Question Of The Day - Tuesday, September 12

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
hmmm the biggest..is BO on people. When I go book shopping there's always some guy who smells like a dumpster...and I think they do it on purpose-thinking that less people compete..hahaha he is wrong-it doesn't keep me away because I am very competitive that way but I do give him dirty looks and say oh no someone forgot to take a shower today. I don't care if it's rude-it's rude to not take care of your body so the rest of us have to smell you.

Pam-that's funny about the cigarettes, my mother smoked a ton and she too used to say she liked the smell of it lighting up...she had COPD so she had to back off-she never quit-got down to 3 a day-the doctor at the time decided that was fine-she already had stage 4 lung cancer, not from smoking but from melanoma.So at that point she was better to taper off and only have a few a day..she smoked up till day before she passed. but she was really good about it. one in morning. one at noon. and bedtime. It was all she lived for. I couldn't take that away from her. If that's the worse thing she did then so be it.

Me I hate cig smoke. I was a very sick child from her smoking. ear infections, surgeries, illness. allergies. once I moved out into other homes=most of my symptoms went away...So growing up if she smoked outside most of this would have been avoided...ear infections from hell. oh I still can smell her Virginia Slims Menthol extra lights 120s. some strange brand that was hard to find. we tried to get her on Marlboros and nope. she hated them.

The farm smells don't really bother me...It not pleasant but I know I can get in truck and leave area so it doesn't really bother me. Perfumes I HATE. ALL of it bothers me. Most chemicals bother me. Make up has an odor I DETEST. lipsticks. yuck. I like simple soap clean. no heavy mens cologne. yuck. :barfgreen::barfgreen::barfgreen::barfgreen::barfgreen::barfgreen:

Wet dog is the worst to me. When the cats are wet-they stink like a dog. Hahaha. :paranoid::paranoid::paranoid:

At work we had a handful of guys that refused to bath=or they said they did but no deodorant. One day he came into my area-and stunk it up 10 feet away. I hollered at him to get the :censored: out of here because it stinks so bad!! :eviltongue::eviltongue::eviltongue:
I never said anything before but we all talked about him being stinky. I got fed up. He says girls like this smell! I said WHAT??!! So yep I let it loose and told him point plank he's wrong and that's the nastiest smell. He says some bs about how girls find their mate by smelling sweat from a shirt of a guy and if they are compatible then they will like it..I said NOOOO. I said girls like CLEAN soap smell. I asked him why?!! He says he wont wear Deodorant because it could cause cancer. I asked him how old he was...55. I said ok at 55 I think you can start wearing something to hide your offensive odor...he finally started wearing deodorant. But I was afraid he was going to turn me into HR which I was ready to report him as a nuisance with his BO I just couldn't stand. :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2: so he was mad at me for a few days but he listened...I said to him your poor wife...she doesn't deserve a stinky husband...so maybe I made his wife happy for the first time in 30 years...anyways yep I am VERY sensitive to odors and not afraid to voice it. :sigh:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't care if it's rude-it's rude to not take care of your body so the rest of us have to smell you.
Some people have a medical problem causing bad BO even when they're impeccably clean. Unless you're 100% sure someone is doing it on purpose, you could be causing extreme pain to someone with a chronic medical problem :(.
Bromhidrosis: Background, Pathophysiology, Epidemiology

I hate cigarette or cigar smoke, especially the stale smell that sticks to clothes and hair. I actually like the smell of pipesmoke, unfortunately it'll wreck your lungs just as bad as any other kind.

Cooking meat, most of the time. Especially ground beef or turkey. I can't cook meat at home for that reason.

Strong perfumes, especially the Axe-type stuff that young men wear and floral perfumes. Ugh. My aunt just about bathes in her perfume and I find it hard to be around her.

Herbicides have a sickly sweet smell that I can't stand. Nobody else seems to be able to smell it :/. But I can always tell when someone's lawn or field has been sprayed.

There is some kind of fertilizer that's bad, too. It may be anhydrous ammonia, idk. Anyway it stinks. Not like manure; that I can stand. But it's a burning chemical-y smell.

Have you ever found an old cat pee spot that can't dry, maybe a puddle under the litterbox or something? Old cat pee, yuck.

