Question of the Day - Tuesday, December 29

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The National Gallery of Art on the Mall in DC. It's built in a Roman style, and I always loved the gardens surrounded by rooms, the splashing fountains, and the marble columns around the gardens. I could imagine what it was like to live in such a place in the Roman era.

The fountains were probably there to keep the air humid to preserve the paintings in the days before humidifiers. Even so, it is beautiful.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The buildings and parks designed by Gaudí in Barcelona! I was stunned by how beautiful and interesting they were.
YES!
Just posted about this right above!
I was blown away by all of his work while visiting some years back. I think we hit up every possible structure he designed LOL

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Goodness.. not sure which to choose...
A lot of the places in China.. the Forbidden City, but for some reason the Hall of Prayer for Good Harvest had a really strong effect on me, as did some of the very old British churches. Many of the cloisters of Italy with extraordinary statues and, if you can call it a building, a tiny burial mound in Wales, stuck in the middle of a paddock with no signs or fuss. Inside felt like it was stepping back into ancient times.
We don't have anything that old in Australia, unless you count the caves with ancient art, which are really special. And 'old' seems to be what I'm attracted to with buildings, although the Mona Gallery in Hobart is pretty special.. you feel as though you're going down into the bowels of the earth, which you sort of are!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
There are a lot of interesting places i visited. Not long ago, I did a Summer Homes of the Victorian Age Wealthy tour in Newport, RI . I was so amazed by the architecture and the beautiful painted ceilings. I also loved the well maintained grounds surrounding the property. Wow! So that's how the other half lived in the Victorian era.😯
This is a perfect example of taking things near where you live for granted. I‘ve been inside these numerous times and never would have thought of them as an answer to this question.

Here in the Northeast we have so many historical buildings, amazing cathedrals, etc. My answer will be some of the places I visited in Ireland and walking around some ruins.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a perfect example of taking things near where you live for granted. I‘ve been inside these numerous times and never would have thought of them as an answer to this question.

Here in the Northeast we have so many historical buildings, amazing cathedrals, etc. My answer will be some of the places I visited in Ireland and walking around some ruins.
My original reply was going to be about some of the castles I visited in Ireland, but I had such a great time in Newport, R.I. that I thought I mention that instead. Hopefully, I will not only go back to Newport, but Ireland as well--I have relatives over there. I ❤ Ireland.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With me it's not the buildings which leave an impression, it's the atmosphere. Wherever there are tourists, I seem to switch off, buy a guide book and then forget that I was actually inside.

Some early memories never to be forgotten:

Tower of London travelling by bus, probably on a wet Sunday, before it was restored and didn't cost a small fortune for a family to visit, when it was more black than white, no queuing to enter! Reading the sign "Bloody Tower" and seeing the murky Thames which at high tide would have drowned anybody imprisoned in the dungeon below.

On a sunny day: Corfe Castle in Dorset, England - visit with about 40 other kids and playing roundheads and cavaliers in the ruins

London bus again followed by a walk across fields to Down House (Charles Darwin's home) with 30 schoolgirls. Amazing collection of his drawings and possessions

More recently: it was a business trip, I was on my own and I just happened to walk into La Madeleine in Paris where a wedding was taking place - almost brought tears to my eyes!

The laboratory of Alexander Fleming (discoverer of penicillin) at St Mary's Hospital in Paddington. London.

I have visited many famous buildings, but perhaps architecture is just not my thing!