Question Of The Day - Tuesday, October 1

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greetings! Happy first day of October!

You know what that means :biggrin:

Alright time to get to business:

What commercial convinced you NOT to buy the product they are pushing?

It was the old beer commercials for me; for example, Cors Light and Stella Artois. Cors used to have these fairly archaic commercials of stupid unattractive man-children being surrounded by scantily clad out of their league beautiful women who are paid to pretend they enjoy their company. Other versions with same man-child ignoring girlfriends or jobs. Stella used to have this series of commercials where they would show a lovely woman alongside an elegant class of their brew with the caption "She is a thing of beauty" I dunno, it always rubbed me the wrong way and made me very uncomfortable - as if a woman was an object and the same equivalent of a glass of beer. And being beautiful was her main value. They weren't the only brands or alcoholic beverages (Budweiser, Captain Morgan etc) that did this of course, some waaaay worse especially historically, but the ones mentioned prior popped into my head first. I honestly still haven't purchased their brands even if they have improved some of their commercials since.

Which is fine since I have other personal favourites so don't feel like I am missing out :lol:hardly noticed.

Thankfully it has gotten better a tad overall, as they finally market to consumer women who also happen to equally enjoy a drink. Not perfect at times but still better here and there; a bigger topic for a another time and place at any rate.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
UCHealth, for putting up a TV ad that is thoughtless, disrespectful and stupid, all in a blind and incredibly misguided effort to wow the viewer. I wouldn't go there anyway because they'll sew you up and rip open your wallet, but this ad really cemented my opinion.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's a commercial for a fabric softener or something. It shows a woman in various settings. In one setting she is smelling her clothing and gyrating, in another one she is walking along like she's the most fanstic person on the entire planet. :noway: And finally, she's drinking from a water fountain while another person smells her sweater.:gaah: This commercial is so dumb I not sure exactly what they're selling.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's a commercial for a fabric softener or something. It shows a woman in various settings. In one setting she is smelling her clothing and gyrating, in another one she is walking along like she's the most fanstic person on the entire planet. :noway: And finally, she's drinking from a water fountain while another person smells her sweater.:gaah: This commercial is so dumb I not sure exactly what they're selling.
It's advertising the end of personal space and how easy it is to get an assault charge. :lol:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I've ever been offended by a commercial so much that I would never buy the product. If it's a product I need, I will buy it. If it's a product I currently use and like, I will continue to use it. Lots of commercials bug me, but it's just because I can see thru the marketing and gimmicks. Especially those who use current day issues and politics to promote their product. By the same token, I have never really been swayed into buying a product because of advertising either.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I've ever been offended by a commercial so much that I would never buy the product. If it's a product I need, I will buy it. If it's a product I currently use and like, I will continue to use it. Lots of commercials bug me, but it's just because I can see thru the marketing and gimmicks. Especially those who use current day issues and politics to promote their product. By the same token, I have never really been swayed into buying a product because of advertising either.
Me too.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I stopped eating Hardee's whenever I realized how sexist their ads were/are(?). I miss their giant hamburgers too...they were tasty!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't watch much regular TV so I don't see a lot of ads anymore. I'm not sure I would make buying decisions based on any ad, for or against.

I never have eaten at Hardee's, but, yeah, their commercials were (are?) pretty bad.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UCHealth, for putting up a TV ad that is thoughtless, disrespectful and stupid, all in a blind and incredibly misguided effort to wow the viewer. I wouldn't go there anyway because they'll sew you up and rip open your wallet, but this ad really cemented my opinion.
Which one? I tried to look it up to see what you're talking about but they have a lot of commercials.

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Greetings! Happy first day of October!

You know what that means :D
Yes, it means Oktoberfest!!! LOL... guess that makes me a man-child. :confused:

I don't watch much regular TV so I don't see a lot of ads anymore.
Same here, but I can still recall certain ads where the volume was dialed up to annoying levels, the actors screaming at each other and whatnot... thank goodness for remote control. Also, the annoying ads for Preparation H and other products related to medical issues... did I really have to hear these at dinnertime? Nothing like hearing about hemorrhoids the size of golf balls to ruin one's appetite back in the day, LOL. :eek:

Of course, after years of long-haul trucking, nothing fazes me anymore... I quit watching modern programming some time ago, so TV ads are a thing of the past for me. Same goes for the "news"---nothing but globalist propaganda which should be entirely ignored. In the last few years of my actually watching the news, I told myself that I only did it to watch the sports & weather, but I finally gave up on it, there are now websites for that sort of thing. Some of the websites are as bad as the old TV programming when it comes to propaganda... but as adults we all make choices, LOL. :rolleyes:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Which one?
It's the Live Extraordinary / Taking Off with Tonya Trostel. I'm not commenting about Ms. Trostel's situation, just the ad itself. They could have chosen any number of other ways to celebrate strength and empowerment without leaving me to have to explain to kids and grandkids that no, just because you saw it on television doesn't mean it's ok to throw your trash on the side of the road. :sigh:

For what it's worth, UCHealth upper management told me they picked up all of the various things and articles of clothing that were discarded. Not my point, but whatever, I guess.

To the original question of the thread, more or less, it seems like the advertisements for vehicles have gotten so much like "short-story telling" that I don't remember the car they're trying to sell :lol: and some of the insurance commercials are just dumb LOL

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven’t had tv in so long I can’t think of one off the top of my head. I’ve seen some pretty dumb ones. Feminine products are never going to make me: :woohoo:. Or do a kickboxing moves in a white leotard. It was clearly aimed at much younger women.:rolleyes3: (I do actually like the product. :lol:)

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with Jem. If I need or want the product I will buy it regardless of how bad or stupid the commercials are. If I don't want or need the product I won't buy it because of the commercials. I take all commercials with a grain of salt. I don't believe any of the "testimonials".

I don't understand why companies think that screaming at me will make want to buy something.

Sometimes I will try a new product I see advertised if I think it might be something good.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't watch a ton of TV so I can't comment too much on one specific commercial. The only way I would refuse to buy a product is if they used something really bad (animal abuse, domestic violence, or child/elder abuse) and tried to make it "funny" for their commercial in order to sell their product.
It doesn't stop me from buying things, but it's always funny to me when a commercial makes it out that if you buy their product, your life will immediately change for the better. Drink a sports drink, you're suddenly 30 years younger, muscular, a star ball player, etc. Drive a certain car, suddenly your kids and dog are well behaved traveling companions instead of the dog barking his head off at joggers, and the kids bickering in the back seat. Eat a certain brand of food and suddenly all your health problems disappear and you magically lose that last 20 pounds. Wear a certain kind of socks and you're suddenly a yoga or martial arts expert, etc. etc. etc.
Marketing is kind of funny, really, when you think about it.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I would't buy a product if the tv commercial was too cheesy. I would buy Teddy Grahams because they aired a commercial with a mixed race couple, a couple with lots of ink, a gay couple and their child, etc. Saying our product is for everyone.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Jem. If I need or want the product I will buy it regardless of how bad or stupid the commercials are. If I don't want or need the product I won't buy it because of the commercials. I take all commercials with a grain of salt. I don't believe any of the "testimonials".

I don't understand why companies think that screaming at me will make want to buy something.

Sometimes I will try a new product I see advertised if I think it might be something good.
I totally agree with you. If I already use and like the product then I will but it weather I like the commercial or not.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
All the drug commercials annoy the heck out of me. The advertising drives up drug costs, it sends people to doctors requesting certain expensive wonder medications and usually there is a list of horrid side effects like cancer, kidney failure etc that at the end that makes me wonder who would risk these meds.