Question of the Day - Tuesday, October 20

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greetings! Happy Tuesday 🎃

Where do you think is the creepiest/scariest place on earth?

As typical as an answer as it may be, Aokigahara Forest, Japan. Or also known as "Suicide Forest". I find it both very eerie and intriguing, but also empathetically tragic. I'm sure it is a beautiful location too beyond the notoriety.

Other places that come to mind:
- Scotland Overtoun Bridge (Where dogs leap to their death)
- Snake Island, Brazil (HARD NO)
- Leap Castle

I definitely have others but those popped into my head first. How about you guys?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Basically any underwater/cave diving site. No chance in Lucifer's domain would I ever attempt anything like that.
I have seen documentaries, and they are awesome and beautiful, but I'll stick to seeing that kind of stuff on TV.

Also the Island of the Dolls in Mexico is just creepy as all get out.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apart from my dentist chair I would say deep underground, how people enjoy pot holing I will never understand, dark narrow spaces...no thanks.
My husband loves to go on old abandoned mine tours when we go on vacation. I am always thankful to see light again when we get to the surface.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Niagara Falls- either the Canadian or American side. No one really knows how many people have leaped to their death there. If you stand at the brink, watching the water go over seemingly so smoothly, it has an almost hypnotic effect on some, drawing them on to doom.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Niagara Falls- either the Canadian or American side. No one really knows how many people have leaped to their death there. If you stand at the brink, watching the water go over seemingly so smoothly, it has an almost hypnotic effect on some, drawing them on to doom.
I've been there many times and can confirm that there is something so mesmerizing about the way the water moves. I don't like staring at it for too long and whenever I go, I don't think about how beautiful it is, I think, "Gee, I hope I don't fall in." So not really a fun place to visit anymore.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a real fascination with Niagara Falls and have been there many times. There is one place on the Canadian side that always made me want to jump into the falls.

I think spending the night at a house where a murder had taken place would be creepy. Like the Lizzie Borden house.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a real fascination with Niagara Falls and have been there many times. There is one place on the Canadian side that always made me want to jump into the falls.

I think spending the night at a house where a murder had taken place would be creepy. Like the Lizzie Borden house.
I live within 30 miles of the Falls, so I have been there a number of times as well.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been there many times and can confirm that there is something so mesmerizing about the way the water moves. I don't like staring at it for too long and whenever I go, I don't think about how beautiful it is, I think, "Gee, I hope I don't fall in." So not really a fun place to visit anymore.
I've been there, at the least the Canadian side, and never got close enough to the edge to worry about falling in. It's too scary to even think about.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was 9 or 10 I think when we went to Niagara Falls. My stepbrothers and I were very fascinated with the stories of people who survived going over. I remember standing up stream watching the water move and thinking how far it was going to fall soon. Someday I need to take my kids.

As a kid I also got to go on a cavern tour. We rode an elevator down and there was even a boat ride. The ride ended at the top of a waterfall at an unlit opening in the rock. The tour guide said if you tossed a rock or penny over you wouldn’t hear it hit the bottom. No thank you!

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
any cavern .. im scared to death to go into them .. scared i might slip and fall into the cold water that is in them

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was 9 or 10 I think when we went to Niagara Falls. My stepbrothers and I were very fascinated with the stories of people who survived going over. I remember standing up stream watching the water move and thinking how far it was going to fall soon. Someday I need to take my kids.

As a kid I also got to go on a cavern tour. We rode an elevator down and there was even a boat ride. The ride ended at the top of a waterfall at an unlit opening in the rock. The tour guide said if you tossed a rock or penny over you wouldn’t hear it hit the bottom. No thank you!
They have both at the Falls. The cavern is called the Cave of the Winds, on the American side. The boat, on both sides, is the Maid of the Mist, and goes almost directly under the falling water; close enough that rain gear is a must.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I couldn't agree more about the dentist's chair!But...there was a house we lived in when I was maybe 3 or 4 and I will never forgetit as long as I live.It was in a little town upstate called Gansvoort...don't know if it even exists any longer...but my Mom,me and my sister would all swear that place was haunted!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Apart from my dentist chair
I stopped reading when I got to the "dentist chair" especially since I have an appointment tomorrow morning - now I will be up thinking about it all night. 😉

There are several haunted cemeteries here but one in particular with historic significance. We visited once in the daytime but would never go there after dark.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Warning rubysmama rubysmama contains mention of the S word
I have a friend who lives in Queensland, Oz. She lives in a remote area and
they have s------ that are so big they can touch every inch of a storm door frame.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I love the Falls and it's something I really miss during the pandemic. There's this one place on the American side when you can sit and watch the water drop over. I could spend hours there, and I have, just watching the water. It's almost mesmerizing. We go up to Niagara-on-the-Lake to stay at a B & B, and walk around there, visit the wineries, and then hit the Falls. And have dinner at the Olde Angel Inn, which is said to be haunted. I know that Rick does get exasperated with me because I just sit there and watch the water. We had talked about going up for a long weekend back in February, just around the time all the virus stuff started. I miss visiting; it's been a while.

I can't handle any place that's dark as I'm almost deathly afraid of the dark. Too many things happened to me as a child in the dark and I have a bad phobia. When Rick and I first got married, we lived in a mobile home. And as we were walking back the hallway to go to bed one night, Rick tried to be scary. I dropped down in a heap in a dead faint. When I came to, all I could hear was Rick: Pam! Pam! OMG! Pam! Are you OK? Pam! He's never done that since. And even now, sometimes he'll wake up and the hall light will be turned on. In the morning, he'll say, "Bad night?" I'll say "Yes" and that's that. He gets it. Thankfully, it doesn't happen very often anymore.