Question of the Day - Tuesday, March 3

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greetings! Happy First Tuesday of March!!

As a child, what did you think would be awesome about being an adult, but isn’t as awesome as you thought it would be?

Simple premise for a start - I remember being small and thinking how awesome it would be to stay up late past 7 pm and not have to be told to go to bed. I would often grumble about having to go to bed early, especially if it was still light-ish out. It looked neat and exciting and wanted to do what the adults were doing, like watch cool grown up shows or chill, eats snacks and intellectual chats, or a nice evening out. Now while I still stay up on average 10-11 pm in comparison, staying up too late isn't really up there for me. I mean, sure, I could technically stay up late, but if you have to get up really early for work or have important plans than you face the consequences :lol: In any case, while I do enjoy stuff like a good TV program, turns out I look forward to my bed anyway- read a good book and settle right in to rest and snuggle with the kitties!

And I was never one to party anyway (The occasional dinner out at a pleasant restaurant instead) chilling with tea on the couch and watching an awesome historical documentary where it was at for me.

Other examples of course, are the reality of bills and things like car maintenance. Phew!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hated school, so being free of that was the shiny prize I looked forward to. Then, when I got out, there was the reality of getting a job, the likelihood of military service- there was still a draft back then- and all of the other minutiae of adult life. Those school days look a lot better in hindsight.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing. I never wanted to grow up. It looked terrible. Honestly it's not nearly as terrible as I thought when I was kid, lol. While I found it annoying and insulting to be "treated like a child", I also saw that many adults were treated like that so I didn't think things would get better.

But as an adult, you get to have people arrested if they hit you, so that's a plus. I'm not sure I made that connection when I was a kid though.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Well, Rick and I have been on our own since I was 16 and he was 19, so I grew up pretty quickly. The whole thing about kids having kids wasn't all that easy or all that great, to be honest.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to get my own place and job then nobody could tell me what to do. Then at 16 got my first job and realized you still have to do what your told. At 18 got my own place Within weeks of having it the cost of running it made me miss home so bad.

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I was little, I loved sitting next to the adults and listen to them talk. They seemed to know so much and are so wise!

Now as an adult, I realized that some of those "wisdom" are ill-informed biases, just bellowed out as if they were true.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Using the phone. Turns out I kinda hate it. :lol:

When I was in k-2nd grade the school I went to served some kind of beef with mashed potatoes and gravy. It came sliced like a slab of lunch meat. I thought it was sooo delicious. But they wouldn't let the little kids cut it themselves so the lunch ladies came around cutting it for us with the plastic knife. I started telling people I wanted to be a lunch lady when I grew up so I could uses my own knife. :flail:I never really got good with a knife till I was in my 20s. :lol:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wanted to get my own place and job then nobody could tell me what to do. Then at 16 got my first job and realized you still have to do what your told. At 18 got my own place Within weeks of having it the cost of running it made me miss home so bad.
I’m trying to tell my DS this. His solution is that he will be his own boss. He didn’t like it when I told him then he’ll still have to do what his customers want. :flail:Poor kid is in for a wakeup call!:lol2::crazy:

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Traveling. It was easy when your parents planned everything and you were small enough to not mind long plane or car rides because you could basically lie down in the seat. You didn't worry about jetlag, TSA security, or visas, or taxi scams... downside was, you had to do EVERYTHING with your parents and share a hotel room (and bed with your brother ick). You definitely couldn't wander off and explore on your own, you definitely had to eat what everyone else was eating, etc. etc. I thought growing up would make traveling more fun, lol, boy was I wrong. I actually hate traveling these days. I went from Seoul to Minneapolis to Dublin to Seoul over the course of two weeks (three weekends) last summer and after that I never wanted to see another airplane again. I'm still not sure I'm over the jetlag XD

And I always have to have everything meticulously planned and researched and have had anxiety attacks before when my plans didn't work out. I always feel terribly gassy and greasy when I get off of a plane too, which is not ideal when you're usually traveling to humid, polluted Southeast Asian cities to play sports right away. No, traveling is definitely not as cool and glamorous as I thought it would be when I was a kid XD