Question of the Day - Tuesday, December 6

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Greetings! Welcome to the first Tuesday of December!

What slang terms or words are a dead give away to where you are from?

(Whether by country or regional etc)

Pretty easy to figure me out, but for me....

Hoser

Canuck

Two-four

Toonie/Loonie

Dep

Serviette

Humidex

And so forth!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard "rubber binder"!

Otherwise, same.

Also, "no yeah no" and "yeah no yeah"
Don’t know how local or widespread this was in Minnesota but rubber bands were rubber binders or just binders here. I just checked the Urban Dictionary and they showed it as an Upper Midwest term.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
retty easy to figure me out, but for me....

Hoser

Canuck

Two-four

Toonie/Loonie

Dep

Serviette

Humidex

And so forth!
As a fellow Canuck, I have to add "eh", though honestly I don't *think* I say it very often. :lol:

Also housecoat, Kraft Dinner, and of course, "zed" for the letter Z

But what's Dep? And is Humidex only a Canadian term? :dunno:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gosh i really don't know. Maybe you've picked some up from me here? :lol:

I tried googling slang from my region and apparently it's also a word for an anatomical feature I will not repeat. :hmmm::headshake:

I think we just have a mixture here so it feels like there isn't much that is unique. That goes for food, language, weather. etc.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hotdish
You Betcha
Yah Sure
That’s Different
rubber binders
Uff Dah!
Same, since we're from the same state. I'll add:

Pop
Duck, Duck, Gray Duck (the only correct and fun way to play the game)
Skol
The 1991 Halloween Blizzard (not slang, but if you mention it, you will get a story out of anyone born before 1988)
Meat raffle
The U
The Mall or MOA
Strib
The Cities

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One that confuses people (my husband originally from out of state didn't know what I was talking about at first) is front room, pronounced "frunchroom" for the living room area. I think it's fairly Chicagoland specific.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a fellow Canuck, I have to add "eh", though honestly I don't *think* I say it very often. :lol:

Also housecoat, Kraft Dinner, and of course, "zed" for the letter Z

But what's Dep? And is Humidex only a Canadian term? :dunno:
Greetings Canuck 😎 I know right? I'm on the same boat, eh :lol:

It's from my Quebec upbringing - short for "Dépanneur" :)

And apparently Humidex is! Or at least Canadian developed, only just discovered recently that it was unique to Canada/Canadian Meteorologists. My American friends never heard of it, but if any other of our neighbours would like to mention otherwise feel free!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One that confuses people (my husband originally from out of state didn't know what I was talking about at first) is front room, pronounced "frunchroom" for the living room area. I think it's fairly Chicagoland specific.
Reading that reminded me of when I was little, the living room was referred to as the "front room". But it's been years now since I've heard anything other than living room. And, AFAIK, there were no Chicagoland connections here.

Just googled and found this:
"Front room and living room are synonyms, and the term living room is much more common. It seems that there are three different variables associated with which term is used, and that social class or income is the least of these. Front room is more British or English than American."

It's from my Quebec upbringing - short for "Dépanneur" :)
Had to google that too. ;)

And apparently Humidex is! Or at least Canadian developed, only just discovered recently that it was unique to Canada/Canadian Meteorologists.
Really interesting. Learn something new every day. :)

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reading that reminded me of when I was little, the living room was referred to as the "front room". But it's been years now since I've heard anything other than living room. And, AFAIK, there were no Chicagoland connections here.

Just googled and found this:
"Front room and living room are synonyms, and the term living room is much more common. It seems that there are three different variables associated with which term is used, and that social class or income is the least of these. Front room is more British or English than American."
But did you pronounce it frunchroom or were the words more separated?