Question of the Day - Tuesday, June 16

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone! Happy Tuesday! :hellocat:

What’s the weirdest/creepiest text, email or audio message you’ve ever gotten?

A number of years ago I worked for a museum as an interpreter and tourguide for a 19th century military fort. I was dressed up in period costume and everything. The fort overlooked a large river where you can see the U.S on the other side. Because of the size of the place all the staff had walkie talkies. One sunny afternoon I was standing up top on the palisade, holding the device in my hand in anticipation for a response from a coworker, when I suddenly heard gut wrenching screaming, wailing and begging of a woman's voice. There was some static, but the words I manage to hear clearly was "Oh God somebody help me!" "Heeeeeeeelp!" Stop!" "Please stop!". It lasted for maybe ten seconds before it ended.

I tried to engage back but nothing :dunno: Long story short, I immediately informed my bosses, tried to seek out information the best I could from the area via news or online etc (Boat sinking? An attack or murder? Prank? Accident?) but alas to no avail. Whether on my side of the border or in the neighboring U.S town. Still have no idea where it came from.

I know the fort did have a couple of ghost stories regarding soldiers, but nothing relating to some sort of terrifying event to a young woman. Even checked out historical sources. In any case, whatever really happened I hope she is OK!

It was certainly one of those "Um, okey then" moments :lol: :confused2:

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any creepy ones, but I have a cute one.

Got a voicemail from a number I didn't recognize. Checked the voicemail and it was an obviously older gentleman. He says, "Oh! Um...hi, Laura! I meant to phone a friend of mine but dialed you instead. Sorry! Have a great day!" Why he stayed all through my voicemail stating who I was is beyond me, but it was really sweet!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only creepy voicemail I've ever gotten (that I can remember) was just last year. I listened to the message and for the first 3-4 seconds it was silent followed by an ominous sounding voice that simply said...."good-bye"....then dead air.
It was just an automated telemarketer/scam call. I assume it started leaving it's message before my voicemail actually started recording so all I got was the end. But creepy non the less, some weird sounding alien thing saying goodbye in a way that sounded like I was about to die.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
About 10 years after I was married I received a phone call from someone who said he was an old boyfriend but it was not the BF. Not sure what that was about but luckily he never called back. :headshake:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was about 18 I got a relay call from someone who claimed she knew me from Japan when we were little. I didn't remember her or any of the "memories" she was talking about at all. I don't know if it was someone trying to scam me or make fun of me, but fortunately I'm clueless and awkward enough that everything just goes over my head, lol. At that time there was a deaf girl who was friends with one of my friends, and she was jealous, so my mom's theory is that she was the one doing it (because deaf people use relay, but usually people who speak another language use a translation service) but I don't know what her end game would have been. It was just really weird.

Another time I kept getting texts from someone who was convinced that my number was his girlfriend's number, and I was trying to ignore him but that culminated in him sending pictures of certain parts of his anatomy ;). At which point I told him in no uncertain terms that he got the very WRONGEST number. But that was more funny than creepy.

Last edited:

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It was probably just a phone/voicemail malfunction, but it was creepy, but actually nice...our landline got zapped by a storm. Out of the blue one day, I heard my (dead) Mom's voice on the messages saying, "Barbara, please call me back. I really need to talk to you.".It would just do it without me accessing the messages on the phone. That was the last phone message Mom left a couple of weeks before she died. Every so often, it would go off at random. I cried when that phone died, and we had to get another one. No more message from Mom.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back in the day before texts or even voice mail, the pervs used to get their enjoyment by calling and then heavy breathing into the phone. These calls were always creepy but especially in the middle of the night.
My mom once got several dirty calls when I was little. She called the police about it, and got a call back from someone claiming to be an officer. He asked her to describe the dirty calls in extreme detail, and she hung up. She was pretty sure a real officer wouldn't have made her relive all of that.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
When I was younger (early 20s), I was at my parents' home. My parents and my son were camping and it was just my brother and me. I had been out for a while and got home around 10:00 that night. Got into the house, lit a cigarette, and sat at the kitchen table. I picked up the phone to call a friend and some guy said, "I see you're home. I'm coming to get you!" Now all I did was pick up the phone. It never rang. I stood there for a minute, then hung the phone up, grabbed my purse, keys, and cigarettes, and high-tailed it out to my car in the driveway. And chain-smoked til my brother got home. He looked at me, asked me what the heck I was doing sitting in my car and I told him about the guy.

You see, we had a phone in the basement and all I could think of was that somebody was in the basement. And there was no way I was staying in that house by myself. Nope, not going there. So that was my creepy phone call. But there's more.....

My brother and I were sitting at the kitchen table, talking about the phone call. And then we heard a loud crash in the basement. We debated about what to do, but we knew we had to go to the basement and find out what happened. He got Dad's gun and we went down, me right behind my brother. Our basement was divided in half. On one side was the rec room and the other side was Dad's work bench and the laundry. We got downstairs (and by this time, I was hanging on to my brother's shirt tail) into the rec room, looked around and found nothing out of place. Walked over to Dad's work bench and he had recently painted an extra trailer hitch to their camper. Well, somehow that trailer hitch fell off the work bench onto the cement floor. That was the crash we heard.

Trailer hitches are heavy and they're awkward. To just have it fall on its own was a little weird. It took two of us to get it back up on the table. Between that and the phone call, my brother and I never slept that night. I made a pot of coffee and we spent the night in the kitchen playing cards. And when it finally started to get light outside, we crashed.

My brother and I both always said that blasted house was haunted. We'll never give in.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I don't have any creepy ones, but I have a cute one.

Got a voicemail from a number I didn't recognize. Checked the voicemail and it was an obviously older gentleman. He says, "Oh! Um...hi, Laura! I meant to phone a friend of mine but dialed you instead. Sorry! Have a great day!" Why he stayed all through my voicemail stating who I was is beyond me, but it was really sweet!
That is sweet.

I once texted my cat sitter to tell her we'd be late getting home from our trip and could she feed our cats one more time that day. I got a text back "You have the wrong number. This isn't your cat sitter but I hope your kitties get fed!" :lol:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I keep getting invites to dinner parties at various peoples addresses..text back and say I dont know you and have the wrong number.
Must be a club or facebook group having get togethers...been over a year now and keep on coming.
I should get all dressed up and turn up one night and get a free dinner..lol
You should drive by and check one out just to see who they are. I’d be really curious!

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I have received any creepy messages. I've had drunk guys message me on dating apps and then when I call them out for being either inappropriate or gross, they start insulting me. 🙄

A funny text I got from my mom a few years ago was when we were trying to meet a restaurant near my work and she and my dad couldn't find the entrance and she said something like, "we are in the mall. We are outside. Wildfire. Wildfire." What's possibly sad is that I actually understood what she was trying to text. 🤣