Question of the Day - Tuesday, July 21

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! Happy Tuesday :redheartpump:

What TV channel doesn’t exist but really should?

For me, proper Travel Channels. I technically have two but they have morphed into completely other things 🤷‍♀️ Now it's primarily "Reality TV" and Paranormal shows. Granted, I like paranormal stuff, but it still would be nice to have a separate channel or place to go to watch actual travel topics. I miss the days of Lonely Planet/Globe Trekker, which I loved growing up. Most other travel-themed shows nowadays that I would catch in other channels are about cooking and food, which I don't find interesting and somewhat overdone. Or, in other instances sometimes turns preachy and agenda-ridden. At least there is youtube!

Last edited:

Roxabelle

Human slave to Sinclair the Kitten
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Nostalgia Channel! 80s cartoons on a Saturday morning, peppered with ads for all the toys you used to be able to get back then too. For the ultimately-realistic nostalgic experience, the TV channel would prevent you from pausing, rewinding or recording on your TV! You can of course record whatever you want on video cassette...

ebcc310a499095fd87f9e8fb5bd2bf8f.jpg

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not know about an entire channel, but I would like a house buying/house renovation show for lower-income people in which the people are not scripted (or actually) idiots. I want them to be okay with not having 2,000+ sqft homes and who do not "need" an en suite and a walk-in closet the size of a bedroom. Also, I do not want the host(s) to be annoying. I love the ones in which they fix up dilapidated homes or homes in need of love and attention. I just wish that they were not spending $200,000 or more on them. I know it depends on the area, but they could adjust based on the area. Not flippers trying to make money. Actual homeowners with realistic, small budgets.

I guess a whole channel of that kind of show would be good.

IsaAndNena

Nena’s personal maid
Young Cat
Purraise
Completely impossible due to ethical reasons but I’d die for a channel which compares Bear Grylls types to completely normal people to see how they survive 😂 no off camera help nothing. Same with athletes vs normal people.

another one is a real good homemaking channel. Things on TV are usually DIY or 100k dollar home decorating shows with no in between. Not much for the average crowd looking to learn how to cook at home and make their home their own space

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
A channel that highlights historic old homes, e.g. victorians, craftsman, bungalow, prairie homes, etc. There were several tv shows about this subject that should not have been discontinued. One of them was called If Walls Could Talk. It was about old, old homes that people bought and during renovation they found valuable items that belonged to the original owners. Another was Restore America which was about preserving historic old homes.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not know about an entire channel, but I would like a house buying/house renovation show for lower-income people in which the people are not scripted (or actually) idiots. I want them to be okay with not having 2,000+ sqft homes and who do not "need" an en suite and a walk-in closet the size of a bedroom. Also, I do not want the host(s) to be annoying. I love the ones in which they fix up dilapidated homes or homes in need of love and attention. I just wish that they were not spending $200,000 or more on them. I know it depends on the area, but they could adjust based on the area. Not flippers trying to make money. Actual homeowners with realistic, small budgets.

I guess a whole channel of that kind of show would be good.
There was such a show, based in Toronto. The guy was a contractor, and he went to the homes of people with problems, which he then- in most cases- corrected. All this was done on camera. There was one instance, however, that the house had been so butchered that he told them that it couldn't economically be saved or made structurally safe. I'm a pretty competent DIY guy, but some of the stuff he uncovered made me cringe- especially where some idiot used speaker wire for lighting. Yeah, I could go for a channel made up of such programs.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
A channel that highlights historic old homes, e.g. victorians, craftsman, bungalow, prairie homes, etc. There were several tv shows about this subject that should not have been discontinued. One of them was called If Walls Could Talk. It was about old, old homes that people bought and during renovation they found valuable items that belonged to the original owners. Another was Restore America which was about preserving historic old homes.
I just loved the If Walls Could Talk Series!

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A channel that played all uncut episodes of Who's the Boss? I have yet to see all the episodes as they were originally aired. They get so cut up now for commercials and only seasons 1, 2, 7, and 8 are available on a streaming platform.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a show, not a channel, like that on HGTV - Home Town. It's in Laurel, MS, and many of the homes they renovate are under $85,000. It's really inspiring to see what they can do on that budget. I'm sick of the ones done in California, where the houses are $500,000 and up. No one in the rest of the country would pay that for those small houses.

