Question of the Day - Tuesday, January 25

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greetings on this fine Tuesday! :hellocomputer:

How are you turning into your parents?

(Or guardian/parental figure respectively*)

Collecting plastic bags and putting them in the drawer
Reading in bed at 10 PM
Sitting in a identical manner to the way my father sits :lol:
Occasionally stuffing a clean Kleenex tissue into my sleeve or bralette
Inheriting my mums sense of humor and enjoying British comedy/murder mysteries.

(Also inherited various traits/mannerisms from my grandfather)

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of my parents experienced the Great Depression- my father was in his early 20s and my mother was a teenager- and WWII, with its shortages, and so thrift and making do became a way of life for them, and for me as well.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I've already turned into my parents that happened when I became a parent :lol: I save carrier bags in a drawer and was never going to spit on a tissue to clean my kid's face. The amusing thing for me now is watching my daughter turning into me, because when she got grounded I was horrible and she was never going to be so mean to her kid's. Yep my grandkids get grounded. ;)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I look down and see my mother's hands. And in time I guess I'll be seeing my grandmother's hands because my mom always said she would look down and see Gram's hands.

For a while I was falling asleep if I put a movie on; just like my mother. But I haven't done that in a while.

My Grandma always sang silly, modified versions of songs and I do that; but not as much as I used to.

I can't think of anything else. Maybe DH has noticed some things. I don't think any of us are crowd-followers so it feels like we mostly figure out how we want to do things ourselves I guess. I definitely have a different personality so maybe the tendencies and little habits go with that?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My parents stressed studying hard and education which I did with my children also. I was just talking to a neighbor today and told her my parents never used a credit card. They felt if you didn't have the money to pay for something then you didn't buy it. Even though I have a credit card I always pay it off on time.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm worrying myself by turning into my mother more often as I get older, such as:

- often arriving late to events
- pulling all nighters and working till the early hours

Other than that we're pretty different people. Most of our similarities are that we just look alike (which we both inherit from my grandmother and her mother!).

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like to rock the boat, but I'm working on changing that. I also hold on to too much stuff thinking it will be useful someday or because of sentimental value.

Other things that I immediately think of (keep the TV on all day, wear shoes in the house, put the toilet paper roll on backwards) I definitely don't do!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Before I say correctly any of my children's or nephews/niece' name, I call out all the other names mistakenly first.
Yep, that was how my mother used to be, which we found funny.
I do that with our cats' names and think of my grandmother. :) She went through all the list of grandchildren before she got to the right one.

Sometimes I look in the mirror and see my mom's eyes staring back at me. It's not amusing.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think I'm much like my mom at all. We had very different life experiences most of all I have no children so a lot of the behaviors she had just don't apply to me.

I happened to find a few pix of her at the exact age I'm now and even as far as aging is concerned I'm doing much better since I never smoked cigarettes, didn't have kids, rarely drank, worked for decades and took better care of myself than she did (I'm by no means perfect but I learned a lot about not to neglect yourself through the years). Even my hair color at this age is different - she was already pretty gray by 62+ and coloring regularly. I stopped highlighting my hair when the pandemic began, haven't now in 2 years and I'd still be considered a natural blonde tone. Her skin looked like crap and mine, not so bad so far!

Different people, different concerns, different times.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Didn't think I had an answer for this, until I saw today's QotD, and remembered I now scan the obits every day, just like my parents used to do. :ohwell: