Question of the Day - Tuesday, July 20

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greetings! Happy Tuesday! ☀

What do you call your Grandparents?

(Or any grandparent figure/guardian respectively)

For example, Nana, Grampie, Papa, Grandma, Nona etc etc

I called my late maternal grandparents Grandmama and Grandpapa. My paternal grandparents passed away long before I was born so I didn't have a pet nickname for them, simply called them by their first names. But both sets of grandparents were equally very dear to me! :redheartpump:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Grandma and Grandpa. My mom’s mom was shortened to just Gram usually. When referring to my dad’s mom I’d say Grandma ___ but when talking to her I’d just call her Grandma. She often signed cards Grandma ___ and Grandpa ___.

My mom and aunt both go by Nonnie. My stepsiblings called their grandmas Big Grandma and Little Grandma. :lol2:

Since 3 of my Grandparents were immigrants children we often used the word from the old country for the great-grandparents/aunts/uncles.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grandma and Grandpa for both sets, and we'd add in the last name when we needed tp differentiate. Except my dad's dad was sometimes referred to as 'grandpap'. Idk if that's a Western PA thing or just from my family.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
was grandma and grandpa when mine were alive still but both sets got to see all of us grand kids grow up and my moms dad lived long enough to get to be called "big grand pa" :lol: by my nephew but i kinda see the fun and the logic after hearing about my friends family out in michigan marry young start having kids means free baby sitting from grand parents for years:lol:aside from all the time you get to spend together her gramps is younger than my dad so her gramps has lots of years left to have fun with her kids still.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tried not to call them anything, lol. I was a weird kid and didn't like to use people's names and/or titles. But we referred to both sets as Grandma/Grandpa [lastname], except my dad would refer to his own parents as "your grandmother/grandfather [lastname]", which seemed overly stuffy but maybe is a New Englamd thing? Idk. And he called my mom's parents Grandma and Grandpa instead of by their first names or Mr/Mrs. [lastname]. I wonder what he called them before I was born, lol.

My niece and nephews call my parents Nana and Papa.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I call my paternal grandparents Grandma and Grandpa, and my late maternal grandparents Pap Pap and Grandma.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I called them Grandma and Grandpa. I don't think I had any nicknames for them.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nana and Papa for my maternal grandparents. Grandma and Grandpa for my paternal grandparents. I was told I started using the pet names for my maternal grandparents because of my inability to pronounce "busia" and "djiadjia," which are the traditional Polish names for grandparents.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I called my grandmothers grandma. I never new my grandfathers. My mothers father died when I was a baby and my fathers father deserted his family before I was born. My fathers mother got remarried and we called him Bob. He was a nice guy but he died when I was ten.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I only ever had my maternal great-grandmother and that woman was everything to me. She was Grandma.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mom's side were Grandmother and Grandfather [Last Name]; on dad's side, it was just Grandmother [Last Name]. My dad's father had died when my dad was not yet 2 years old.

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I always called my maternal grandparents oma and opa (basically just our version of grandma and grandpa), without a last name. Sadly my grandmother has passed away.
I called my paternal grandpa opa [last name], we were a lot less close and he has since passed as well. I never knew my paternal grandmother.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
In our part of the world I called my grandmother “Lola” or “Mama”, while our Grandfather as “Lolo” or “Baba”.

i miss my grandparents. ❤

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
My grandparents have been gone for 42 years to 55 years. But I called them Grandma and Grandpa.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grandma and Grandpa with their last name when I speak about them. When I speak to them, it's just Grandma and Grandpa for both sets (but only my dad's parents are still alive).

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maternal - Grammie and Grampie
Paternal - Memere and Pepere (French)
Paternal Great Grandparents (Memere's parents) - Grand Maman and Grand Papa (French)
I was fortunate enough to have known my Great Grandmother, who passed when I was about 12 years old. My Great Grandfather died the year I was born but he was talked about so although I never actually called him anything, that was his "designated Great Grandfather name" according to my older cousins and my parents/aunts/uncles...
My maternal Grandmother is my last grandparent alive...almost 90!

My Mom and Step Dad are called Nana and Papa "his name", and my Dad and Step Mom are called Pepere and Nanny by my nieces.
My Nieces also call their Great Grandmother, Grammie

My Step Grandparents (Step mom's parents) are referred to as Nanny and Grampa

Cute Grandparent story...

My niece was asked by a family member when she was maybe 4ish, how she remembered all of her Grandparents "names", like how was she able to remember which "grandparent name" belonged to which one. ...She answered with a frown....."Well it's easy...it's their names!". I knew deep down...if she had known the slang at that point, she would have added "Duh!" to the end of her answer. LOL!