A gardening channel is probably too much to ask for, but until now, the G in HGTV has disappeared. Martha Stewart is coming soon with a new show. Not too many cakes in the potato patch, though.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a show, not a channel, like that on HGTV - Home Town. It's in Laurel, MS, and many of the homes they renovate are under $85,000. It's really inspiring to see what they can do on that budget. I'm sick of the ones done in California, where the houses are $500,000 and up. No one in the rest of the country would pay that for those small houses.

A gardening channel is probably too much to ask for, but until now, the G in HGTV has disappeared. Martha Stewart is coming soon with a new show. Not too many cakes in the potato patch, though.
I have seen it and like the general premise, but I dislike the hosts. The idea that they are from a "small town" where everyone knows everyone is a bit laughable to me because the population is over 18,000, which is technically considered amid size town, according to census categorizations. I came from a town of about that. I currently live in a village of fewer than 2,000. Even in a town of 2,000, you can go to the store and not see someone whose name you know. Sure, we know most of the employees and we know a lot about many people in the village, but the way the 18,000 + population is depicted just annoyed me. Making it seem like they always run into someone they know everywhere they go is annoying. There was an episode in which she was doing some sort of hammering while upon his shoulders. It was far from safe and done to be cute, so it annoyed me.

I really wanted to like it! I am sure I am being too picky, but, while I enjoy the things they do, I just cannot get past them. I do give them credit for taking care of their home town, though. They are probably great people and are just scripted in a way that annoys me.

I like Victory Garden on PBS!

I do have a soft spot for Rehab Addict. She does not annoy me and she saves beautiful old houses. I am a sucker for that.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was such a show, based in Toronto. The guy was a contractor, and he went to the homes of people with problems, which he then- in most cases- corrected. All this was done on camera. There was one instance, however, that the house had been so butchered that he told them that it couldn't economically be saved or made structurally safe. I'm a pretty competent DIY guy, but some of the stuff he uncovered made me cringe- especially where some idiot used speaker wire for lighting. Yeah, I could go for a channel made up of such programs.
Do you recall the name? That does sound interesting! Speaker wire!!!! Dear Sweet Medusa! That is insane!

We bought our house almost six years ago and have been slowly fixing it. We are pretty much done, but little things pop up here and there. It is a Craftsman(ish) bungalow that was built in 1923 by the grandfather of the woman from whom we purchased it. We like to say that he dabbled in house building because some things have left me flabbergasted. She had inherited it several years ago and rented it since then. Neither she nor the renters took care of the house. She was too busy and they just did not care because it was rented. I went to clean under the kitchen sink the first week we started working on it and put my arm through a mushy floor. I almost vomited. The sink leaked and they never bothered to fix it. To save money, I sanded all the hardwood floors while scooting along the floor on my butt with a hand sander. (I am disabled, so a real floor sander was out of the question.) We have hired someone when we needed it, but most of the work has been done by us. My husband just patched a spot in the ceiling where the plaster had come away from the lath. (Thank you Bob Villa for showing me how so I could tell my husband!)

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
A channel that would air any film you wanted to see. Just push a button, key in the title and press Start.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you recall the name? That does sound interesting! Speaker wire!!!! Dear Sweet Medusa! That is insane!

We bought our house almost six years ago and have been slowly fixing it. We are pretty much done, but little things pop up here and there. It is a Craftsman(ish) bungalow that was built in 1923 by the grandfather of the woman from whom we purchased it. We like to say that he dabbled in house building because some things have left me flabbergasted. She had inherited it several years ago and rented it since then. Neither she nor the renters took care of the house. She was too busy and they just did not care because it was rented. I went to clean under the kitchen sink the first week we started working on it and put my arm through a mushy floor. I almost vomited. The sink leaked and they never bothered to fix it. To save money, I sanded all the hardwood floors while scooting along the floor on my butt with a hand sander. (I am disabled, so a real floor sander was out of the question.) We have hired someone when we needed it, but most of the work has been done by us. My husband just patched a spot in the ceiling where the plaster had come away from the lath. (Thank you Bob Villa for showing me how so I could tell my husband!)
It was called 'Holmes Makes it Right', but I don't know if it is still on, as the channel it was on-Global- keeps changing broadcast schedules.