Question of the Day - Tuesday, May 4

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Hello! Happy first Tuesday of May! 🌺

And May the 4th be with you! ;)

If you had only ONE of the five senses (hearing, touch, taste, sight, smell), which would you want?

And you can only have/keep one!

I would want to have sight. I love travelling the world (Seeing sights and history) and reading, so it would be way too hard to let that all go visually. It would suck to lose other aspects like hearing music but at least I could still do other things like actively watch and participate in dance. I like food but not a foodie so not a massive loss there either. Same with smell. On the fence about losing touch lol

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to go with sight. I think it's the one sense that would be the most difficult to go without.
If I can't taste, it certainly would make it easier to eat healthy. Smell....meh...not the worst thing not to have...outside of for safety reasons (smoke, gas, rotten food, etc...). Touch is tricky, I'm sure it would make for a sense of almost loneliness if that extra connection wasn't there. Hearing would be hard but not as hard as sight.....for me anyway. With close captioning and sign language...it's pretty manageable.
So yeah...I'm going with sight.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a purely technical thing, I'm not sure a human could function without a sense of touch. Couldn't really walk, would injure themselves all the time, etc. Without constant sensory feedback, you'd just be flinging your meatbag body all over the place, lol. But let's say by "touch" that just means stuff like petting a kitty or whatever.

In that case I'd have to pick sight, like a lot of people. I think that's the most important to basic functioning.

Oddly, Helen Keller said that if she could have one sense back she would have picked hearing, not sight. Because "blindness separates you from things, deafness separates you from people". Idk now, though, we have so much technology I'm not sure deafness is as big of a hurdle as it used to be.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I was going to say what W Willowy just mentioned about Helen Keller and educators often say that deaf children are more challenged than blind ones. But I still have to say that I would want to keep sight if I could only have one. I agree that technology might have made deafness more manageable, smell could be circumvented. Touch, to me, means the ability to feel with the hands and not paralysis or large scale nerve loss which would be difficult. Taste loss is odder than you think though; I lost it after anesthesia from surgery years ago for a while.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a purely technical thing, I'm not sure a human could function without a sense of touch. Couldn't really walk, would injure themselves all the time, etc. Without constant sensory feedback, you'd just be flinging your meatbag body all over the place, lol. L
That’s a great point. I do also struggle with sensory issues though, in terms of touch, and I think it would be very helpful to not go through that.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
😑 I'm not a fan of this question, lol, but I'm going to do this logically.
I already have no sense of taste, and I'm used to it at this point. When I get sick I lose my sense of smell, so I'm used to that too. I know sign language, so I'd be ok losing hearing too.
Now lies the problem. I am very much a visual person, but more so than that, I show/receive love through touch. Had a great read of The 5 Love Languages.
I just don't think I could give up my sense of touch. That'd amount to me giving up how I show love.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I would probably choose sight also, not only because I am a visual person but because I would want to be able to see my animals and children who I love dearly. I love my husband too but there are some days I wouldn't mind not seeing him. 😉

Last edited:

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Sight. I have always had bad eyesight since childhood. I got Lasik surgery done many years ago and it did improve my sight greatly. However over time my sight started getting weird (my eyesight in one eye is much worse than the other). Also, I have a condition that causes heavy floaters and flashes.
So to me to have perfect eye sight with none of these eye issues is a gift from above.🤗

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd want to keep sight.
I get very overwhelmed by a lot of noises, especially loud or triggering ones, so in a sense, it would be a relief.
And I love to write, not being able to describe settings or people anymore, because I couldn't have a point of reference, would be devastating. Plus, all the typos and spelling mistakes I mean miss...