Question of the Day - Tuesday, May 27

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there folks! 

What is your favourite magazine?

I regularly enjoy Pointe, BBC History and Archeology magazine. I grew up reading National Geographic, but only read a couple since, so altogether it has been awhile. And of course I'll occasionally pick up a horse or dog related magazine.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I don't like magazines anymore.. it's all unrelated advertisements, and at least 50% ads.. by unrelated, I mean nothing to do with the title of the magazine. Beauty supplies in a cooking magazine? Hair regrowth ads in a marine fish magazine?

nope, I refuse to buy magazines anymore for this. I tend to just skim through and never really read anything anymore

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never bought or subscribed to magazines, but I did enjoy the Bird Talk ones a bird store used to send with some of my orders. I don't even read the ones at the doctor/dentist office. I've skimmed a few at the vets, but a lot of the articles are Hills-sponsored, researched, or written. *shrugs* Most magazines aren't something I'd pay for.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I get a few; I'm not sure which is my favorite.  I get Parents, Organic Gardening and Better Homes and Gardens.  My Grandpa gets me the subscription to Organic Gardening every year.

I have to say though; I do really enjoy my kid's subscription to High5 (the younger kids version of Highlights).
  We had a power outage after a bad storm last week and my DD and I read through an entire issue in one sitting.

Every now and then I'll pick up Birds and Blooms to look at the pictures.

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I don't like magazines anymore.. it's all unrelated advertisements, and at least 50% ads.. by unrelated, I mean nothing to do with the title of the magazine. Beauty supplies in a cooking magazine? Hair regrowth ads in a marine fish magazine?

nope, I refuse to buy magazines anymore for this. I tend to just skim through and never really read anything anymore
When Taste of Home first came out (back in the very early 90s), there were no ads. I loved it. Then several years ago, they said they were going to start running a few ads, but they would be cooking ads. Well, it wasn't long til Taste of Home should have been called Taste of Ads because the magazine turned into a huge ads fest. And while some of them were cooking/food-related, many of them weren't. That was one reason why I cancelled my subscription. The second reason was because the magazine seemed to be more geared toward recipes using convenience and packaged foods....that's not how I cook. So since it really wasn't geared any longer to cooks like me, I let the subscription expire and didn't bother to renew. I haven't been sorry. Judging from what others have said about that magazine, I'm not missing much at all. And it's a shame as it used to be a great magazine, full of wonderful recipes for cooks and bakers. Now? It's just another cooking mag, nothing special about it at all anymore.

My favorite magazine is Cook's Illustrated, followed closely by Cook's Country. Both are from America's Test Kitchen and I highly recommend them. If anybody is looking for a good gift for your favorite cook or baker, check either one of them out.

We also subscribe to Garden Gate, which is really interesting if you like to flower garden. They have great ideas for containers, for shady spots, for sunny spots, etc. We both like that magazine and Rick will sit and read it, too. Other than that, Rick gets Sports Illustrated and we also get Prevention and TV Guide.

I would dearly love to have a subscription to Mother Earth News. We got it years ago, but let it expire. It's such an interesting magazine and I've been tempted to try it out again.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't subscribe to any magazines, but my mom probably gets a hundred :tongue2:. I like Smithsonian best, also Cook's Country, Cook's Illustrated, and Mother Earth News (which does have a lot of ads but they all seem to be for homesteading/farming/gardening things so they're at least useful ads). She used to get a magazine called Countryside that I liked too, but I haven't seen it lately. I don't know if her subscription ran out or maybe it stopped publishing. All the good magazines go out of business, it seems like.

Last edited:

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only one I subscribe to is Computerworld. My hospital has a subscription to Cat Fancy, so sometimes when I am near that area, I stop by the waiting room just to read it. I'm thinking of subscribing to it myself.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't subscribe to any magazines, but my mom probably gets a hundred
. I like Smithsonian best, also Cook's Country, Cook's Illustrated, and Mother Earth News (which does have a lot of ads but they all seem to be for homesteading/farming/gardening things so they're at least useful ads). She used to get a magazine called Countryside that I liked too, but I haven't seen it lately. I don't know if her subscription ran out or maybe it stopped publishing. All the good magazines go out of business, it seems like.
I used to take some home from work because they got several copies of the same magazine each month!  It was a doctor's office that was disbanding after a few of the docs had either retired or passed away.  So where there was once 7 doctors; they were down to 1  by the time I started there.  Most were the gossipy or news kind of magazines; but they had a few good ones come in that I would take a copy of if it looked interesting.  I kind of miss that.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What about cat magazines?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about cat magazines?
They're the worst! I swear there are maybe 5 full pages of actual content in Cat Fancy now, the rest are ads. That's why I don't subscribe anymore. I think fashion magazines are the only ones with more ads than pet magazines but I don't care about fashion so that doesn't bother me :D.