Question of the Day - Tuesday, June 29

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greetings to all! Happy Tuesday!

How would your 10-year-old self react to what you do now?

*Or if you are currently retired, your previous recent field of work(s).

Probably a mix of surprise but also relatively content (Or relieved!) I hope :lol: Surprised at the fact that one of my jobs involves currently working in the beauty industry, which is unexpected but that's life! but content that the other job is being a ballet teacher and currently pursuing an MSc, which is something I opted to do in my adult life as a dreamy kid. When I was a wee one I was in-between wanting to become a doctor or pursuing a field in History, ranging from conservation, archaeology, research etc. Thankfully the latter seems to be going ok that way! I adore history, so I'm thankful.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My ten year old self really wanted to be an archaeologist and was also such an introvert that she would be disappointed that I didn’t follow that career path and totally shocked that I chose a career (Human Resources) that involved interacting with people all day every day.

I would get a big thumbs up though on retirement though.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I think my 10 year old self would be pleased since I always liked helping people and went into teaching Special Education. It carried over into my volunteer efforts too since I worked with children who have critical illnesses.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know; I was a weird kid. I wanted to be a vet at one point, at another point I wanted to be a social worker and get child abusers. Then I realized I wouldn't be allowed to go to college so that was that, but I figured that out was when I was maybe 15 so I was still pretty hopeful at age 10. I used to seek out vet manuals and child abuse case studies at the library, which is definitely not what librarians expect of a 10-12-year-old girl, lol.

So maybe 10-year-old me would think postal work was cool, but also would be a bit disappointed that I'm not working in animal or child advocacy.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think I was thinking too seriously about my future at 10. Younger i wanted to either be a doctor or a lunch lady. I'm kind of a lunch lady. Except that generally my kids make their own lunch now. :lol:

I had friends that were homeschooled at that age but I didn't consider it for my own kids until I had them. I'm not sure if it would surprise myself though. I think at that age I was more "in the moment" and carefree.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
At that age, I used to play librarian (yeah, I was lonely!). I've worked in a library all of my adult life, although I'm not a librarian (you need a Master of Library Science to earn that title).

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My 10 year old self would have been very unpleased with the turnout of what I have become at the moment. I wanted to be a nurse when I was a kid, but due to finances it did not happen. Now I am stuck with an 8 to 5 job for decades when the next best thing I should have done is also becoming a writer. Both dreams failed.

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She'd be kind of disappointed at first. I had big dreams back then, going to med school, becoming a surgeon or someone that saves lives.
But I just couldn't handle that level of pressure in school. I'd hate to explain to her what happened between then and now.
But she'd be be alright after I'd explain when I'm doing at the moment. I'm still in school, but the field I'm working towards would be something she's admire. Still trying to help people, but just in a different way😊

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 10, life at home was simply miserable, school was frightening (although I was in a class for the "more intelligent" children (meaning we could all write English correctly and do our sums right). People thought I was a nice quiet, helpful child though I was in fact angry and too frightened to own up if I'd done anything wrong. So perhaps I would have been proud to know that I would soon learn to discard that t-shirt with the slogan "It wasn't me!" printed on the front, and relieved to find out that I would be very happy at my secondary school, and that, although I would still make lots of mistakes, compared to many people, I would have little to complain about.
So, at 10 years of age, when I had visions of changing the world, I would simply be relieved that things would get better, even if not in a way I could possibly imagine at that age, back in 1954!

She would be startled to discover that I was still alive and kicking! 🤣

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, she would be absolutely delighted!

You mean we live in a cabin in an enchanted forest with all these cats and we get to work from home every day and we can have green hair and stay up as late as we like every night!?

That's just what we always wanted!

:hyper:

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was learning maps in 5th grade when I was 10, so the fact that I'm working on getting my master's in a field about maps and data analysis would probably surprise me. Looking back on my life, 5th grade was actually when I realized my love of maps and science.