Question of the Day - Tuesday, May 26

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! Happy Tuesday!

So I had my birthday this past weekend! And sometime ago my friends and I had a chat on the pros and cons of being born in our said months (One is in January, the other August and myself in May) So got me thinking...

What are the pros and cons about your Birthday Month/Day?

Pros: When there isn't any rain it is beautiful weather. Perfect timing in-between the end of winter/early spring and summer. Flowers everywhere, beautiful green grass and no mosquitoes or flies out yet. I went for a hike with my mom and it was lovely. It really is a pretty time to have a birthday.

Cons: In my own experience, there are literally a kajallion late May babies :lol: I know so many people who have birthdays the same days as mine, from coworkers to close friends. In total, 15 people I know personally face to face. Not including strangers I happen meet or online friends. From May 21 to 25.

THANKS A LOT ALL YOU POPULAR SUMMER WEDDINGS AND HONEYMOONS/VACATIONS. GEEZ. (I'm looking at you too, mom and dad :tongue:)

Anyhoo, it isn't the end of the world, it just can be a bit easy to be forgotten or waysided :doh: People are understandably distracted! Especially too when other things happen, like the ending of semesters or dance recital season etc

Although, according to various articles September (Especially the 9th) is the most popular birthday month due to the romantic nature of Christmas/Winter.

Here is an interactive Map too for those who are curious about the popularity of their own days How Common is Your Birthday? This Visualization Might Surprise You May 23rd ranks 89th, so not too shabby.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
May for me.

Pro: Growing up it was easy to plan and get a birthday party going as I was still in school (keep in mind this was before cell phones and social media). Also, it was Spring, so there were more options for what and where celebrations could be. May is also not a very high travelling/holiday month, so it was easier to plan things.
Con: Yes it was Spring, so a good thing, but at the same time, weather is very unpredictable, and plans could have to change at a moments notice. I also share my birthday with Mother's day, and although it's not a big deal, it did mean that my birthday parties were usually never ON my birthday weekend, just to make sure my friends could celebrate with their moms. As an adult, again, not a big deal, Mother's day and my birthday are a combo celebration when we get together.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
September- I like the weather, not too hot, not too cold. September feels like the start of the year for me instead of January, since that's when school always started, and I'm another year older.

I can't really think of any cons, except that I hate aging!

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My birthday is next Thursday, so what I always liked about it growing up was that it was often near, and sometimes on, the last day of school. I also love saying that I graduated high school when I was 17 even though I literally turned 18 the next day (during the all-night after-graduation party too!). What I didn't like is that my dad was almost always fishing in Canada on my birthday. He goes almost yearly and for some reason always goes in early June.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My birthday is 1 April.

Pros: My name was Sunshine Morticia Erin, and my grandmother was able to convince my parents to change my name because of the month and day. Also, I like rain. Since it typically rains a lot in April, the month can be nice.

Cons: It is April Fool's Day and people tend to be stupid. They also think they are the first ones to ask me if my middle name is May. It is not, in case you were wondering. People also used to think "Ape" was an appropriate nickname for me. It is not. Also, April is usually when my allergies really start to kick in for the rest of the spring. This year, as a gift, the world gave me an extremely high mold allergen count in my area and I could not breathe.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There was a huge con for being a September birthday: starting school early or late.The cut off was usually Sept. 1. I'm on the 10th. I had to get a psychological and aptitude test to see if I was mature enough and intelligent enough to start Kindergarten when I was 4 instead of waiting another year. Yeah...all because of a measly week. Joke's on them, the evaluators suggested putting me in first grade 😂 Anyway, I had friends who were a year older than me in the same grade and friends who were older than me but were in the grade below (not because they failed a grade, just because of the age thing)

Academics-wise it wasn't a big deal in the end, but age cutoffs ruined my youth sports career. I had been playing with my age level for a couple of years, which meant not playing with anybody in my grade, and they had a rule that said if you were in the top 10% of players in the club at that age, you could get pushed up an age level. I was able to do that because my team won the state tournament for our level that year. It was during my transition from elementary to junior high, so it made sense.

Fast forward a couple of years, and they randomly changed the rule again without telling us. Tried out for the 16yo team after playing on the 15yo B team. They called me up after tryouts and said I made the 15yo C team. Like, they treated me as if I hadn't tried out at all and hadn't been playing with the club for years. As if my family wasn't well-known within the club (my dad had been the treasurer as well as a referee coordinator, we were not unknowns) I said "Adios!" and left the club. I ended up joining the club in the next town over...at the 17yo B team...but yeah, pretty much ruined my chances of making the high school team and I ended my career early because my teammates all graduated and left after the 18yo year (whereas I was still 16)

But yeah, that was a major con. Another con that goes along with the timing of school is that it happens the first week of everything, so if you're starting at a new school, you don't have many friends yet. I spent my 23rd birthday moving to Chicago to start grad school, for instance.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
cassiopea cassiopea A very Happy, tho belated, birthday!

My birthday is in January. Let me see.....well, when we plan to go to dinner to celebrate my birthday, it invariably snows or we get freezing rain. Or ice. Or all three.

Is there anything good about a January birthday? I think not.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
My birthday is in March. When I was young enough to care about such things I thought the 9 weeks between the end of the Christmas/New Year period and my birthday was the perfect length of time to go on a diet and do a lot of exercise and detox things so I could start my next year looking good.

I guess the pro there is that I only had to diet for 9 weeks.

:lol:

Cons? Hmmmm. Having a birthday in March means I often get snowed in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cassiopea cassiopea A very Happy, tho belated, birthday!

My birthday is in January. Let me see.....well, when we plan to go to dinner to celebrate my birthday, it invariably snows or we get freezing rain. Or ice. Or all three.

Is there anything good about a January birthday? I think not.
Thank you very much!

Indeed my friend has similar sentiments unfortunately as a Jan baby 😬 And my mom! Plus after the whole Holiday related rushes people are a little blasé. But on the plus side, according to studies, January babies tend to be more good natured and are more likely to become doctors, CEO's or celebrities!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My birthday was ranked 52, which is weird. You'd think after 10ish years of teaching, I would have had a student with the same birthday as me if it's up that high, but I never have.

July has pros and cons for birthdays. You could do outdoors, piñatas, pool parties... except a lot of people didn't make it to parties because of vacation. And people would decorate others' lockers for their birthday, and I never got that until my senior year of high school when it was done the last day of school by a couple friends who felt bad I'd missed that tradition.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pros: In October, so as a student I had no exams on my birthday, and hopefully it won't be spent in lockdown this year either. Autumn is a gorgeous season and not much is on during my birthday (on Oct 1) so doesn't get overshadowed by any major national celebrations like Christmas or Easter.
Cons: From a school point of view, when I started a new school it was hard to have parties as I'd only just met my classmates at the time. Other than that I honestly can't think of any other cons for having a birthday around this time of year - other than the grim thought that I could have possibly been conceived on Valentine's Day! :lol: