Question of the Day - Tuesday, January 26

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greetings! Happy Tuesday!

What song's lyrics do you think could be an inspiration for a story (either a movie, series, book, play)?

‘Hotel California’ by the Eagles is popular response to this question, particularly when you take the lyrics literally and turn it into a real potential horror movie. I can see why!

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I am into a variety music genres, but I am always mesmerized by Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue". This song practically tells a story. It has been used in movies and in documentaries (one I remember was about to the construction of the Empire State Building). I would like to see a movie based on Ira Gershwin's life and inspiration for this song. It is a true masterpeice!❤❤❤

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lily, Rosemary, and the Jack of Hearts—Bob Dylan
The Dog Days Are Over—Florence + The Machine (This one because it reminds me a bit of how unexpectedly and reluctantly I found happiness with my husband after divorcing my first husband.)
Fast Car—Tracy Chapman
She—Alice Phoebe Lou

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't Change Your Plans - Ben Folds Five

Memory - Kina Grannis (I'm sure there are plenty of her songs that would be good story inspirations, but as this one is based on a dream, I feel it would work especially well)

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Atlantic City by Bruce Springsteen
Bikeriders by Lucero (about the real life Outlaw motorcycle gang, based on the photography by Danny Lyons)
Basically any of Craig Finn/the Hold Steady's songs. Maybe "God in Chicago" or "Blankets" would be best.
Also anything by the Mountain Goats. "Damn these Vampires" or "Getting Into Knives" or "The Legend of Chavo Guerrero" or "The Best Ever Death Metal Band out of Denton"

None of them are particularly happy stories, but they're moody and atmospheric.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Alone Again, Naturally" by Gilbert Sullivan.

I would want it to be turned into a movie. Story of my life in someone else's song.
I was watching that video on Youtube the other day. The people in the comment section were saying that it was the sadest song ever recorded.

Last edited:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I was watching that video on Youtube the other day. The people in the comment section were saying that it was the sadtest song ever recorded. I can identlty with a lot of the song.
I agree. Everytime I sing that song I cannot finish, as it leaves me choking in tears.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another Harry Chapin song: What Made America Famous?
I'd never heard of that one so I had to look up the lyrics, but whoo, that would make quite a movie! Small-minded fat cats letting a poor peoples' apartment building/flophouse (?) burn down, not trying to save them, because "they just shined the chrome". Yikes. Not on Hallmark probably ;).

I'm Gonna Miss Her would probably make a funny sitcom episode, if they couldn't get a whole movie out of it.

And I'm not sure how many people see that First Blood (the first Rambo movie, before it just became a macho shoot 'em up franchise) is a movie version of Born in the USA but it's pretty close!

Last edited:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd never heard of that one so I had to look up the lyrics, but whoo, that would make quite a movie! Small-minded fat cats letting a poor peoples' apartment building/flophouse (?) burn down, not trying to save them, because "they just shined the chrome". Yikes. Not on Hallmark probably ;).

I'm Gonna Miss Her would probably make a funny sitcom episode, if they couldn't get a whole movie out of it.

And I'm not sure how many people see that First Blood (the first Rambo movie, before it just became a macho shoot 'em up franchise) is a movie version of Born in the USA but it's pretty close!
But you miss the point, where one man says "Then I'm goin' alone" , where one man goes to the rescue in spite of the others, and saves the people from the fire. Also, afterward, he puts them up in his own house.