Question of the Day - Tuesday, October 20

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As typical as an answer as it may be, Aokigahara Forest, Japan. Or also known as "Suicide Forest". I find it both very eerie and intriguing, but also empathetically tragic. I'm sure it is a beautiful location too beyond the notoriety.
I believe Norachan Norachan actually lives very near there. :fear:

Warning rubysmama rubysmama contains mention of the S word
I have a friend who lives in Queensland, Oz. She lives in a remote area and
they have s------ that are so big they can touch every inch of a storm door frame.
That could win for scariest place for me. :running: Although I'd love to live somewhere that was warm all the time, the cold and snow does keep the creepy crawlers somewhat under control, and mostly out of sight for several months of the year.

Mind you driving down a hill that is totally covered in ice, even with winter tires on, is pretty scary too.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the Falls and it's something I really miss during the pandemic. There's this one place on the American side when you can sit and watch the water drop over. I could spend hours there, and I have, just watching the water. It's almost mesmerizing. We go up to Niagara-on-the-Lake to stay at a B & B, and walk around there, visit the wineries, and then hit the Falls. And have dinner at the Olde Angel Inn, which is said to be haunted. I know that Rick does get exasperated with me because I just sit there and watch the water. We had talked about going up for a long weekend back in February, just around the time all the virus stuff started. I miss visiting; it's been a while.

I can't handle any place that's dark as I'm almost deathly afraid of the dark. Too many things happened to me as a child in the dark and I have a bad phobia. When Rick and I first got married, we lived in a mobile home. And as we were walking back the hallway to go to bed one night, Rick tried to be scary. I dropped down in a heap in a dead faint. When I came to, all I could hear was Rick: Pam! Pam! OMG! Pam! Are you OK? Pam! He's never done that since. And even now, sometimes he'll wake up and the hall light will be turned on. In the morning, he'll say, "Bad night?" I'll say "Yes" and that's that. He gets it. Thankfully, it doesn't happen very often anymore.
You can do that on Goat Island, which separates the American and Horseshoe (Canadian) Falls; specifically at Terrapin Point.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Warning rubysmama rubysmama contains mention of the S word
I have a friend who lives in Queensland, Oz. She lives in a remote area and
they have s------ that are so big they can touch every inch of a storm door frame.
If a storm door is the same size as an ordinary door frame (we don't have storm doors over here and I had to google it), I think she might be having a lend of you Mia6 Mia6 ;)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I believe Norachan Norachan Norachan Norachan actually lives very near there. :fear:
Yes, I do and I regularly go for long hikes through it. It is a little strange looking in there, because the trees are all growing over the top of the lava flow. The soil is only about 15 to 20 cm deep, so the roots are all twisted and grow on the surface of the forest floor, rather than down into the ground

Walks204_R.jpg
Walks205_R.jpg
Walks281_R.JPG

The lava flow has lots of fissures and cracks in it too.
Walks283_R.JPG

It's a beautiful, tranquil place, not scary at all. Although I did once find a skull.
Walks305_R.jpg

I think The Isle of Dolls would be far creepier.

The Island of the Dolls - Wikipedia

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The creepiest place for me is the Homicide Cage here at work. I get very paranoid when I have to go in there. I am afraid one of the spirits will slam the door and lock me inside. :oops:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Niagara Falls- either the Canadian or American side.
I have like a billion phobias, but Niagara Falls doesn't scare me. I went on the Maid of the Mist boat ride, it was fun.
Dentists don't scare me at all either, only the insane prices scare me.

The scariest place on earth is wherever my mother is. Just living with her is scary though, I could handle a once a month family dinner if I had to.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They have both at the Falls. The cavern is called the Cave of the Winds, on the American side. The boat, on both sides, is the Maid of the Mist, and goes almost directly under the falling water; close enough that rain gear is a must.
I remember watching the boat and wanting to go but for some reason we didn’t.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
If a storm door is the same size as an ordinary door frame (we don't have storm doors over here and I had to google it), I think she might be having a lend of you Mia6 Mia6 ;)
Do you mean that she didn't tell the truth?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
DON'T LOOK AT THIS IF YOU DON'T LIKE S*****S!
The spoiler didn't work for the article. :(

Do you mean that she didn't tell the truth?
Maybe a bit of an exaggeration if she means it was the width of a door.
But when you come across the big ones up here, they do look huge. This is one that went viral but part of it is the way the photo was taken.. it's no more than 15cm across.. and that's plenty big enough for me!!! We used to get them that size in Tasmania to. They're pretty harmless but utterly freaky.

Last edited:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe a bit of an exaggeration if she means it was the width of a door.
But when you come across the big ones up here, they do look huge. This is one that went viral but part of it is the way the photo was taken.. it's no more than 15cm across.. and that's plenty big enough for me!!! We used to get them that size in Tasmania to. They're pretty harmless but utterly freaky.
I can't look or read but, yeah, very freaky. So my answer should be the one you posted, ha!!

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to Sachsenhausen camp in Berlin and would say that any concentration/prisoner of war camp falls along this description. They're so quiet now, but you can't even begin to imagine what atrocities went on there when they were actively used.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dont know whether you would call this creepiest place or creepiest situation but we were doing one of our desert motorcycle trips on the edge of the Simpson Desert and stopped and setup camp.
Woke up in the middle of the night to go pee and stepped out of the tent and it had clouded over during the night and the darkness was total.
And the silence was absolute and you could only hear your own heartbeat. No wind or breeze just totally still.
The feeling was a building panic. I relit the campfire using a tiny little torch to find twigs and wood and soon there was 4 of us sitting around the fire waiting for the sun to rise.
It creeped us all out.
Can see why people who get lost in the desert come out slightly nuts.

Last edited: