Question of the Day - Tuesday, May 11

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why hello there! Happy Tuesday!

As a child, what problem or situation did TV / movies make you think would be common, but when you grew up you found out it wasn’t?

First comes to mind was all the constant revolving door of relationships, regularly running into a dozen interested attractive singles every week and overall long list of dating drama (Thanks Friends, Frasier and Seinfeld lol Amongst other sources) but turns out me and my circle are either simply normal singles or have settled in long term relationships without much issue - aside from the odd usual whatnots here and there. Also Halloween treats filled with murdering stuff. I was grateful for my mother's rightfully careful diligence but also made me think it was an actual regular problem that I could happen anytime :lol: I wasn't afraid or anything, I adored Halloween and still do, but alas have yet to discover poison or blades in my sweeties.

Other exampled responses that I saw when I explored this Q for fun included easily exploding cars, slipping on banana peals, quicksand and food fights at the school cafeteria.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I think relationships. It is much harder finding a boyfriend than these shows let on. I have had some decent bf's, but met my fair share of jerks as well. I hate bs and can't stand head games. I highly respect authenticity. I wish there were more of that out there.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Probably careers and friendships. And how much you can accomplish as a person. Even teens were depicted like they had time for jobs, sports, studying, dating and hanging out with friends. I mean sure during college I managed a job, school and dating. But now? I manage to forget that I started the washer and having time for a "girls night" or weekend even is laughable. This house isn't magically clean like that family of 8's house always is. Did I miss the episode where they have a cleaning fairy who comes in at night?
(Thanks Friends,
I was thinking about that show was this morning. Like if I met Joey in real life and he was someone who was sleeping with a different woman basically every day; we wouldn't be friends. That's using women like objects of your pleasure instead of respecting them as people. But yeah the dating pool is nowhere near as pretty as it looked on tv. :lol:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Just for the record, Frasier was my all time favorite American sitcom. I still watch it and sort of have it memorized. All time favorite was Fawlty Towers and BlackAdder.

I also went to an all girls' school, so the whole boyfriend situation was harder for me, especially since I was an only child of very elderly parents raised with no nearby relatives or grandparents. Yes, I did have lots of little friends at school though and in the neighborhood though.

Most of my friends in childhood and I loved mysteries and spy stories so we believed that there was much more crime afoot than there really is, even if there still is a lot in the world. We used to snoop through the neighborhood looking over walls and crawling under bushes to see if neighbors were burying people in their back yard or unloading contrabands from their car in grocery bags.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having open and detailed conversations about sex with my friends. Definitely have not had that happen with my friends. Also how frequently people go out to party or to bars. Granted, that could be because I don't like to be around people and I don't drink, but I definitely did not party in high school or college.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got our first TV around '54 or '55, and the programming of the day was nothing like that of later years. Problems? Like Superman not finding a phone booth to change in? Gangs were the biggest problems in the movies, like Rebel Without a Cause or The Wild Ones. Really tame stuff by comparison. Oh, and yeah; quicksand did swallow up a lot of bad guys in those old westerns.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about that show was this morning. Like if I met Joey in real life and he was someone who was sleeping with a different woman basically every day; we wouldn't be friends. That's using women like objects of your pleasure instead of respecting them as people. But yeah the dating pool is nowhere near as pretty as it looked on tv. :lol:
Agree about Joey!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think jobs and the cost of living. In shows people would work part time in a coffee shop and be able to afford all kinds of expensive apartments and things. Lol.
All while having a fantastic wardrobe!! As I sit here in pj pants my mom bought me 20 years ago that I'll probably never want to throw away... :flail:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, TV shows always misrepresent low-/middle-income life badly. Even shows like The Middle, you can still tell nobody involved knows what it's really like to not be filthy rich. "Oh no, can't afford designer clothes and/or music lessons". Nah, how about "can't afford Target clothes, let's look at the clearance rack at Walmart" or "can't afford the gas to go into town more often than once a week but also can't scrape up enough cash to buy enough groceries to last a week".

And, yeah, the romantic situations are usually unrealistic too. The median number of partners in one's life (in the US) is 7. On Seinfeld, George had 47 girlfriends during the show's run (9 seasons), and he was supposed to be a schlub!

And I feel as though TV shows have grievously overstated the number of spunky orphans who are adopted by lonely rich men ;).

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to love Westerns so jumping on a horse and galloping into the sunset.
Didnt tell you about the bit of trying to put on a saddle and the horse bolting and galloping into the sunset.
Cleaning its hoofs and you flying into the sunset. Somehow the horses in the westerns seemed to groom and look after themselves and there were no fences to run into while galloping into the sunset.