Question of the Day - Tuesday, October 27

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greetings! 🎃

I couldn't decide which spooky question to ask for the final week of October. So, I will post both. You can answer just one or both if you desire, it's all dandy.

Name something you wouldn’t want to run into in a dark forest or in an abandoned building?

OR

The creepiest thing that’s ever happened while you were alone?

(I'll answer the first one)

Probably any sinister or creepy looking site with previous or current activity - A possible serial killer location, a satanic cult, a home/cabin/shack of a suspicious recluse etc One example was this one hiker who stumbled upon a location deep in the woods where he discovered dozens upon dozens of missing persons posters nailed onto the trees, a man-made wooden "cage" structure and a blanket with eaten canned food in the middle. I don't know if it is all real or not (Apparently it was claimed it was simply a Halloween type set up, although there is doubt to the contrary. Even if it was simply a party, using REAL missing persons posters is in extremely poor taste) but it is certainly an eerie and surprising discovery.

Running into a random dodgy person wouldn't be grand either :lol: :headshake: Murderer? Criminal? Stalker/Creeper? Crazy homeless person? Ghost? The Mystery Man in the forests of Switzerland who wears antique camo gear and gas mask? The discovery of a incestuous family who have been inbreeding with each other for 4 generations? Nah, I'm good. And while I also wouldn't want to run into a wild animal, I live in a rural area so seeing or dealing with a predator in particular wouldn't be as daunting.

Happy Halloween Everyone!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I can remember one time I was home alone for the weekend as a teen. I stupidly decided to watch "I know what you did last summer" as it was on TV. It's the one with the "killer fisherman" with a hook.
It was also storming that night as well.
So the movie is done, and I'm getting tired, so I turn off the TV just as lightning struck and, I swear I saw the shadow of the killer outside my window.... :rolleyes3: :doh: :eek2:. Obviously, he wasn't there, it was just the shadows from the trees and what not, but I was wide awake after that. At that time of night there really isn't anything on TV, so I distracted my mind from my creepy freak out by watching the shopping channel and mindless reruns.

Another story, that plays into both questions...although it was a prank I pulled on my friend....
We decided to take the boat across the lake from my mom's house to a small island, and pitch a tent and camp, just for the night. I had to get up in the middle of the night to pee, and upon my return, I could her my friend whispering to me, "Jem, what was that?" I don't know if she even realized I wasn't in the tent. So, being the wonderful friend that I was.....I started making growling noises. And all I could here was, "Jem, Jem.....wake up.......ah!........where are you?
I reached for the zipper and started to laugh....I couldn't help it anymore. She cursed me out a bit, but was laughing at the same time.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first bought this house and even now occasionally I had what I believe to be poltergeist activity. For example I went outside and then found that the wooden storm door has locked me out. Some how the little button that locks the door had been pushed up, locking when it closed. I have also had lights go on during the night and most annoying, my two bedroom clocks change the time themselves a few hours or hours and minutes, sometimes forward or backward which can only be done manually by pushing two buttons at the same time.

But the creepiest thing has been the pictures. Not long after I moved in I came home to an old framed photo of a little girl propped again my front door. None of my neighbors knew anything about it. A few years later a photo of an older woman also showed up in the yard.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A nest of any kind of thing. We have a ton of spider webs this fall. DH noticed the same thing. It feels like every time I’ve gone to water my mums I’ve had to get webs off me. Yuck! And then the other day we were having some kind of flying ant invasion/storm in the backyard. The ground looked like it was moving!! 😖

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Name something you wouldn’t want to run into in a dark forest or in an abandoned building?
A dead body.
I wasn't alone - my husband was right beside me, and my brother was in the next room. I never, ever stayed alone in the house my sister and her husband were renting in the Pocono Mountains! Nobody did. We were visiting, and hubby and I were sleeping on a sofa bed in the dining room, while my brother was sleeping on the couch in the living room. Somebody or something walked down the stairs - right past DH and me - then through the living room past my brother into the kitchen, where "it" proceeded to bang things around in the kitchen, e.g., slamming cabinet doors. We all heard, but couldn't see "it". My b-i-l and sister came downstairs, and we all went into the kitchen together, and whatever "it" was stopped.

We were far from the only ones who experienced things in that house. Even our dogs freaked out. The landlord admitted that tenants never stayed more than a few months. My Jewish b-i-l and Catholic sister had two exorcisms performed, to no avail, and also moved out. The rabbis and priests agreed the house was haunted.

The house was completely abandoned and derelict when my niece and b-i-l were in the area several years ago and checked it out.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't want to run into a wild animal, poisonous spider or snake, a murderer or kidnapper. Probably the creepiest thing was when my neighbor told me that he saw a bear at the exact spot that I turned around every day on my walk! I wonder if it had been watching me all week and decided to wait for me and have me for lunch? 😲🐻

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A tiger. There aren't any tigers in the south anymore, but there are always those myths that there's still one or two out there. They've even thought about reintroducing tigers to an environmental conservation area. All the stories you read about tigers are creepy, to be honest. Other big game predators (aside from bears maybe) tend to just stay away from humans. Bears will just come at you and usually not because they are hunting you, just because you've gone somewhere you don't belong.
Tigers? They stalk you. They can follow you for a long time before they eat you.