An unspayed female cat has a particular odor. I can almost stand tomcat smell but not that female smell. Maybe it's phermones, idk.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just thought of another one.

Mildewed clothing. OMG

Years ago, I worked with a guy who smelled like it for weeks on end. I finally had to say something to him. Turned out, his wife would do the laundry but it was summer and they had no dryer in their apartment. So, she'd just air dry it but they also, had no a/c! So the wet clothing would never quite dry correctly, with good air flow and well, mildew would set in.

He was so embarrassed. I felt awful but the stench was just too much to deal with.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Marsh smells. We had a house that the neighborhood was built on/right up to a marsh. The smell could be so heavy and oppressive it was like you couldn't breath with the windows open at night.

I've had a few clients with the mildew clothing problem. Both lived in older houses and the "old house" smell isn't great either. I used to open a baby powder scented candle to cover it. I never lit it and it didn't bother anyone else in the office. But it was just enough to mask the smell. I have actually heard of people being let go from jobs because they didn't address their odor issues. One employer said they actually had to throw away the office chair the person used! Now that's BAD.

I also can't stand cigarette smoke. Or breath. I can't stand being breathed on and smelling someone's breath. DH and I have been known to shove pillows in each other's faces in bed. :p

Raw meat is bad too. It was really gross when I was pregnant with DD. DH had to eat a lot of frozen chicken strips. :barfgreen: My Grandpa was practically horrified but I could not stomach meat. I don't know how he made it through 4 pregnancies with my Grandma. :lol:

Grease from frying is bad. I found the smell of my clothing nauseating when I worked at Dairy Queen in high school. Grease and ice cream... bleh.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grease from frying is bad. I found the smell of my clothing nauseating when I worked at Dairy Queen in high school
Oh, ugh, yes. My brother worked at Pizza Hut as a teen and his uniform shirts always smelled like old pepperoni grease, and it wouldn't wash out, and would make the rest of the laundry smell too. They don't even fry stuff there, idk why it smelled like that. But ick.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, ugh, yes. My brother worked at Pizza Hut as a teen and his uniform shirts always smelled like old pepperoni grease, and it wouldn't wash out, and would make the rest of the laundry smell too. They don't even fry stuff there, idk why it smelled like that. But ick.
Yes! It took me years to be able to walk into a Dairy Queen without being grossed out by the smell. I still prefer the Drive-thru if I need a Blizzard fix! :lol:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Count me in, too, for hating cigarette smells. And I hate the smell of pot! Peuwk!

I don't like the smells of gasoline; kimchee; cauliflower being cooked. And if you wear perfume, it should be low sillage or I might glare at you! lol

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Petrol.

Mould and mildew.

Bacon. I know all you meat eaters think bacon is the best thing ever and can't understand how anyone can resist the smell, but I think it smells gross. I would rather suck a sweaty sock than smell bacon.

:barfgreen:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cigarette smoke -- i can smell it if it's even remotely in my general vicinity, or on someone who has smoked one/some. i do like cigar smoke though, the cheap kind that smell kind of sweet...or maybe it's cheap pipe tobacco, i don't remember but one of those two...:dunno: perfumes and colognes in general.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Petrol.

Mould and mildew.

Bacon. I know all you meat eaters think bacon is the best thing ever and can't understand how anyone can resist the smell, but I think it smells gross. I would rather suck a sweaty sock than smell bacon.

:barfgreen:
I'm also a vegetarian and I can't stand the smell of most meat. Especially bacon, fish and cat food. One time when I was trapping ferals I opened a can of human salmon and there was a big worn in the fish. I have a weak stomach and it was all I could do to keep from throwing up.

Muffy

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a friend who can't stand the smell of bacon. To the point that if I get a bacon cheesburger she has to to sit at another table until I'm finished with the burger and then she'll come back and sit with me while I eat the fries, lol. She is vegetarian now but even before that she just plain didn't like bacon.

Cheap canned dog food is absolutely the worst smelling thing ever. I guess cheap canned cat food usually has fish to mask the other smells. But that dog food, ugh.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any perfume that is put on too heavy, some a very little goes a long way. I don't know if it is still around but Calvin Klein had one called Obsession, that was such a heavy scent I don't think it is possible to have a light enough hand with it.