not always low altitude, though hardcore climbers helped pioneer close proximity wingsuit flight. Dean Potter lived on the razor's edge and created the concept of "Free-Basing"---free soloing some tall cliff or spire and B.A.S.E. jumping off the top with a wingsuit. Like Jeb Corliss and other pioneers, Dean Potter is dead, but his legacy will live forever, same way Dan Osman's legacy will live forever:

I'm ordering up the 2-ton Great White, it'll be faster that way... :eek:

Ah, another sailor... it's what I do best. Always wanted to sail the Caribbean, but if I hit the big time, I'm off for Australia & Ball's Pyramid... :running:
Yeah, I sailed around the Caribbean once, but that was about 50 years ago, on Uncle Sam's nickel. At night, we could see the cruise ships from miles away, lit up like Katy's Cathouse on a Saturday night, and how can you see the stars like that?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Have a healthy/stable relationship and get married. I'd love to but decent human beings seem almost non-existent nowadays.

I know people are all about the shift from the stereotypical family dynamic to a more modern one but I want the stereotypical. I always have. I want the nice big house with the loving husband and a few kids that make me worry sick every time they sleep over at a friends house. I want a family album that makes me cry everytime I open it and see how much our little family has grown.