I also wouldn't want to meet a big orangutan or gorilla or baboon in the wild (if I went to places where they lived) I've seen regularish monkeys in the wild and it's been fine...but something about apes and baboons are just...too much

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I wouldn't want to run into a bear. I live in the middle of a huge forest and there are bears around here. I also go for a lot of walks through that huge forest on my own.

It's only a matter of time......

The creepiest thing that's ever happened to me: One night I was in my PJ's finishing off a bit of work on my computer when I heard some of my cats yowling outside.

(They are supposed to be enclosure only, but a couple of the bigger boys are ninjas and can get out no matter what I do.)

I went outside to call them and two boys rushed back in doors with their hackles up.

I closed the door and sat back down again, then heard more yowling. I grabbed a torch and walked down the lane, expecting to see one of them squaring up to a raccoon or something. When I called a third cat came galloping up to me, all wide eyed and bushy tailed. I was curious about what was upsetting them so I walked a bit further, shining my torch into the trees.

Was that a really fat deer....?

Nope, it was a wild boar!

:running:

The boar wasn't paying any attention to me or the cats, but I didn't want anyone to find my gored body in old PJ's and my hair in a messy bun.

:lol:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many years ago I am sure someone was outside the house, never heard or saw anything and it was at night. All of the sudden I had the overwhelming fear and I ran around checking to make sure all the windows were locked. I have read several times that we still have that deep instinct that we are in danger. That is the only time so far that I have felt that and I am sure there was someone up to no good right outside.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Was that a really fat deer....?

The boar wasn't paying any attention to me or the cats, but I didn't want anyone to find my gored body in old PJ's and my hair in a messy bun.

:lol:
Same here. Every year a few boars come into Seoul and absolutely wreak havoc, I can only imagine running into one on its home turf!
I always picture them to be like the boars in Princess Mononoke and that's enough to freak me right ou!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise

OR

In an abandoned building, I would be afraid of a serial killer who had a knife of some kind of weapon.

I wasn't alone but my boyfriend and I were sleeping, this happened in Ft. Lauderdale. It was beastly
hot and the a.c. wasn't working so we had the jalousie windows open, I thought I heard something and
I did...there were 2 guys looking in the window, I had no clothes on, grabbed the top sheet and yelled
"get the :censored: out of here!" They looked to be in their late teens. My yelling woke up my bf. I wanted to
call the police but he didn't think it was necessary. That has stayed with me... I don't like having downstairs
windows opened.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't really experienced any creepy moments in my life, at least alone. One time my family was visiting my grandparents in Florida and my siblings and I went to a nearby park with our dog. I was 14, my sister 11, my brother 7. My brother was collecting tennis balls for the dog that had been abandoned by the tennis courts and my sister and I were nearby. There was an older guy in the park and I said to my sister, "I'm getting creeped out by that guy. We should head back." My sister said, "I'm feeling the same thing." We didn't want to freak out our brother or draw attention to ourselves, so we did a roundabout way back to my grandparents' house. It was 20 years ago, but it has stuck with me because both my sister and I had picked up the same creepy vibe.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Same here. Every year a few boars come into Seoul and absolutely wreak havoc, I can only imagine running into one on its home turf!
I always picture them to be like the boars in Princess Mononoke and that's enough to freak me right ou!
I used to bow hunt wild pigs/boars..you never took a maybe shot..they wouldn't give you a second chance. Braver to run away most times..lol

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I always picture them to be like the boars in Princess Mononoke and that's enough to freak me right out!
I bet they'd create all kinds of chaos in a built up area. The ones I've seen here either totally ignore you or run away screaming, but you never know.

Did you know the Forest God, Shishigami, from Princess Mononoke was based on a real animal? It's called a Nihon Kamoshika.

I've seen them a few times.
I used to bow hunt wild pigs/boars..you never took a maybe shot..they wouldn't give you a second chance. Braver to run away most times..lol
Oh, poor little piggies! Yes, I can imagine they'd be quite terrifying if they were injured and angry.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I bet they'd create all kinds of chaos in a built up area. The ones I've seen here either totally ignore you or run away screaming, but you never know.

Did you know the Forest God, Shishigami, from Princess Mononoke was based on a real animal? It's called a Nihon Kamoshika.

I've seen them a few times.
Yeah they've been known to go into convenience stores and restaurants and just go ham (pun intended). There's been a swine flu outbreak though, so not as many boars this year as they are being culled.

Oh, I didn't know that! I assumed it was just based off of a deer!

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The creepiest thing that happened to me when I was alone was that music started playing from my computer and I didn't have a YouTube tab open.