Question of the Day - Tuesday, September 21

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Hello! Happy Tuesday!

What is the most interesting subject a little kid has talked to you about?

Years ago I babysat my neighbours little girl, she was around 7 and I was a teen. We started chatting about ghosts and hauntings which was actually pretty intriguing and fun. She claimed a lot of things had happened in her home and surrounding area. Obviously had to take at least some of these stories with a grain of salt for known reasons (Not to dismiss the words of kids in it's entirety, but kids will also be kids sometimes too) but it was a neat night of chatter nevertheless.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister recorded my niece telling a story called the "Legend of Creepy Sharon." She was 4 at the time. She's a very imaginative child. I just watched the video again and I think the story is about a monster (possibly named Sharon) was attacking a village and a family didn't know what to do to stay safe, but a coconut had a good idea. Eventually the family was saved by the dad (I think) by fighting the monster with his own monster.

LokiWolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i dont talk to kids so i wouldnt know lol
Lol nor do I. I'm not a fan of them especially in the screaming phase. I have sensory overload issues and that triggers it so dang fast so I try to avoid.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When DD was little, she thought all birds were robins so that must mean that they were all named Robin too. :blush:

One day Dh, DD and I were out and she saw a bird (Robin, of course) walking across the grass. She yelled out, "Daddy! That bird is walking!" I asked her what was wrong with that. She rolled her eyes at me and said, "It's SUPPOSED to be flying." I asked her what the bird's feet were for then. She again rolled her eyes at me and said, "Landing". It was adorable.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A little girl I was babysitting for asked me " What is sex? ". She was too young to understand the explicit details so I told her about a man and woman lying close to each other when they love each other. She looked puzzled and said, " There's not enough room to write that on the library card form where it says Name, Age, Sex. "

I've heard jokes about things like that but it really happened to me.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's hard to think of something, oddly, despite the fact that I've had hundreds of students in my time. Maybe I'm oversaturated, lol.

I do remember one student absolutely insisting to me that cats don't drink water because they're afraid of it, and he didn't believe me when I said Lelia will drink water and it's more big water that cats are afraid of.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My youngest brother is (diagnosed) Asperger's/autism spectrum and had a series of intense special interests when he was very young, as is common in autistic kids. One interest for a while was drawing maps, so he of course had to be able to label the capitals and major cities. So this kid, around age 4 or 5, could tell you the capital of Belgium right off the top of his head. And draw a map of it. Along with every other country in the world. It was nuts. Another special interest was anatomy. Every detail. He could lecture you for half an hour about fallopian tubes. That part was a little embarrassing. Then it was birds. I remember a lady at the grocery store saying "look at the birdie!" (in a store ad) and my brother said, absolutely witheringly "that's a Scarlet Macaw, not a birdie". She's lucky he didn't whip out the scientific name. Outer space. Dinosaurs. Public infrastructure.

Autism spectrum kids are the best when it comes to unusual special interests, if you can get them to trust you enough to talk to you. Once they do, you won't ever be bored! Well, ok, unless you get bored of hearing about the capital of Belgium I guess.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, I've heard some great things from some of my younger students.

One little girl said, "I can't look at the textbook today because I need to tell you about mermaids!" Then proceeded to give me this long, convoluted story about princesses that live under the sea and ride dolphins and how she'd seen one in an aquarium. Much better story than the textbook had to offer.

:lol:

Another time one of my neighbor's kids knocked on my door and told me, deathly serious, "If you give a cat dog food it will die!" then walked away.

One of my brother's kids told me he wanted to be a superhero when he grew up "Because they can run faster than motorbikes."

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:rolleyes:it happens to me alot when waiting in line at petsmart wih a bag of crickets:lol:usually begins with the mom telling the kid ask him what he is feeding the crickets to.:flail:tarantulas are the last thing they are expecting me to say it doesnt help i have lots of pictures on my phone to show the kids. while answering their questions( explaining the difference between poison and venom) and ecouraging their interest in a big hairy spider telling them where they can purchase one of their very own:flail:by then my gf is usually poking me to be quite already while the kids mom is stuck in a position of limiting her kids curiosity and praying i will tell the kid its a grown up type pet only(yep i am aware its usually the parent that ends up caring for the pet):flail:but its possible i might have planted the seed in a future biologist that might help save the earth one day:biggrin:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my youngest was about 6 years old there was a fun run going on in town. He saw the runners and announced, l can do that and win. Then he ran alongside them until he came to the edge of the pavement. He wasn't allowed across the road. Turned to us and said see I don't even get out of breath. All the way home he told us how when he grew up he was going to be a runner. Everything from how he'd eat to be fit, to what he'd wear for running. Never mentioned it again after that but it was a interesting conversation. Better than that was a conversation my daughter heard my 5 year old grandson have. Over the weekend she had done her nails and my grandson and his sister had both asked to get thier nails painted. When he went to school on Monday his nails were still painted lovely pinks blues and yellows with glitter. His friend said you've got nail varnish on you girl. My grandson looked at the other child like he'd grown two heads. And said I'm not a girl I'm a boy, look at the cool colours they are Awsome. The other boy was impressed by the colours and agreed they were cool. Then they went to play with the toy's no more said.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to look after a little boy whose family had fled the war in Syria and he was always so thought provoking to talk to. He had to mature quickly, so even though he hadn't even started primary school yet when he was in my care, I could have almost proper conversations with him. He was a very sweet little boy.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My great nephew...5 years old and knew all the F1 cars and drivers and their stats..kid after my own heart..lol
Took him to our racetrack and he just walked around in open eyed wonder touching the cars and saying hello to all the drivers.