Question of the Day - Tuesday, February 18

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
I was driving from Bend to Baker City to visit my son and I saw a couple of herds of Antelope, then wild turkey and numerous deer and elk. By far the coolest animal I saw that early summer morning was when I was driving threw the small canyon along the John Day river. The river was roaring and full from snow melt, and in that area you are following the river closely. I saw something to my left out of the corner of my eye; a bald eagle flying about 15 feet from me at eye level also following the river! It was absolutely amazing! I never realized how big and beautiful they are!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bald Eagles have always been exciting to spot in the wild too.
It's getting less exciting around here, lol. There are just so many! They definitely aren't endangered anymore, that's for sure. I see at least one a day now, and know of several nests in the area. They are still large, impressive, beautiful birds so I like seeing them even if it's not rare.

However, I have only seen a barn owl once, and I know they're everywhere, just elusive. Coyotes, too; I've only seen 2 or 3 live coyotes. But I hear them every night! I really want to see a river otter. They supposedly do live around here but I've never seen one outside of a zoo.

I saw all the usual animals at Custer State Park---bison, mountain goats, bighorn sheep, prairie dogs, pronghorns, etc. I only mentioned the elk because the bison are everywhere but you don't always see an elk, especially a bull.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a deer family who come to my back yard. I always have apples because they adore them
Once a falcon was in one of my trees. He was looking at my Vincie girl. When I lived in Florida,
we were boating on one of the canals at night and a huge Manatee came floating by underneath
the water but she was soo close and sooo beautiful.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
One fine winter day, maybe 20 years ago, I was out walking in the woods when I sat down on a rock for a break. It had started to snow, and I had gotten a liberal coating, when I saw movement coming towards me. When it passed me, at a fairly close range, I could see it was a bobcat. Now, according to wildlife biologists there weren't any bobcats in WNY back then, but there it was, as big as life. It is the only time I have seen one in the wild.
I believe there are bobcats in central PA. Many moons ago, I was coming home from second shift at work (around 11:20 pm). I turned up our driveway and there was a big cat sitting behind Rick's truck at the top of the driveway. I stopped dead and watched. He sat there for a while, then turned and sauntered out through the yard. Not too long after that, I was talking to my neighbor, who showed me tracks in his garden. "They" say there are no bobcats in central PA. I (and many of our neighbors) say "they" are wrong.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is difficult to pick just one. Just hatched baby sea turtles rushing to the ocean in Mexico, the red glowing eyes of 10 or more caiman on a tributary of the Amazon in Brazil when we were torch fishing at night was also unforgettable, a black bear that ate every last item in my ice chest in California and an owl in my own backyard are a just a few.