Question Of The Day - Tuesday, November 6

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Everyone! Happy to the first Tuesday of November!

So I recently discovered the existence of this site:

Housecreep | Where walls talk: Murder houses, grow ops, sketchy apartments, haunted houses, and other stigmatized properties exposed.

It's where you can look up your address or surrounding addresses, or simply look around in your home city and province/state as a whole, to see if someone died in that respective location. Murders, Suicide, Suspicious deaths, Natural Deaths and any sort of stigmatized activity like meth labs and the like.

The site is still growing substantially!

Anyway! The point of all this is.....

Would you want to know if someone died in your current home? Would you want to know before moving into a new home? If your home has a past and you already know, how do you feel about it?

I live in a house that is around 160+ years old. I know people passed away in it; all from illnesses and old age. At least one child and some adults. They were all part of the family lineage and history of the previous owners and local family neighbors. Their small cemetery is on my property, ranging from the 1840's to 1950's.

It doesn't bother me because it appeared to have been a very happy home for generations, creating a positive atmosphere. I don't feel creeped out thankfully. All natural deaths, no murder suicides or abuses or anything.

When buying or renting a new place I would want to know ahead of time and would depend on the type of deaths (I know laws regarding disclosure vary in different countries, states, provinces, which is a whole other topic) Again a natural passing wouldn't be a problem, but suicides or murders is a tad more considerable. Weigh my options, price difference, how long ago it all happened, the result of the case, the history and safety of the area, renovations done etc etc I admit I am pretty spiritual so I would take that into account...but otherwise remember that a building is nothing more than wood and brick and can have a revived and normal life.

I think my limit would be if a straight up serial killer lived in a place and did disturbing deeds and body hiding in the home. Or a place where Satanic Cults fulfilled their activities. I wouldn't buy that! Nope nope nope. Even if the old home was torn down and a new one built (Like John Wayne Gacy's old lot) I still would be apprehensive o_O Call me a flighty wuss but oh well! Not only eerie, but also very sad for the loss of those lives.

Altogether sentiments can really vary. When the question and concept was chatted about on my local radio station everyone varied from being totally creeped out to being entirely fine.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd want to know. I agree that a peaceful passing wouldn't bother me, but something more violent could sway my opinion about living somewhere.

My house is only 80 years old and my parents are the second owners. My guess is the prior owners passed away in the home only but I don't know for sure. The timing would be right for someone to have bought the home when it was built and died there. The woman across the street just passed away in her home last week. It doesn't creep me out about the house any because it was quick and peaceful.

When it comes down to it, there are very few places where someone hasn't passed away. Even if it wasn't in the building, within a half mile or anywhere there was probably a death. Everything and everyone will die eventually. It's just the really bad deaths, serial killers and such that would give the place a bad energy, for lack of a better term, that I would want to avoid.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually lived in an apartment where someone died. His body wasn't discovered for some time, so the odor of decomposition permeated the apartment. Other than that, it didn't bother me.

I don't think I would want to know. It's spooky to think about it, but not so scary in reality. As Keika said, someone has probably died close by everywhere.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meh. It wouldn't bother me at all. If you don't like it, sell it to me cheap! Of course if there was a decomposing body, I'd want to make sure they properly disinfected and deodorized the place, but other than that I don't have an issue with it.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In Arizona, if you are selling your house, you must disclose this on the realty form. It is law. So anyone buying a home in AZ already knows this stuff.
However, it wouldn't bother me as I don't believe in ghosts or demons.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It wouldn't bother me to know. My house was new when I bought it; but it had been finished for about 8 months before we bought it. So there is still a possibility something happened here. Or at the previous residences on the property. I was told there used to be a single-wide trailer here that my neighbor's family lived in at one point.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before we moved into our house an elderly woman lived here and the house was sold after she died. It's never bothered us much; and is not what keeps me up at night. I would like to know though beforehand (as Kieka said - incase the previous resident was the victim of a more violent form of death) and my mother was apparently notified that the elderly lady had passed away by the estate agents when she was buying the house.
My house was built in 1910 so it's pretty old though for 60 years it was the family home of, coincidentally, my mother's friend, who now lives in Italy.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In Arizona, if you are selling your house, you must disclose this on the realty form. It is law. So anyone buying a home in AZ already knows this stuff.
However, it wouldn't bother me as I don't believe in ghosts or demons.
Actually, no, there's a specific law saying that you do NOT have to disclose that information in Arizona.
32-2156 - Real estate sales and leases; disclosure

That piqued my interest so I looked it up for everybody. Apparently only California, Alaska, and South Dakota require disclosure about a violent death on the property. And in CA it's only if it happened in the last 3 years, in AK and SD only in the last year. So that barely counts.

But, if a buyer asks, the seller has to tell the truth. So I guess it's up to the buyer to ask if it would bother them. Or look it up online ;).

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, no, there's a specific law saying that you do NOT have to disclose that information in Arizona.
32-2156 - Real estate sales and leases; disclosure

That piqued my interest so I looked it up for everybody. Apparently only California, Alaska, and South Dakota require disclosure about a violent death on the property. And in CA it's only if it happened in the last 3 years, in AK and SD only in the last year. So that barely counts.

