Question of the Day - Tuesday, November 15

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greetings to everyone on this fine Tuesday!

What's one thing you would never buy second hand?

First thing that comes to mind is a couch - unless it was from a close relative, I find couches too personal and intimate when strangers had it first. You never know what adventures and history it had!

Other items would include mattresses, earphones, pajamas, undies etc

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mattresses, pillows and under garments for sure. As for "somewhat intimate items" like PJs or couches It would depend on where, from who and the condition. Sometimes "second hand" could just be a month old or still has tags on it...so IDK

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Any kind of padded furniture (too worried about bed bugs), underwear, most clothing, personal products like soaps or lotions, most kitchen plastic items that can’t go through a dishwasher. Anything else notably used.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Upholstered furniture, personal care items, e.g. underwear and certain cat items, e.g. litter box.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Tires, oh big time! I did that once years ago and it was a big mistake.

The short answer is anything that cannot go into very hot soap and water. Now that I think about it, that is the long answer, too.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Underwear, bras or socks for sure. I remember a mom saying her baby got athletes foot from hand-me-down footy sleepers from a neighbor!

Pillows are cheap enough that I can’t see buying used either.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
A car engine, one of our vehicles needs the engine replaced or rebuilt - we went with rebuild.
Underwear except slips/bras and they have to be good quality. I've bought sofas and chairs only when I see whom I'm buying them from or they have barely been used. I have no problem with bedding - as long as I can wash it.