Question of the Day - Tuesday, October 26

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greetings! 🎃 🎃 🎃

What is the spookiest/creepiest photo you have ever seen?

I've seen a few, so hard to fully narrow it down - One of the most unsettling ones was the picture of Regina Kay Walters taken by a serial killer before he ended her life. Or the photo of Omayra Sánchez Garzón.

As for a more paranormal aspect, I thought this was pretty eerie. A picture a parent took of their daughter at a play spot:

Whether it is authentic or not I will let you decide, but nevertheless, yikes of it is real!

cat-black-cat.gif

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm someone that's pretty into real crime and the likes. So I've seen some crimescene pictures, corpses, mutilations and the likes. I did my final secondary school final project on the human experiments conducted during WWII, so that contained a lot of gruesome pictures as well. No one particular jumps out at me.
Also pictures of some wounds can be pretty creepy I guess. We had a small project on leprosy, and that did kinda creep me out I guess.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Working in law enforcement for over 25 years, I've seen some gruesome photos but I am jaded and I'm not freaked out by much now. Dead bodies, dismembered bodies, autopsy photos, morgue photos, head shot suicide photos, etc. Doesn't bother me in the least. :lol:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think most, if not all, of the "face where a face shouldn't be" pics are cases of pareidolia. Wadded-up clothes, some item at a weird angle, shadows, heat shimmer not visible in person but shows up in the pic, etc. There are some REALLY weird ones out there though, that's for sure.

I don't know if it's the creepiest, but you know that well-known picture where the Viet Cong guy is being shot in the head? Creepy enough on it's own, I suppose, but I saw the video that came from and that's super creepy. I'm sure watching someone die violently is always going to be rather disturbing, but I try not to fill my brain with that stuff so that's one of the few things like that I have floating around in there.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't get into creepy; but in high school someone sent my mom a very old photograph from a relative's wedding. One of the groomsmen (unnamed) looked EXACTLY like this guy from another school had been part of our prom group a couple weeks before. Even the haircut was right!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't really think of the creepiest photo I've ever seen as I have seen quite a few.
This one is definitely not the creepiest, but it is personal...
I have several wedding photos with an orb floating next to me. And I can't see it being a trick of the light because of where the photos were taken and that there are more than one. I don't think it's "creepy" per se, but I do wonder who it might have been in the photo with me.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My ex cooking dinner..lol.only kidding.
A freind of mine took a picture couple of months ago from a beach over looking a pier with an angry sea and angry stormy sky..its a excellent picture but every one who looks at it makes them uncomfortable, vunerable and uneasy, shows the photographers skill but man its hard to look at.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can see photos of all sorts of gruesome stuff but for some reason the old Victorian family portraits always creep me out. Something very unsettling about the way they all stare without smiling, haha.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Greetings! 🎃 🎃 🎃

What is the spookiest/creepiest photo you have ever seen?

I've seen a few, so hard to fully narrow it down - One of the most unsettling ones was the picture of Regina Kay Walters taken by a serial killer before he ended her life. Or the photo of Omayra Sánchez Garzón.

As for a more paranormal aspect, I thought this was pretty eerie. A picture a parent took of their daughter at a play spot:

Whether it is authentic or not I will let you decide, but nevertheless, yikes of it is real!

View attachment 399743
these photos sent chills down my spine.
And I cannot seem to unsee it. :(

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I can see photos of all sorts of gruesome stuff but for some reason the old Victorian family portraits always creep me out. Something very unsettling about the way they all stare without smiling, haha.
And also "portrait" photos of those folks AFTER they died. Have you seen one of those? Their eyes are still open! So creepy!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
The end scene of Paranormal Activity I when Katie looks into the camera...I can't look at again...freaks me out too much

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Post mortem photos from years ago when families would pose with the deceased or the deceased would be by themselves. Photos back then were uncommon so many times it was the only photo the family had of the person.

1635354472878.png

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been watching a bunch of YouTube videos and this one channel I watch has a series about creepy back stories of pictures, so there are quite a few that have been pretty creepy.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always gotten the willies from pictures of the shroud of Turin. The classic "surgeon's photo" of the Loch Ness monster (wasn't it just a toy submarine with some modelling clay stuck on the top?) and the Solway Firth spaceman - even though it's just the girl's mother with her back turned to the camera - also give me the creeps.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
This well known shot gives me the willies as I've been at sea in big storms and it's very scary. From what I can find out, the lighthouse keeper heard the helicopter and thought it was a rescue, but it was the media capturing the dangerous situation.. I'm sure the keeper is glad he just looked out briefly and got back inside.
1635653878835.png

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Post mortem photos from years ago when families would pose with the deceased or the deceased would be by themselves. Photos back then were uncommon so many times it was the only photo the family had of the person.

View attachment 399826
That is so morbid. How could people do that?

I loved John Lennon. When he was murdered The National Enquirer had a picture on their cover of him in his coffin. I was standing in line at the grocery store when I saw the picture and I was horrified. Only the Enquirer could stoop so low to sell their trash.

They did the same thing when Elvis died. Recently on You Tube they had a picture of Tiny Tim in his coffin. It gives me the creeps every time I see the video posted on their site.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
That is so morbid. How could people do that?

I loved John Lennon. When he was murdered The National Enquirer had a picture on their cover of him in his coffin. I was standing in line at the grocery store when I saw the picture and I was horrified. Only the Enquirer could stoop so low to sell their trash.

They did the same thing when Elvis died. Recently on You Tube they had a picture of Tiny Tim in his coffin. It gives me the creeps every time I see the video posted on their site.
Very few people owned cameras in the 19th Century. Especially with young children, this may have been their only chance to have a photo or image of their child. Photographers often came to your house to do this, so you wouldn't have to carry a corpse to their studio. It does seem creepy to us, but we're so used to photographing our loved ones in life.

I used to collect 19th Century photographs, and also collected these.