But, if a buyer asks, the seller has to tell the truth. So I guess it's up to the buyer to ask if it would bother them. Or look it up online ;).
I know when we sold our house in the valley we were told that we must disclose this by law. When we bought the house up here we were told that if there had been, then the realtors would know and had to disclose this per law.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh, maybe it's a super recent new law.

I just sold a house, and I don't think the paperwork even asked about that. Or maybe it did and I just glossed right over it because it didn't apply. Or maybe they figure you're going to mention it to the realtor.

Apparently that kind of website is a popular trend! I found a few others while poking around.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Everyone! Happy to the first Tuesday of November!

So I recently discovered the existence of this site:

Housecreep | Where walls talk: Murder houses, grow ops, sketchy apartments, haunted houses, and other stigmatized properties exposed.

It's where you can look up your address or surrounding addresses, or simply look around in your home city and province/state as a whole, to see if someone died in that respective location. Murders, Suicide, Suspicious deaths, Natural Deaths and any sort of stigmatized activity like meth labs and the like.

The site is still growing substantially!

Anyway! The point of all this is.....

Would you want to know if someone died in your current home? Would you want to know before moving into a new home? If your home has a past and you already know, how do you feel about it?

I live in a house that is around 160+ years old. I know people passed away in it; all from illnesses and old age. At least one child and some adults. They were all part of the family lineage and history of the previous owners and local family neighbors. Their small cemetery is on my property, ranging from the 1840's to 1950's.

It doesn't bother me because it appeared to have been a very happy home for generations, creating a positive atmosphere. I don't feel creeped out thankfully. All natural deaths, no murder suicides or abuses or anything.

When buying or renting a new place I would want to know ahead of time and would depend on the type of deaths (I know laws regarding disclosure vary in different countries, states, provinces, which is a whole other topic) Again a natural passing wouldn't be a problem, but suicides or murders is a tad more considerable. Weigh my options, price difference, how long ago it all happened, the result of the case, the history and safety of the area, renovations done etc etc I admit I am pretty spiritual so I would take that into account...but otherwise remember that a building is nothing more than wood and brick and can have a revived and normal life.

I think my limit would be if a straight up serial killer lived in a place and did disturbing deeds and body hiding in the home. Or a place where Satanic Cults fulfilled their activities. I wouldn't buy that! Nope nope nope. Even if the old home was torn down and a new one built (Like John Wayne Gacy's old lot) I still would be apprehensive o_O Call me a flighty wuss but oh well! Not only eerie, but also very sad for the loss of those lives.

Altogether sentiments can really vary. When the question and concept was chatted about on my local radio station everyone varied from being totally creeped out to being entirely fine.
I put in my address on this site and it said no results and the map took me somewhere not near me.
They must have the UPS map that says my address is void.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I sure don't want to live anywhere that's haunted with ghosts or demons in it! And I don't want a house that smells like decomp.
But most houses have probably had somebody die in them. As long as there is no smell or germs.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In my area all the homes are from the late 1800's. It's just assumed someone has died in these houses. We were a town that saw some action in the Revolutionary War as well. So- it's a bit of a given. It's almost a passion in my town to trace the previous home-owners history back to that time period.

All we can hope for is long lives and well-lived lives. I've always kind of wanted to find a secret box of old photos in the walls of seriously posed families- ever notice how old family photos have people with such serious expressions- but I never have.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love old homes, but I get easily freaked out by stuff, so the idea that it could be haunted would make me very uncomfortable. My parents were the first owners of the house I grew up in and I lived there for 30 of my 32 years so it was never an issue. My current apartment building is old but I think because it's an apartment I know there are other people in the building with me so it doesn't freak me out. I'll probably see if my building is on that site, but not tonight. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think this site is fully accurate, as I know of several homes in my area that were murder scenes and they did not come up in the list...

As I mentioned the above, the site is still growing :) So likely will still be missing quite a bit for certain cities. It is still pretty young, only a few years old. And just recently caught the attention of the media.

Also, you can make a submission!

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This question had never even occurred to me before today! It's a pretty safe bet that people have died in at least some parts of my house, as the older parts are hundreds of years old. Basically, it's two old, single storey cottages knocked into one, which were then extended sideways and upwards over the years. I can't remember how old the oldest bits are, but I do know they'd originally had earth flooring (another house of a similar age was sold a while back, and it STILL had old earth floors! ).

This town is full of ghost legends, some more famous than others, and it's just not seen as a big deal here (even in the case of the Drummer Boy legend). The legends are simply part of the town's history - and since it was founded in 1071, that's a LOT of history ;)

The thought of ghosts doesn't bother me at all. Some of the legends are fascinating though :read:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i don't think i'd want to know. it's the vibes me and my cats bring to our home, the happy home we make that's important to me.

on the other hand, when looking at homes to buy, i'd take into account if there were any murders or other nasty stuff that had happened in it, as well as any criminal neighbors. that would likely effect the price i was willing to buy the home for.