Question of the Day - Tuesday, October 22

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Everyone! Pardon the tardyness of my post, had a busy day of adulting!

I actually got this idea for a Q from watching a couple of youtube videos, about the strangest, creepiest or craziest things found hidden in people's homes (Creepy hidden secret rooms under floorboards, behind walls or inside closets, tapes with Dark Web style images or footage in them, dolls, underground tunnels, Wells, Hidden rooms with people formally or actually still secretly hiding and living in them, duffel bags found in crawl spaces or attics that had knives in them aka "Serial Killer Kits", bomb shelters, bodies of previous owners and so forth)

So in honour of Halloween season......

(And theoretically speaking of course)

What secret discovery in your own home would creep you out the most?

For me, honestly, I would not like the idea of finding a hidden secret room in my house :headshake: especially something dingy looking with previous dodgy looking activities. Definitely don't mean something "cute" like a secret man cave or she-shed or intriguing like historical related. That would creep me out! Although the added bonus of a human living in a hidden room somewhere in my home, sneaking out in occasion to get food and toilet necessities....nope just nope! Or even if it happened in the past, nope nope nope.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Finding a body buried under the floor boards.

No, listen! Our house is really old and subsiding in one corner. The floor is really creaky and in one place it feels like you could put your foot right through the floorboards. (Yep, I've covered that with something so I don't step there) Plus my house is right next to Aokigahara, the Suicide Forest. What if someone decided to dispose of a body by taking it to the Suicide Forest and then burying it on a construction site when they were building our house? And now that body has decomposed so much it's no longer holding up the floor? Could that be why the floorboards are so creaky?

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Finding a body buried under the floor boards.

No, listen! Our house is really old and subsiding in one corner. The floor is really creaky and in one place it feels like you could put your foot right through the floorboards. (Yep, I've covered that with something so I don't step there) Plus my house is right next to Aokigahara, the Suicide Forest. What if someone decided to dispose of a body by taking it to the Suicide Forest and then burying it on a construction site when they were building our house? And now that body has decomposed so much it's no longer holding up the floor? Could that be why the floorboards are so creaky?
That would make for a nice, scary, horror movie!! :clap:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely a body under the floorboards. When I was a kid we moved into a old house and on the staircase the plaster had been patched up, I kid you not it was in the shape of a person head and full stick man as you went upstairs. Even when it was covered over it still scared me:help:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poisonous snakes or spiders hiding somewhere in the house. Or a secret hole in the house where a coyote could get in and hurt me or the cats.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
This is one of my former coworkers story, but a good one. They had lived in their house on the limestone bluffs near the river for many years. In the basement most of the floor was concrete but there was a good sized section by the water meter that was wood. They always assumed that a some point when the meter was put in the floor has been torn out and just patched with wood. But over time the wood was rotting and they decided to replace it. When they pulled it up to their surprise what was underneath was a very long set of steps leading downward.

Lanterns in hand they descended and found a maze of rooms. A couple of large ones and quite a few small ones with enough left behind like bottles and bed springs to realize that their home had at one point been the entrance or emergency exit of a prohibition era speakeasy and brothel, available from the river or their home.

As far as my own horror or horrifying story, it had to be the great carpenter ant invasion. I had just remodeled my kitchen and I started seeing little ants and an occasional big ant. After going through bottles of ant poison I finally called an exterminator who told me they were carpenter ant coming from my basement. No big deal, he would spray and within a few weeks they would be gone.

So I come home after a day and go down to check and from one end of my basement to the other the floor is completely black with writhing, dying ants. Apparently they had enormous nests in my wall paneling and now there were thousands and thousands of them crawling out to die. It was like a science fiction movie. They were so huge that if you stepped on them they made popping noises like Rice Krispies. For the next six weeks I wore boots when I went down there and had to sweep in front of me whenever I went to do laundry. And the cats were as grossed out as I was and refused to even touch the floor so I had to build them raised walkways to get to their litterbox.

The summer after the great ant invasion I dressed up in full hazmat wear and goggles and tore down the paneling. Fortunately nothing remained alive back there but I was scared something was going to crawl on me I kept getting dizzy because I would hold my breath without realizing it.

Last edited:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been casually looking for a house and anytime I find a house that has one of those little doors in one of the upstairs rooms, it always has me hesitant to like it. There is something about those little doors that is kind of terrifying because I imagine like ghosts or secret horrors associated with them.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been casually looking for a house and anytime I find a house that has one of those little doors in one of the upstairs rooms, it always has me hesitant to like it. There is something about those little doors that is kind of terrifying because I imagine like ghosts or secret horrors associated with them.
I wish you had not said that. I have one those little doors in my bedroom and now I wonder what is behind it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lanterns in hand they descended and found a maze of rooms. A couple of large ones and quite a few small ones with enough left behind like bottles and bed springs to realize that their home had at one point been the entrance or emergency exit of a prohibition era speakeasy and brothel, available from the river or their home
I would LOVE to find that kind of thing! I used to read kids' books that talked about finding an old hidden room that was used for the Underground Railroad or whatever, and then I'd go and measure every room and the basement inside and out to see if it matched. . .sadly, it always did.

I guess the only thing that would really bother me would be to find a structural defect that insurance wouldn't cover, lol. The existential horror of severe financial difficulty!

Or, obviously, a rapist/murderer living inside the house (although I'm pretty sure the dogs would notice). I wouldn't even mind too much if there was a person living inside secretly but that person wasn't a rapist or murderer.

I think I could deal with finding anything else. Finding dead things is unpleasant but not a deal-breaker for me. I wouldn't want to find any sort of infestation but that can usually be taken care of. I'm not too squeamish.